+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
General Chat Thread, Its almost budget time.... in General; I agree - it could have been a lot worse...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,480 Posts
    I agree - it could have been a lot worse

PEO
    Thank Post
    myself and the wife planned ahead and created a new budget, we realised that we could do with out some things, so we have cut back on them, next step is our mobile phone contracts. All in all we are both planning for the next 5 year so we dont fall into dept.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I agree - it could have been a lot worse
    I don't think you can say that until the "review process" has run its course and we see really see the practical effects of the cuts (not least to our pensions and working conditions) on all the services that we have become used to.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I don't think you can say that until the "review process" has run its course and we see really see the practical effects of the cuts (not least to our pensions and working conditions) on all the services that we have become used to.
    Of course - but at first glance it isn't as vicious as it could have been.

Thank Post
    Well this is my plan to handle the cuts:

1) Buy all house hold goods on my Argos card
    2) Pay for shopping with my Asda credit card
    3) Pay for diesel on my MasterCard
    4) Use mobile phone contracts as an easy way to get 'cashback'
    5) Extend my already maxed out loan
    6) Sell the wifes gold at 'makemerichquick.com'

NOTE: I don't really have that much debt!

But on a serious note, how long did the country believe that could get everything on tick, and owe money here and there? I was brought up in the height of the miners strike, and my family literally didn't have two pennies to rub together. My Mam and Dad went through some rough times, but not once did they get into debt - they simply lived within their means. What the hell gave labour the right to tell people they could have what they wanted, when they wanted, without having to worry about the consequences?!

I was brought up with "you save for it. if you cant save for it then you cant have it". If I wanted a new car I made sure the money was in the bank, and not spread across 'easy payments'.

Personally, I think we were in the eye of the storm with Labour (and I'm from a strongly opinioned labour family). To me it looks like the storm is moving on, even though we have to weather the worst part of it yet.

Thank Post
    What the hell gave labour the right to tell people they could have what they wanted, when they wanted, without having to worry about the consequences?!
    I disagree that this is a political issue. People can't help but want more stuff, and are goaded into believing that they can have what they want by the companies that are going to take their last pennies. The ultimate problem is that we are a greedy country, and no change in government can change that. I doubt the recession or a new government will see the decline of store cards or finance for getting a new sofa.

Thank Post
    Credit cards and loans, outside of mortgages are all a waste of time.

So many of my friends live in the red; they have credit cards or overdrafts which they run to the limit, get paid which brings them back in the green, and then restart the process.

I'm 25 now, i've had one payment on a credit card, it was there for less than 2 weeks before I paid it (honeymoon in the US, they like credit cards over there). One training company loan (for a train at home scheme i got screwed on, long story for another day), and my mortgage, which I pay the repayments on comfortably.

I have never got how people can live in their overdraft like that, and still do things like holidays, new TV's, new cars. My concience just wouldn't let me do it.

All in all, as long as interest rates don't screw up, and they don't kill the school system completely, I should be fine with the new budget.
    I have no debts, not on any benefits, have a good lump of savings, due to inherit a fair sum from some recently deceased granparents (but not enough to really get stung on). I don't drink much, don't smoke, and I live close enough to work if I had to i could walk or cycle.

My big worry is the screw up part; there is a good chance, that the cuts to the education sector could see me severely restricted on future prospects. I'm now looking at no pay rises, unlikely to get a paygrade review, less likely to get a new job elsewhere in my field, a nerf to my pension, and a complete lack of money and resources to do my job effectively.
    I liked education, because through the recession it was a safe place to be. Now, public sector is quite a dangerous place to be working, I'm wondering if I'd be better off in the private sector.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mwnci View Post
    I disagree that this is a political issue. People can't help but want more stuff, and are goaded into believing that they can have what they want by the companies that are going to take their last pennies. The ultimate problem is that we are a greedy country, and no change in government can change that. I doubt the recession or a new government will see the decline of store cards or finance for getting a new sofa.
    I don't mind that - people are responsible for their own spending - I mind that I am having to pay (both in cash and in the quality of service I receive) to bail out the people who did overspend (and that includes you - bankers!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567