+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Stupid Football! in General; Originally Posted by witch Why should football be special Football isn't special though, well at least not by me. I ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Why should football be special
    Football isn't special though, well at least not by me. I love watching my country at all sports. Football, Rugby, Cricket, Olympics - you name it and if they are wearing an England/GB shirt I'll be sat there watching. I remember the Rugby World Cup years ago when pubs were opening at the crack of dawn so people could go in and watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    when glorified football hooligans with a sense of direction get paid millions to kick as solitare puts it "a bag of wind" about!
    Do you like films? Do you watch your series and things like that?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I hate football. The next month will be made even more worse as I live with two avid Boro fans who, no doubt, will be plastering the walls with posters and flags and other associated tat they can pick up relating to the world cup.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Like Mattx, I've been buying in loads of books, magazines and DVDs to keep me busy. Plus I'm starting a load of new projects so I'll have plenty to occupy my mind. The only thing I'll be watching on TV is F1 and the news (which gets turned off when any nonsense about football comes on).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    I'm with the football haters - I cannot see the point in a group of grown men kicking a bag of wind around. Then there's the fact that all normal life MUST stop because there's a game on. Oh, and don't even get me started on the inordinate money that they get paid for looking like a prat - anyone else up for recommending that the likes of the firemen and women get paid that amount instead of footballers?
    Too right! Not to mention that it's very odd that men are seen as not being "real men" unless they enjoy watching a bunch of generally athletic guys running around in shorts for a couple of hours...

Thank Post
    Ive been asked about streaming it onto the hall projector...

I do hate football, its an annoying game. When i have a saturday afternoon free i would rather play some BC2, atleast then i get some sense of achievement out of the afternoon.

And the pay thing annoys me, why should some brain dead moron who has slightly higher eye foot co-ordination than most get payed millions of pounds? sends the wrong message. A teacher said that one of the kids in her class didnt ever do home work because he had decided he wanted to be a footballer, and his mum agreed. On the other hand we do need people to work at spar and co-op so its not all bad.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Too right! Not to mention that it's very odd that men are seen as not being "real men" unless they enjoy watching a bunch of generally athletic guys running around in shorts for a couple of hours...
    Yes, I'm convinced that watching football has something to do with a deeply repressed homosexualised instinct....

7. Thanks to tech_guy from:

mattx (9th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Haha - I'd never thought of it quite like that, but you are right! I'm just glad that my man is a "real man" that doesn't feel the need to look at men in shorts

My home is a football free place. Thinking of advertising in our local paper as a football free zone - £50 entry

Thank Post
    Not really a fan. Does mean I get to wander around town or the beach at certain times while it is nigh on empty. Put a few bets on and joined in the staff competition. Beyond that it will mean even less on TV and nodding blankly in even more conversations.

Thank Post
    I will admit to disliking the massive weight of coverage that surrounds football, to the detriment of other sports. I am also not much of a 'footy lad', but i do embrace the culture to some degree, the atmosphere at a match, the highs and lows and the good times when everyone gets together down the pub and enjoys a good game. And why not eh?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm the only one on my street that doesn't have either England flags on the car or in the house windows. One guy has even put up a great flagpole in his front garden with a massive England flag on it. I told him he needed planning permission for it - he thought I was joking but I'm right, he does

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Do you like films? Do you watch your series and things like that?
    I'd also say that the likes of Tom Cruise get paid way too much, but there does seem to be a modicum of business sense in movie/TV stars getting paid those sums (as they only get ridiculous wages if their films/shows continue to make money). Football clubs, on the other hand, seem to be constantly on the edge of bankruptcy - surely this suggests that they are paying the players too much?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @tech_guy A call to the council planning dept is in order

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I told him he needed planning permission for it - he thought I was joking but I'm right, he does
    I seem to remember that there is something in law about not being able to fly either the Union Flag or the St George Cross on domestic residences, but I can't remember exactly what it is - And they'll certainly be breaking with flag etiquette which states that a flag should not fly at night unless it is specifically illumated, amongst a whole host of other protocol... I digress.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Theblacksheep View Post
    Because rugby is a toffs game and cricket takes a whole day, at the very least....

you think football is boring, try watching a 3 day cricket match!
    "football is a gentleman’s game played by hooligans, and rugby is a hooligans’ game played by gentlemen"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    @tech_guy A call to the council planning dept is in order
    I think someone beat me to it as there was someone looking at it this morning according to the missus.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast