+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stupid Football! in General; ORIGAMI...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ORIGAMI

Thank Post
    someones broken tech_guy!

3. Thanks to mrbios from:

tech_guy (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwoods123 View Post
    The simplification of football to "kicking a bag of wind about" is entirely ridiculous. One could apply the same principle to all arts, sports, and basically anything that isn't inherently productive. You wouldn't say Michelangelo's ceiling in the Sistine Chapel - just a bit of paint splashed about. The fact is that whether or not you appreciate the sport, these people are true artists in their fields.
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    And as for the "they get paid millions for kicking a bag of air" rubbish... Actors, Boxers, Golfers and everyone in between get paid a small fortune for being hit/hitting a small ball with a stick/reading lines from a TV and I never hear a bad word said about them!
    I would have commented about the other "artists" mentioned above too, but this was a football related thread! I just feel that there are people in this world that do jobs that are more deserving of a salary of that nature.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    someones broken tech_guy!
    Don't worry, it was a buffer overflow. I'm alright now.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    I would have commented about the other "artists" mentioned above too, but this was a football related thread! I just feel that there are people in this world that do jobs that are more deserving of a salary of that nature.
    I completely agree with that statement 100% but blaming footballers for the poor pay nurses get, for example, means nothing. Its the nature of the beast, we value celebrities and entertainers over anything these days... just look at the crap "heat" and all the other celeb gossip mags you women feed off!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I completely agree with that statement 100% but blaming footballers for the poor pay nurses get, for example, means nothing. Its the nature of the beast, we value celebrities and entertainers over anything these days... just look at the crap "heat" and all the other celeb gossip mags you women feed off!
    I wasn't blaming the footballers, I was suggesting that the system was out of true - as people have said, it's not money coming from taxes etc, they're generating it, but it doesn't make it right. And I do resent the remark that I might feed off the gossip mags - I can't stand them... I have no wish to know who's diddling who, and who's had some balloons implanted into their chest thanks!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Don't worry, it was a buffer overflow. I'm alright now.
    No your not.

9. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    I firmly fall into the 'hate it' camp - I don't care if that makes me unpopular or unpatriotic or any other carp that someone may 'make up' just because I'm a bloke who hates football (infact I'm not a sporty person at all - not even remotely).

I'm not saying everyone has to hate it or any of that - but as jamesb said... why all the mania? You want to enjoy your football, go for it - be my guest, but it's absolutely manic out there. Flags everywhere, horns... I mean it's like the country goes crazy over a GAME - in which regular life MUST stop and everyone MUST support and watch. I agree that no-one here is saying that explicitly... but with all the mania about it feels like it's being rammed down my throat and that's what I really hate.

If I've upset any football-lovers then I apologise, I'm not trying to make enemies or urinate on someone's fun - just remember that there are those of us who just can't stick it.

Az

Thank Post
    I wasn't blaming the footballers, I was suggesting that the system was out of true - as people have said, it's not money coming from taxes etc, they're generating it, but it doesn't make it right. And I do resent the remark that I might feed off the gossip mags - I can't stand them... I have no wish to know who's diddling who, and who's had some balloons implanted into their chest thanks!
    What's to resent? You don't read them so it's not aimed at you! But it is the sad fact that it's what feed people today and why everyone is celeb centric! Ho hum such is life

Thank Post
    It's a good job we're all different, life would be very dull if we were all the same

Thank Post
    It's a good job we're all different, life would be very dull if we were all the same
    Exactly ;-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here, all you footy lovers - here's the perfect accessory for you:

Play.com (UK) : Inflatable Wife (World Cup Version) : Gadgets - Free Delivery

Thank Post
    I fall between the categories into the i don't care list.

I enjoy playing football, and have done since an early age. It's fun, energetic, and takes some skill. But after I broke some bones while playing for a youth team, and then spent several months standing on the sideline watching my friends play football, I lost the ability to get interested by coloured specs on a flat screen poking a "Bag of wind" about while some guy has to talk incessently for 90 minutes, because noone can make out who the players actually are.
    I held a football party a while back, when they did the internet-only feed for the england game; i was the only person at the time of everyone i knew that had networked their house properly, and had a big and stable enough connection to handle it. And I enjoy watcing the football with a few friends... Especially as I have a South African friend, sporting events can be good fun to watch (Cricket, rugby, football....) due to the fun banter. But i don't go in for packing 800 people into a place that should only hold 50, getting riotously drunk, and yelling at a screen that you haven't been able to distinguish anyone on for the entirely of the game.

I am considering getting a TV antenna for my TV upstairs, and sticking it on my TV in my study, while I play something else, so i can say I "Watched" it, and take the piss out of whichever side we happen to be beating/beaten by at the time, since I have friends all over the world on Teamspeak and IRC who I can exchange banter with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by azrael78 View Post
    in which regular life MUST stop
    But this is my 'regular' life. I can't get enough of it, and life for me STARTS when football is on the tele/on the local pitch/on FIFA.

“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.”Shanks

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    I have very little interest in the game by in a 'roundabout way' was 'by default' a member of an FA Cup winning team.

Royal Engineers A.F.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast