+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Downgrade Win7 SATA Driver in General; Hi all Anyone out there know where I can get (free) the SATA driver for HPG61 HDD MODEL - WD3200BEVT ...
    Thank Post

Downgrade Win7 SATA Driver

Hi all

Anyone out there know where I can get (free) the SATA driver for HPG61 HDD MODEL - WD3200BEVT to downgrade to XP? I'm have no luck, going round and round....

Hugely appreciated.

Carol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To help we would need more information about the laptop, the full product name will be on a sticker on the bottom of the laptop along with the serial number and product number. As a generic hard drive it specificly does not need a driver in windows XP. I assume that you are looking for the SATA controller driver, if we know the full model of the laptop this should be obtainable from the manufacturer of the chipset itself. Not that I personally recommend going back to XP, I know retro is cool but I would only be downgrading if you are forced to for uniformaty purposes with your machines.

Thank Post
    Hi

Yes uniformity downgrading.....haven't yet gone all in Win7 - need lots of prep on this as have hundreds of clients currently XP... yep SATA controller. When booting from XP it can't find the SATA driver, there's an option to install 3rd party drivers so if I had it I could install at this point. I've been on to Western Dig and HP.....they (HP) want me to buy (actually pay money....) for a recovery cd!!

Cheers mate

HPG61-410SA (Model)
    VY441EA#ABU (product)
    CNF0043W7H (serial)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The other option which is almost certainly quicker and easier is to go into the BIOS and set the SATA mode to IDE emulation so that XP sees it as an older type of drive controller and will just install without any hassle.

EDIT: Looking around there is very little information on this laptop as it is a consumer line one so the quickspecs are not published. It is still possible to find out what kind of controller is in the laptop by checking in device manager within the Windows7 install first to find out. Then you would be able to look for the specific drivers for that controller. I'd probbaly just use the BIOS emulation as apart from a tiny speed hit there is no downside and it makes it much easier.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 23rd June 2010 at 05:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Laptop is Win home not Win Pro - can't see SATA in bios, hence my quest....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Device manager is still about in the home edition and the storage controller should be listed under storage controllers. You could also use something like everest home edition to scan the hardware from inside the existing OS to find out what the controller is so that you can reinstall it once you find the drivers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure that's an Intel chipset (I think it's ICH9 but there's about a million HP G61 machines on their website!)

They don't seem to provide the drivers - I'd guess they don't expect people to need them (you don't for Windows 7) - but you can download them for another machine.

Go to: HP EliteBook 2530p Notebook PC- Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver - HP Business Support Center

(if the link doesn't work it's the HP2530P; choose XP and then the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Driver)
    Download that and then extract it (open it with 7Zip or just let it run; it starts by extracting files to c:\swsetup)

In the winall\driver folder you'll find the stuff that needs to go on a floppy for F6 during the install.

That may not work; I'm guessing the laptop doesn't have a floppy drive (but you're laughing if it does!) and not all USB floppies will work with XP setup (don't ask why; it's just one of those things that MS do to make my life a misery :-)) If it doesn't work then look up nlite integrate AHCI drivers and make a new XP boot CD.

Thank Post
    Hi Steve

Thanks for your response. The process works but drivers can't be the right ones for this machine as blue screen of death when starting windows and floppy drive spins up!!
    Carol

Thank Post
    News | DriverPacks.net

I found this great little program from the edugeek essential software list.

Basically, take a copy of your XP install disk to hard drive, run the driverpacks software with the driver packs you want (I made one with all of them), point them towards the copied disk folder, then use The Official ImgBurn Website to make a new bootable XP disc; which comes with all the drivers built in. All the instructions you need are on those two sites. (You likely need to make a bootable DVD, unless you are only using specific driverpacks. All the packs takes up about 1.2-1.6GB)

I made one of these this week, and shoved it in an old laptop i found in a cupboard. It took about an hour longer than normal as it had to decompress all the driver packs, but installed with no fuss at all, and installed itself with every driver fully working except for the modem, the pack for which I left out.

Thank Post
    If you need help making a customized XP disk let me know, I've worked with the driverpack community for some time.

To answer your question....

you want a Windows XP Disk (preferred to be slipstreamed with SP3) and download the DP_BASE. Download just the mass storage drivers (put others in there if you want I suppose, but they are not needed).

For the mass storage drivers make sure you check the box that says TEXT MODE. The rest should be seamless.

Lemme know if ya need more pointers.

--ssx--

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread