+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What's binary Dad? in General; I think someone should fire up an old BBC, shove in a tape in the tape drive and force the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Re: What's binary Dad?

I think someone should fire up an old BBC, shove in a tape in the tape drive and force the youngsters to watch it loading - and try ask them to work out what the next numbers / letters are in sequence.
    If memory serves me right, it used to load in Hex....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    I was taught binary. AS Level maths and AS Level ICT did some small amount of binary. Not enough to be tested on it, but enough to explain how it works and you could have quite easily picked it up from that.
    I was taught it as well, but as i remember there was a different course for ICT and computing, the computing course being more techy while ICT was use of applications etc. At least that how it was at my college.

However, I did binary (and some basic and VB programming) at GCSE level, and that wasn't that long ago (graduated in 2000) - so I think it depends on your exam board/ school

Thank Post

ICT was indeed more about applications and presentation of data such as using database and spreadsheet packages. But saying that you have to cover stuff such as network topology and various components. They teach you the difference between a hub and a switch and a MAC address and an IP address.

So there's a bit more technical stuff to it than just using applications. But I will agree that it did appear to be mostly just that.

Thank Post

^Sorta the same at my college except "IT" had sweet FA to do with computers and more to do with being pedantic.

For the first 3 weeks we learned the sum total of "how do you put an elephant/giraffe/other large animal in a fridge?"
    Answer - just put him in. The size of the fridge wasnt stated therefore as far as we're concerned it will fit.

As you probably guessed i dropped that class.

Thank Post

I learned what binary hex etc was when i did BTEC electronics and A level maths.

Thank Post

From my experience of school (being a student in one up until 2001), they teach you diddly squat for what is useful.

I code computer games in my spare time. Some fundamental maths that is generally required:

Vectors, Matricies.

Neither of these are taught in GCSE any more, let alone Binary/Hex. And my IT Training? The teachers couldn't tell the difference between a database and a spreadsheet (since Access/Excel both present things in a 'table' format). I'm reasonably confident that a lot of teachers don't know what normalisation is.

Most of what I know I learned off my own back, and a few modules in my course at Uni taught me a few new things. But GCSE/A-Level stuff? What a waste of time!

It is sad that some of these things are no longer taught. Instead these days its far more important to teach funky subjects like 'citizenship' to turn kids into 'global citizens'. What what whaaaaat?

Thank Post

Binary was drilled in to me! When i went to college for my Diploma, we had a lesson (cant remember the name of it now) and the lecturer did Binary and Hex with us for the WHOLE semester (September - February-ish).

Me and my college mates gave him the original name of Binary Mike (he taught us Binary, and his name was Mike...it figures!) and he didn't like it one bit.

However, I have forgotten the majority of what to do with binary (adding, subtracting, multiplying, dividing etc etc)!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd
    I remember being taught binary at primary, 3rd year juniors(early 1980's).
    I must be old
    I think I can beat you. Bristol Grammar School, late 60's. I can clearly remember Mr Smith (one of those old-fashioned inspirational teachers) doing binary, using the triple light switch in the classroom. OK, it only went up to 111 (aka 7), but it was probably the very start of my own personal slippery slope to where I am today.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Someone explain hex to me as I don't understand it at all.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,165 Times in 990 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here y'go. This isn't me being lazy, it's jut too long to go into fright now.

Hexadecimal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    i was taught binary/hex/octal when I was studying for my Computing A-level 1999-2001 (in a girl's grammar school lol), and then I had to learn it again when I was studying for my degree but I can't remember which unit I studied it in. I still randomly use it as have been studying for my MCDST and it came up as one of the practice questions in the first exam.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by My220x View Post
    I was taught all about binary last year but I've completely forgotten most of it now.

Thank Post
    I learnt it in 2003... We spent more time learning Pascal's triangle (which a fool could work out) than we did on Binary though.

I've never really used it since then, I can just about remember how it works, would need a piece of paper to work it out on though.

An evil spell

Or more relevantly, it uses 0-9, A-F instead of just 1 and 0?
    Last edited by Lithium; 9th April 2008 at 08:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Binary wasn't taught in school for me. I knew about it in a sorta 'i'm a geek so find things out myself' kinda way, but was taught it properly as part of my degree course.

Although, I did learn logic in gcse electronics.

Thank Post
    I had to learn it for doing "graphics" on an Acorn electron. Changing character maps to look like an aliens.

= 0,24,60,42,60,24,36,66 = a little space invader for a game you had to code yourself.

I mean kids today, bah!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast