+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Temporal distortion in General; My daughter's friend invited us all up to the local last night to watch the England - USA match, so ...

Thank Post

Temporal distortion

My daughter's friend invited us all up to the local last night to watch the England - USA match, so we had a stroll up there in the evening sunshine. We all got settled in with about 10 minutes to kick off when a young lady in an England shirt came over to me and said,
    "Hello Mr. R. how are you? Alright?"
    I guessed she was between 20-25 years old, and I hadn't a clue who she was, so I just played along (in case it turned out I did know who it was). So I said I was fine, looking forward to the match, and how was she? She rattled on about the previous World Cup and then pointing to the three women on my left said,
    "Are these your daughters?"
    So I replied that the one in the middle was, the one on the left was my wife (I'm not above scoring cheap points) and the one on the right was my daughter's friend, then everything became muffled, and I had a strange feeling that if I looked down I'd see that I was wearing pyjama bottoms, and the backs of my hands would be wrinkled and mottled with age spots. I realized that I was actually in a care home somewhere, drifting away on a stream of memories from back in 2010, and this young lady was the nurse come to give me my tablets or something.
    I heard her voice coming back into focus and asked her to repeat what she'd just said.
    "I'll see you when you come in for your next haircut then"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    You been watching Flash Forward again ?

Thank Post
    The classic person out of their "normal place where you'd see them" syndrome!
    It amazes me how much info barbers/hairdresser's remember, must be part of their training!

Thank Post
    You're not alone Beeswax! I finished work on Friday and thought I'd get some food shopping. Someone was jumping up and down like crazy and I didn't realise that they were trying to attract my attention. It was the person who normally serves me at the local garden centre and even then I didn't recognise them!.... -slaps head-

Thank Post
    I once greeted Bill Pertwee - Hodges from Dads army - as a long lost friend because I was convinced he was someone I actually knew! Thankfully he was very gentlemanly and just went along with it, although thinking about it now he may have had a beeswax moment!

Thank Post
    You been watching Flash Forward again ?
    Would be the only person that does.

I once greeted Bill Pertwee - Hodges from Dads army - as a long lost friend because I was convinced he was someone I actually knew!
    Don't think you can help it. Nearly did that with some genial minor TV celeb the other month and had what I can only describe as a little battle going on in my head: Sub-concious was firmly trying to make me engage friendly-protocol, conscious was screaming stop and trying to work out why.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Had a similar one last week.
    Was standing at the door of a restaurant waiting to be seated when a chap popped up and said hello. So I proceeded to ask for a table for two. He laughed and I frowned. I repeated my requested and we both looked a bit confused at each other until I realised it was the guy I lived with for 5 years at uni with a slightly different haircut.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,450 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My dad has a Fish & Chip Shop. Many times when out and about the customers greet him asif they are good friends. My dad has no idea who most of these are. Hundreds of people coming in and out and these people think you know everyone of them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    when i worked in retail, i used to serve many a young people, when i went clubbing, alot came up to me sayin "ahh you work in X store", and the strange thing is, i did recognise them! (I have a fantastic memory for faces)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Saw the actor Meera Syal on Falmer train station yesterday - with her daughter - as was I - having been around Sussex Uni. Just for a second I thought I knew her and NEARLY said 'hello'. Glad I didn't though. Either noone noticed her or they were all being very English and polite, as noone said or did anything to indicate that they knew who she was, except me who hissed 'It's Meera Syal' very loudly to my daughter!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Who's Meera Syal?

Thank Post
    Someone you recognise from lots of things over the years .. including Dr Who a couple of weeks ago.

PS: Although you might not from the "granny" role in The Kumars at No 42.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't watch Dr Who or The Kumars.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I don't watch Dr Who or The Kumars.
    She has been in quite a lot of things - she is also an author ( her books have been made into films), a playwright and a journalist

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread