+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks in General; Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel.... ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries

Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks

Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel....

Gabor Talmacsi - Gabor Talmacsi, Donington Park, UK, 2005 - Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks - Photo Gallery - LIFE

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Yikes, now I know why I listened to my wife and daughter and became a wuss behind a steering wheel....
    I bet you mutter to yourself everyday when you see one of us on our bikes.... "Christ, that could be me still....." Once a biker always a biker......You know it's true. I'm having to take it a little slower than usual on my 650 as I have two new tyres.....still trying to get the shine off them then it's back to normal.........

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post

Gabor Talmacsi - Gabor Talmacsi, Donington Park, UK, 2005 - Really Scary Motorcycle Wrecks - Photo Gallery - LIFE
    I always cringe when I see riders with t-shirts and jeans 'screaming' past me. Those pictures just go to show how invaluable proper leathers are.

Thank Post
    Since Weymouth council are destroying the road system here for the next year, the temptation to buy another bike is almost overpowering.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I must admit if I didn't have a 25 mile journey to work everyday I'd get another bike. Over the last ten years I've seen quite a few accidents and near-misses involving motorbikes that's put me off - I think half of Coventry's motorists are on drugs judging by the way they drive. At least in a car you've got some protection if some stoned idiot decides to t-bone you at a junction.

Thank Post
    Hmmm, following an accident a few years ago where I broke, my ankle, skull, nose and kneecap, had almost 8 hours of surgery and spent 6 weeks in hospital, missing out on a lucrative work contract, I decided that enough was enough (although I did still have 1 last bike ... a GPZ hardtail chop). However, there's not a day goes by that I don't get a pang of envy when a bike goes past my (queueing) car.

Thank Post
    It's 13 miles for me to get into work - in my car it takes me an hour in the mornings. On my bike it takes me 15 mins. It's a no brainer. Over the holidays I normally bring in my kids so I use the car however, as there is no school traffic it takes 30 mins.
    I'm on my bike rain or shine, what does annoy me a tad are 'summer riders' - you know who you are, you don't like getting wet or cold so only use your bike 'when it's nice' - those people are not real bikers.

Thank Post
    Yesterday evening and this morning prove to me I love my bike even more. About 8 miles of tailbacks due to a slow moving highways truck mostly avoided by nice easy overtakes and then this morning the bridge was open so I could just slide along beside all the traffic and take my turning and then have an uninterrupted ride all the way to work. Though forgetting to put my inner lining in yesterday resulting in soggy trousers was not so good! Only thing I don't go out in is extremely high winds, ice and snow.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey View Post
    Yesterday evening and this morning prove to me I love my bike even more. About 8 miles of tailbacks due to a slow moving highways truck mostly avoided by nice easy overtakes and then this morning the bridge was open so I could just slide along beside all the traffic and take my turning and then have an uninterrupted ride all the way to work. Though forgetting to put my inner lining in yesterday resulting in soggy trousers was not so good! Only thing I don't go out in is extremely high winds, ice and snow.
    Snow is great fun on a bike - just get ya knobby tires on.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    It's 13 miles for me to get into work - in my car it takes me an hour in the mornings. On my bike it takes me 15 mins.
    13 miles takes an hour? Blimey, where do you live? I have an 15 mile run here, and on a bad day it takes me 30 mins max usually 20-25 and some of that is poodling along country roads. I feel sorry for people for whom the daily commute is a chore. I used to be a field engineer, and I've been stuck in some horrendous traffic jams. These days, I have a really nice car, great sound system, climate control if I need it... I just sit back and relax if I get caught in traffic, which is a rare occurrence. I think my days on the road made me a more patient driver ultimately.

Thank Post
    Yeah, but scary things happen to cars, was at Oulton Park when YouTube - Crash GT Ginetta Oulton Park happened, very scary one.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    13 miles takes an hour? Blimey, where do you live? I have an 15 mile run here, and on a bad day it takes me 30 mins max usually 20-25 and some of that is poodling along country roads. I feel sorry for people for whom the daily commute is a chore. I used to be a field engineer, and I've been stuck in some horrendous traffic jams. These days, I have a really nice car, great sound system, climate control if I need it... I just sit back and relax if I get caught in traffic, which is a rare occurrence. I think my days on the road made me a more patient driver ultimately.
    West London - just about says it all.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    How do you bikers handle leathers etc when you get to work though? Just put them on over your work clothes or get changed somewhere out of normal clothes?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    How do you bikers handle leathers etc when you get to work though? Just put them on over your work clothes or get changed somewhere out of normal clothes?
    Don't wear leathers, I have a padded buffalo motorcycle jacket and just wear waterproof trousers and pair of Frank Thomas Boots. In the winter I have an all in one bike suit which keeps me cosy. Spent quite a bit on proper bike gear over the years - the winter suit cost me 100 but it was money well spent - even in minus temps all I need underneath was a shirt and trousers.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread