+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
General Chat Thread, Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks in General; Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel.... ...
  1. #1

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,131
    Thank Post
    1,907
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395

    Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks

    Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel....

    Gabor Talmacsi - Gabor Talmacsi, Donington Park, UK, 2005 - Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks - Photo Gallery - LIFE

  2. #2

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel....
    I bet you mutter to yourself everyday when you see one of us on our bikes.... "Christ, that could be me still....." Once a biker always a biker......You know it's true. I'm having to take it a little slower than usual on my 650 as I have two new tyres.....still trying to get the shine off them then it's back to normal.........

  3. #3
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel....

    Gabor Talmacsi - Gabor Talmacsi, Donington Park, UK, 2005 - Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks - Photo Gallery - LIFE
    I always cringe when I see riders with t-shirts and jeans 'screaming' past me. Those pictures just go to show how invaluable proper leathers are.

  4. #4
    ICT_GUY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Weymouth
    Posts
    2,261
    Thank Post
    646
    Thanked 283 Times in 204 Posts
    Rep Power
    104
    Since Weymouth council are destroying the road system here for the next year, the temptation to buy another bike is almost overpowering.

  5. #5

    tech_guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Posts
    8,131
    Thank Post
    1,907
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    395
    I must admit if I didn't have a 25 mile journey to work everyday I'd get another bike. Over the last ten years I've seen quite a few accidents and near-misses involving motorbikes that's put me off - I think half of Coventry's motorists are on drugs judging by the way they drive. At least in a car you've got some protection if some stoned idiot decides to t-bone you at a junction.

  6. #6

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,111
    Thank Post
    53
    Thanked 206 Times in 156 Posts
    Rep Power
    170
    Hmmm, following an accident a few years ago where I broke, my ankle, skull, nose and kneecap, had almost 8 hours of surgery and spent 6 weeks in hospital, missing out on a lucrative work contract, I decided that enough was enough (although I did still have 1 last bike ... a GPZ hardtail chop). However, there's not a day goes by that I don't get a pang of envy when a bike goes past my (queueing) car.

  7. #7

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    It's 13 miles for me to get into work - in my car it takes me an hour in the mornings. On my bike it takes me 15 mins. It's a no brainer. Over the holidays I normally bring in my kids so I use the car however, as there is no school traffic it takes 30 mins.
    I'm on my bike rain or shine, what does annoy me a tad are 'summer riders' - you know who you are, you don't like getting wet or cold so only use your bike 'when it's nice' - those people are not real bikers.

  8. #8

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,282
    Thank Post
    225
    Thanked 403 Times in 300 Posts
    Rep Power
    161
    Yesterday evening and this morning prove to me I love my bike even more. About 8 miles of tailbacks due to a slow moving highways truck mostly avoided by nice easy overtakes and then this morning the bridge was open so I could just slide along beside all the traffic and take my turning and then have an uninterrupted ride all the way to work. Though forgetting to put my inner lining in yesterday resulting in soggy trousers was not so good! Only thing I don't go out in is extremely high winds, ice and snow.

  9. #9

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Yesterday evening and this morning prove to me I love my bike even more. About 8 miles of tailbacks due to a slow moving highways truck mostly avoided by nice easy overtakes and then this morning the bridge was open so I could just slide along beside all the traffic and take my turning and then have an uninterrupted ride all the way to work. Though forgetting to put my inner lining in yesterday resulting in soggy trousers was not so good! Only thing I don't go out in is extremely high winds, ice and snow.
    Snow is great fun on a bike - just get ya knobby tires on.

  10. #10
    theeldergeek
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    It's 13 miles for me to get into work - in my car it takes me an hour in the mornings. On my bike it takes me 15 mins.
    13 miles takes an hour? Blimey, where do you live? I have an 15 mile run here, and on a bad day it takes me 30 mins max usually 20-25 and some of that is poodling along country roads. I feel sorry for people for whom the daily commute is a chore. I used to be a field engineer, and I've been stuck in some horrendous traffic jams. These days, I have a really nice car, great sound system, climate control if I need it... I just sit back and relax if I get caught in traffic, which is a rare occurrence. I think my days on the road made me a more patient driver ultimately.

  11. #11

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,152
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 767 Times in 578 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    Yeah, but scary things happen to cars, was at Oulton Park when YouTube - Crash GT Ginetta Oulton Park happened, very scary one.

  12. #12

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    13 miles takes an hour? Blimey, where do you live? I have an 15 mile run here, and on a bad day it takes me 30 mins max usually 20-25 and some of that is poodling along country roads. I feel sorry for people for whom the daily commute is a chore. I used to be a field engineer, and I've been stuck in some horrendous traffic jams. These days, I have a really nice car, great sound system, climate control if I need it... I just sit back and relax if I get caught in traffic, which is a rare occurrence. I think my days on the road made me a more patient driver ultimately.
    West London - just about says it all.

  13. #13
    CAM
    CAM is offline

    CAM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Burgh Heath, Surrey
    Posts
    4,022
    Thank Post
    803
    Thanked 346 Times in 270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    60
    Rep Power
    278
    How do you bikers handle leathers etc when you get to work though? Just put them on over your work clothes or get changed somewhere out of normal clothes?

  14. #14

    mattx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    9,236
    Thank Post
    1,057
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Rep Power
    740
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    How do you bikers handle leathers etc when you get to work though? Just put them on over your work clothes or get changed somewhere out of normal clothes?
    Don't wear leathers, I have a padded buffalo motorcycle jacket and just wear waterproof trousers and pair of Frank Thomas Boots. In the winter I have an all in one bike suit which keeps me cosy. Spent quite a bit on proper bike gear over the years - the winter suit cost me 100 but it was money well spent - even in minus temps all I need underneath was a shirt and trousers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [Video] This is Scary...!
    By eduabncs in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2nd September 2008, 09:55 AM
  2. [Video] Scary Baby
    By Lithium in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16th March 2008, 11:22 PM
  3. [Video] Scary Flight!
    By Sylv3r in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th March 2008, 10:09 PM
  4. Scary Car Crash
    By eduabncs in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th January 2007, 04:27 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •