+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Nottinghamshire BSF - All help needed in General; Hi, I have just found out that management have chose to go for the ICT managed service despite telling me ...

Thank Post

Thumbs down Nottinghamshire BSF - All help needed

Hi,
    I have just found out that management have chose to go for the ICT managed service despite telling me and my team there was no way as we were grant maintained and thats not what they wanted I am the ICT Systems Manager and frankly I dont know where I stand. We dont know who has won the contract as it hasn't got that far yet, the school is due a 70% rebuild/refurb to be completed in 2014.

Obviously a new government and stuff may change but me and my team want to know the worst case scenario so we can make an informed decision to do a runner or stay.

If we are tuped, will we keep our pay and job titles/descriptions and for how long?

Once out of the tupe protection period what could happen to us?

How long before we are told whether we will be tuped or not?

If given another job in the school what could that be?

What has happened to other IT managers? Cause I doubt the managed service provider wants a whole bunch of IT managers!?

Do any of the other nottingham schools know more?

If you have gone through the BSF can you please break down what happens.

Frankly we are all panicking, feel we have no job security, management have lied to our faces and we just feel used and abused until one day they tell us were all screwed!

Any help and information would be really really appreciated.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    Hi Bonsy,

I remember the feeling well. The fact of the matter is that it will take months or even years until you understand what is going on. I was given the same news about 18 months ago, and i'm just starting to feel as though I understand what is going on. The work is just about to start on our school, and I'm not due to TUPE accross until March 2012.

The point that you make about the new government is the key one here. I'd be VERY surprised if the ConDem's allow any more BSF programs to get going. Our project is well underway and later schools in our area are being warned that budgets have been cut. However, i'll try and answer your questions briefly:

If we are tuped, will we keep our pay and job titles/descriptions and for how long? - Yes you will keep your pay and conditions, although there is NO MINIMUM period that your new employer has to keep these. Most employers will maintain these as it would seriously damage their reputation to make drastic changes.

Once out of the tupe protection period what could happen to us? - Anything! You will be under the employ of the Managed Service Provider. The best way is to look at it positively and see what opportunities you will have with your new employer. What are your promotion prospects within the school? What are they with a massive IT Services company?

How long before we are told whether we will be tuped or not? - The school will have to provide a list of technical staff to your local authority. We had three technical staff here and we're only TUPEing one (me) across. It very much depends on your job title / function.

If given another job in the school what could that be? - That is entirely down to your school. Make sure that you have the discussion with SMT about what roles you do over and above your official role so that they understand what they are losing if the TUPE you.

What has happened to other IT managers? Cause I doubt the managed service provider wants a whole bunch of IT managers!? - Yes they do! The IT managers in our area are very experienced and know the schools really well. Who else better to support the schools post BSF? Again, I felt exactly the same as you and had the same questions. My advice is to get as involved as possible with the project and let your potential employer know how good you are!

Do any of the other nottingham schools know more? - Haven't got a scooby doo, i don't work there ;-)

Hope that helps!

Thank Post
    Hi, are you in nottinghamshire or nottingham city?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread