+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Google Adsense in General; Ok just got this up and running on my site, but was wondering if anyone else uses it and any ...

Thank Post

Google Adsense

Ok just got this up and running on my site, but was wondering if anyone else uses it and any tips on getting people to click on the ads or if there are any other alternatives to AdSense...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Im sure this site is probably riddled with Adsense ads amongst others?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    "Getting" people to click on the ads isn't really allowed, to be honest, i don't know why anyone clicks on them, unless it's for something new and unheard of. At any rate i'd only use it as a source of info not to purchase, at least not without more googling

As far as i recall the adsense works based on your sites content as well as selections you make categorising your site when you sign up. So long as your content is relevant and useful, it has a high chance of coming up the search rankings as well as being clicked on by someone.

I wont even go into the relative linking issue, suffice to say the more links in and out the better; which is why our membership has quite a number of sleeper accounts that will awaken at a pre-fixed time to litter the site with spam. Until we root them out and kill of course.

4. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gatt (2nd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    "Getting" people to click on the ads isn't really allowed, to be honest, i don't know why anyone clicks on them, unless it's for something new and unheard of. At any rate i'd only use it as a source of info not to purchase, at least not without more googling

As far as i recall the adsense works based on your sites content as well as selections you make categorising your site when you sign up. So long as your content is relevant and useful, it has a high chance of coming up the search rankings as well as being clicked on by someone.

I wont even go into the relative linking issue, suffice to say the more links in and out the better; which is why our membership has quite a number of sleeper accounts that will awaken at a pre-fixed time to litter the site with spam. Until we root them out and kill of course.
    Thanks VikPaw, The good thing I found with AdSense sis the fact that the ads are not intrusive (full screens, redirects, popups, etc) - I want visitors to decide when to click ads, not force them into it as, IMHO, I find that more likely to turn me away from the site rather than attract me to it..

I guess some research is needed a bit, thoug it does appear that blogs are not popular for Ad Providers from the brief searches I have been doing.. I did see a few WP Plugins relating to links, so may be worth checking them out a bit more..

As for Spammers, I have already had a few of them already, though luckily they get caught first!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,466 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    Thanks VikPaw, The good thing I found with AdSense sis the fact that the ads are not intrusive (full screens, redirects, popups, etc) - I want visitors to decide when to click ads, not force them into it as, IMHO, I find that more likely to turn me away from the site rather than attract me to it..

I guess some research is needed a bit, thoug it does appear that blogs are not popular for Ad Providers from the brief searches I have been doing.. I did see a few WP Plugins relating to links, so may be worth checking them out a bit more..
    They are good in being discreet, which is a great plus.

The blogs thing is debatable, as many blogs are regular day-to-day folk, but the ramblings of a tech pro are different. You will get hits (hopefully) based on technologies and problems that people need solutions for, and so it puts a totally different spin on your target audience.

If you used a blogspot account, who knows, the google algorithm might favour you somewhat more...

Depending on how much you want to monetise your site, you could consider vertical banners which are pretty unobtrusive, and can be very pertinent to whatever it is you have on the page, targetted amazon links to books on M$, sharepoint, VM, AD etc. or PCWorld, Dell, .... You should check a thread started by eldergeek regarding banners where I put a bit more info.

I'm not sure if it would fit in, but get yourself a Google Search box, so that anyone that does end up on your page can bounce off into a google search if they need to ref something or didn't get what they wanted.

The best thing you can do is make the site easy, comfortable, and useful. If it is, and people come back, then you can monopolise on that regular hit rate.

7. Thanks to vikpaw from:

Gatt (3rd June 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have a look at eldergeek's thread and also into the gogole search box too..

Thank Post
    I found that google adsense was largely pointless when working on my site... only earning a couple of pence a day. I did find that image ads earn less, than the text based ones.

I guess this is because the text based ones include a description of exactly what is behind the link and people seem to prefer this.

Affiliate Marketing appears to be the way to go though.... I earn a couple of quid a day with ebay on my site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread