+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, I thought, by now, I'd be immune! in General; Originally Posted by TonyRidal Take one jar of smart price marmalade - remove 1 tablespoonful and replace with whisky. Stir ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyRidal View Post
    Take one jar of smart price marmalade - remove 1 tablespoonful and replace with whisky. Stir well. THAT on toast is FANTASTIC!
    It it brekfast time already?

Thank Post
    Stress can really mess up your immune system. Spend more time outdoors, and try and get some exercise.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I started my working life on 14th October 1984, and have only taken a total of 5 days off work due to sickness / illness since then. I guess I must be either committed or stupid or both.

Thank Post
    My old job, i either ended up with stomach trouble or migranes at least once a month or two. Since my new job that i've been at 5-6 months now, i've not had a single migrane, not one, no stomach troubles. I knew my boss was bad for me, now I'm (technically) my own boss (being the NM and one man band) I seem to get along with the boss better. I at least argue less, and somehow ended up doing less work, but achieving more!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Right - I'm not a happy bunny

I'm never ill - I feel a bit carp occasionally but generally I am very healthy. (> 2 days off a year)

Until I read this thread. Now I have a sore throat, a thick head and I have got the hot and cold shivers.

I can't be ill - I have governors meetings after work and then an exercise class to go to. Tomorrow is even worse. Sunday I have a big concert, playing with the Bournemouth Synphony Orchestra.

I have taken enough Vitamin C to last me a year.

I CAN'T be ill

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can comiserate, I have a cold too. Wasn't too bad until I had to do a 16 hour span of work overnight, now it is decidedly unplesent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 622 Posts
    I'm just sick in the head all the time......
    I was off one day a few weeks ago but I have a valid excuse - my tennis elbow was so bad I could not even drive or bike into work. I did say if someone picks me up I'll come in but they said not to worry.....

Thank Post
    Managed to find some time to respond which probably speaks volumes about my workload but just wanted to say thanks for the support as much because it seems, misery does indeed like company...

That said, Witch, I didn't give you that cold, nooooo...

What I have been doing is rationalising my workload and whilst I'd love to get signed off, my boss is a complete jerk and never allows me time off, somehow he always seems to know when I'm shirking too... Oh the joys of being self employed

I have however reached a point where my schools work has suffered and I'm withdrawing my services from two of them to allow me to focus properly on the remaining two. I'm hoping I've lucked out on finding a company with a similar ethos to mine as well.. The thought of leaving them high and dry come summer was definitely not attractive!

Stress wise that should help a lot although those who have an inkling* as to my roles will know I also have an eCommerce operation relating to printers (yes, you'd never have guessed would you! ) which has taken up more and more time and needs more attention.

*apologies for the awful pun

Anyway, that coupled with the child minder agreeing to take the little one for a full day instead of the morning only on one of my "Dad" days means I can cut through my to-do list and reduce the stress even further.

It is scary though how easy it is, as a couple of newbie parents you can conspire between you to run yourselves into the ground because you're marginally less dead than your partner. We'll pull back soon enough, especially now that my wife has a new job to start in September and can leave the toxic headteacher well and truly behind from her current job. Putting her in the redundancy pool while she was on maternity was not exactly "nice" or sensible given her skillset...

Anyway, turned into more of a life story but thanks again all... Snot city is soooo much fun...

Thank Post
    Hot curry with LOADS of garlic in...the ultimate bug killer. Both chili and garlic are good for the immune system, garlic also has antiseptic properties. Followed by a pint of lemsip works every time for me

Thank Post
    Agreed, I love garlic, for my tea last night I had Wild Mushroom Torteollini with Chilli and Garlic, then chilli and garlic flakes ground on top with cheese!!

Not sure about the pint of lemsip though, those things are rank!

D

Thank Post
    Well - rep for jon - curry is up there with whisky for its restorative power - to quote a friend of mine it's "good for what ails ye", as is anything with garlic and chilli (which in our house includes spag bol, and a number of other dishes you would normally not associate with large amounts of chilli)

Also tho.. rep for Dan - Lemsip is horrible stuff.

Thank Post
    true lemsip is actually pretty horrible...but the paracetamol acts a lil bit quicker than swallowing tablets, and a hot drink is always good for making one feel better/more relaxed. I suppose the alternative (as my mum used to make me) is hot honey and lemon with some pills on the side - and if you want to be even more relaxed, add a shot of whisky into the mix ...almost makes me want to be ill!!!

Thank Post
    Paracetamol......Bah! I'd prefere a dobule JD and Ice it works better!

D

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12