+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Its almost budget time.... in General; Originally Posted by tech_guy I've just found a website for jobs in Poland. Bonus. Care to share?...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I've just found a website for jobs in Poland. Bonus.
    Care to share?

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. Thanks to tech_guy from:

LosOjos (22nd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts
    This gif sums it up for me....

5. 3 Thanks to mattx:

LosOjos (22nd June 2010), Sarconia (22nd June 2010), tech_guy (22nd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Anyone want to quit their job and form an IT Consulting company with me?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Anyone want to quit their job and form an IT Consulting company with me?
    How much are you paying

Thank Post
    Depends how much business you bring in

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty certain we could get a huge consultancy firm going, with offices all over the country.

Now, who's going to the bank for the business loan?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    While everyone has been discussing VAT, wage freezes etc.....

Did anybody spot "He said his Budget implied further £17bn cuts in departmental spending by 2014/15, unprotected departments face an average real cut of around 25% over four years. "

So there is more bad news to come, when they decide where this axe falls.....
    yeah, i did notice that.

but i also picked up on osbourne saying that there would be no cuts in capital investment. quite how we can have a situation where departmental cuts amount to 25% over four years without capital spending cuts.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What an idiot - he goes on about fighting child poverty but then freezes child allowance and puts up VAT !!- what a pratt.
    A progressive alliance ? Who is trying to kid ?
    wait a minute. don't do a harperson and fly off the handle like a complete wally.

The 10p tax rate has been reinstated, there's a rise in the amount before which income tax is payable, there are some tax credits increases that will benefit the poor [albeit linking to RPI overall is supposed to 'save' the govt. money], NO public sector pay freeze for those on low incomes.

The most regressive bit of VAT [an increase applied to food and clothes] has been avoided. If we weigh up all of that lot with the points you mention are the poor technically better or worse off ?

i have to side with sparky, there is no reasoned debate on this thread. The same old guff about the libdems selling out and the tories favouring the rich.
    Gordon Brown reducing capital gains to 18% helped the rich, but there was no mention of that while piddly amounts in increases for child benefit and pensions were being delivered in past nulabour budgets.

What a gullible, all too easily convinced [by past nulab budgets] lot some of you are.
    Last edited by torledo; 22nd June 2010 at 06:30 PM.

12. 6 Thanks to torledo:

BatchFile (24th June 2010), elsiegee40 (23rd June 2010), featured_spectre (23rd June 2010), Hightower (28th June 2010), kevbaz (23rd June 2010), Silvor (23rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Depends how much business you bring in
    Ahhh, yes - reminds me why I don't like working in the private sector - thanks for that!

Speaking of impending cuts. Not to much detail as of now but had an interesting conversation with a deputy head earlier whose suggest that the LA needs to claw back some money this financial year and so some of my IT budget may be cut. Can't say it was unexpected, just suprised it happened so soon. I was hoping atleast to get to next April before the axe fell.

Thank Post
    I.T. cuts no doubt will be the first to happen. They are getting rid of 25 % of the education budget. More and more open source, less spare parts, before more and more resourceful and not looking forward to a pay rise. Good luck!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    What a gullible, all too easily convinced [by past nulab budgets] lot some of you are.
    I heartily agree - and would add that some of you lot seem easily convinced by the current tory rhetoric as well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the rhetoric is getting to me, I'm just looking at the state the country is in, and realising that we are in need of cuts and changes. Personally, I would still have preferred them to delay the cuts until the recession was slightly further behind us, but we can't all get what we want.

The tory cuts plan does actually seem pretty wide-ranging and relatively fair. We could all argue until we're blue in the face over whether cutting corporation tax is the right thing to do, but that would just be an argument of different economic models. Being from the Isle of Man, I know that low corporation tax can bring a huge amount of business to your country, so I can see it working to some extent. However, there are only some sorts of businesses who would be looking at that sort of cost saving - other areas will base themselves in places like Hong Kong due to the relatively high availability of cheap manufacturing and cheap labour in the rest of China.

So, yes, poor people are going to be worse off. We all are, rich and poor. Whatever the government did though, the rich would be able to weather it a lot better than the poor simply because they're rich! Even if their income taxes were increased further, they'd still be able to weather it just fine, but might decide to leave the UK and set up shop elsewhere...

So, the Tories are relatively fair, but premature IMO. At the same time, I don't think Labour would have been too much different with anything they wanted to do if they'd won...

One thing I do disagree with though, is them scrapping the tax relief that was planned for the video games industry though, as that is going to devastate what little we've got left, and will just lead to companies such as EA buying up any remaining independent software houses.

Thank Post
    It's all spin... lies, damned lies, & politics........

We had a long spell of Tory politics, until people got fed up & voted them out.

Now we have had a long spell of New Labour politics & people got fed up with them & voted them out.....

The only question is how long will people put up with the ConDems? The lies are already coming out from the budget.... VAT increases, protecting the poor......

If things go from bad to worse will they survive their first term of office before the coalition collapses? If things improve will people give them another term?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    At the same time, I don't think Labour would have been too much different with anything they wanted to do if they'd won...
    it's the labour shrieking voices which probably prevent the tories from going further with spending cuts. I think labour would have needlessly continued to protect spending beyond what was necessary.....they probably couldn't believe their luck when they were forced to bring forward!!! spending to combat the recession. LOL
    And the libdem presence in the coaltion prevented the tories from going further with tax incentives.....so all in all it's a pretty boring emergency budget. I am uncomfortable with the poor suffering aswell as the rich, but let's not forget that brown-blair weren't really committed to giving the rich a haircut either. Capital gains, non-doms, financial liberalisation [none of that was really tackled was it ?]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast