+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Best Cable Router? in General; Hi Guys and Gals! Just need some ideas really as I'm pretty stumped and advice would come handy! Basically, we ...

Thank Post

Best Cable Router?

Hi Guys and Gals!

Just need some ideas really as I'm pretty stumped and advice would come handy! Basically, we have cable broadband with an Atlantic Cable Modem. Since getting this, we've gone through 2 routers (connecting the modem and router to the dedicated internet port with a cross-over) which have been complete pants! First one was a Netgear WNR4400. Bombed out and become unresponsive within the first year. Sent back for a replacement and that was just the same. It always crashed and overheated.

We ended up getting a Linksys Business Router (labelled as Cisco too!). This one has been no end of trouble! I've tried custom firmware (made no difference), many resets and stops responding (wireless mainly) every few days and needs a hard reset. This seems to heat up a lot too!

Are there any routers that don't crash and would be suitable for a cable modem to be linked to? Price isn't an issue and really only need the essentials that you'd get on any router (port forwarding, a little bit of firewall security). VPN isn't needed. N wireless would be a plus and I'd be happy to hear how you've got your Virgin Media broadband setup at home.

I'm just fed up with the home (and business) based routers which have been unreliable so far. Even hunting high and low on the internet, I can't find a router with a solid set of positive reviews.

Thanks!

Thank Post
    I've got virgin media and use a DLINk DIR-615.

I got it for cheap off ebay <£25 brand new.

Have the modem connected to the router and a network cable from the router connected to my pc.

Had no problems with it so far!

Thank Post
    Crossover? Are you sure its ment to be this way? My virgin kit certainly isnt crossover.

I wouldnt normally think it owuld be a problem but since you have had problems with several different routers...

How about using an old PC and installing Endian firewall or Smoothwall, or even ISA? Ive run Endian and smoothwall for years now and the only downtime has been when the power has gone off and when a HD broke.

Thank Post
    ive got a buffalo - WDS enabled so you can bridge in future

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Take a look at Zyxel stuff. I use a Zyxel DSL router and it is flawless. This would be the equivalent cable one - Zyxel NBG-419N 300Mbps cable router (91-003-222003B) - dabs.com

Thank Post
    I have the DLINk DIR-615 from Virgin, IMO a load of pants. It needs resetting every week or so. The lights are on, my PCs are all connected but no internet access. My Linksys WRT54G was much more reliable, shame it doesn't like the 50Mb line.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    DLink DIR615 here and it works perfectly.

It does everything I need and a nice touch with it is the ability to plug a USB hard drive into it and share it on the network.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    I have the DLINk DIR-615 from Virgin, IMO a load of pants. It needs resetting every week or so. The lights are on, my PCs are all connected but no internet access. My Linksys WRT54G was much more reliable, shame it doesn't like the 50Mb line.
    I had the same problem with the same model. But only on my Win7 netbook after reconnecting at home. I installed NetSetMan and so far no problems.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had a Netgear WPN824 for about 7 years now. I'd like to replace it, but it's been totally reliable
    That's bad isn't it? I'm unhappy because it have a totally reliable piece of kit!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I've had a Netgear WPN824 for about 7 years now. I'd like to replace it, but it's been totally reliable
    That's bad isn't it? I'm unhappy because it have a totally reliable piece of kit!
    @Dos_Box: that's not sad, it's the sign of a true geek, unhappy that you can't justify an upgrade

@Tunster: I'm also using a D-LINK DIR615, it's been functioning flawlessly for 9 months now without a single reset and me only having to tweak settings for my own needs, regular use it would have been fine, and this is despite the occasional power cut knocking it out, can't knock it really!

Thank Post
    D-LINK DIR615 with no problems whatsoever. Never needed a reset. Also linked to a Netgear FS105.

Thank Post
    I went to a Netgear router after having a Belkin that its PSU died, went to a Linksys which was poor then to a Belkin which was ok then wanted something with more features so went to Netgear. I would recommend Watchguard we use their stuff at work, cant fault it. Another one to look at is DrayTek.

Best site for bits is Wireless Router, ADSL Router/Modem, Broadband Router, VoIP, NAS | Broadbandbuyer.co.uk I think, can't fault them.

Thank Post
    When I had virgin I had a Netgear WGR 614, and it never fell over, did run hot if not placed in an area of adequate ventilation. Before that had a Draytek, not cheap but packed full of features and very reliable. Would love to buy one for my adsl but can't justify it!!

I'd avoid belkin due to wireless issues i've dealt with on a number of them, Dlink seem to run hot, but are reliable, and some you can install custom firmware like the open source router thing, names gone from top of my head just now!!

Thank Post
    Draytek make the sexiest routers in the world for the price.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by difinity View Post
    What about the netgear they gave you for free with the 50Mb? mine's been fine so far to say it's netgear. The web management part of it is horrendously slow though.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast