+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Rep in General; How is rep actually meant to be used on this site? I thank posts that make me laugh, brighten up ...

Thank Post

Rep

How is rep actually meant to be used on this site? I thank posts that make me laugh, brighten up my day, or help solve a problem. I'm not sure I've used the negative rep button - not as far as I can remember.

The reason I ask is that I've just been neg repped for bashing RM - by whom I obviously don't know. But this thing is really starting to grind on me. To be petty and neg rep me for having an opinion is absurd. I've actually had an extremely bad time with RM, and seeing as though it's money lost from our budget surely I deserve the right to vent my anger and frustration with them?!

I understand that RM do help a lot of schools out, and their solutions actually fit some schools ICT focus. I on the other hand, would rather rip my left foot off with a rusty bear trap than have to purchase from them again. This is my opinion, from my own experiences. Now how someone can think that is wrong and neg rep me for it is bizarre.

2. 6 Thanks to Hightower:

Batman (28th May 2010), CHR1S (28th May 2010), dhicks (28th May 2010), laserblazer (29th May 2010), mac_shinobi (29th May 2010), Mcshammer_dj (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I would also like to know this as I am a new user. Not been neg rep'd yet luckily!

Thank Post
    how do you even see that i can see i have 41 but ive no idea who/when/where etc and i only know that because i just looked at one of my posts on another topic. I diddnt even know you could give bad rep

Thank Post
    http://www.edugeek.net/usercp.php

Rep given (bad & good) is towards the bottom

6. 2 Thanks to Hightower:

mbird (28th May 2010), sted (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    got to agree with you hightower. I am happy to give thanks where thanks are due for either helping me or just brightening up my day. I have never given a negative rep as I am a firm believer that opinions are something that everyone is entitled to and if comments are made that need moderating then the Mods can deal with them.

I have also issued one thanks to you to help counter this negative rep you have received

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    how do you even see that
    http://www.edugeek.net/usercp.php

9. Thanks to powdarrmonkey from:

sted (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    i think im going senile then I blame the fact im fiddling with ubuntu lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is my interpretation:

Rep is supposed to represent your reputation within the site, Giving positive rep awards the recipient the number of rep points that you can give out which is shown as your rep power. If you negitive rep someone it will take away half this many points from them.

A thanked post is worth 5 rep points so depending on your rep level this can be more or less than what you can award with rep.

Reputation should be awarded to those who contribute to the site by answering questions and providing valuable information. Negitive rep should be awarded to those who are taking away from the site but should not be used if you simply disagree with someones valid viewpoint.

The rep squares above the avitar are representitive of the number of rep points a user has, the dark green are 100 each, light green 200 and gold are 400 each. The stars are to represent a fully completed bar of dark green + light green + gold.

You can give good or bad rep by clicking the star under the post you want to add/remove rep from an this lets you add a comment that only the person can see. This is message is annonomys but I'm sure can be looked into by the admins if it is ever badly abused.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 28th May 2010 at 02:36 PM.

12. 3 Thanks to SYNACK:

button_ripple (28th May 2010), elsiegee40 (28th May 2010), Hightower (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Apart from the "thanks" button i never actually noticed the reputation button until now....i thought it worked purely on thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I use neg rep for posts which are usually derogatory, offensive or generally bad. For example I've given neg rep for someone advising people on ways to break copyright law, or people who've posted spam, and recently for someone who posted what amounts to a call for people to ignore the laws if they disagree with them.

Thanks are given for good responses, for positive contributions etc...

I don't give neg rep just for opinions that oppose mine, opposing opinions only get neg rep when they get to the point of trolling or the like.

15. Thanks to localzuk from:

Hightower (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    I think negative rep is a bit pointless to be honest, if a member oversteps the mark or goes against site rules then that is surely where the mods and admins step in and deal with it.

Ben

17. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I think negative rep is a bit pointless to be honest, if a member oversteps the mark or goes against site rules then that is surely where the mods and admins step in and deal with it.

Ben
    And that's coming from a mod!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,469 Times in 1,913 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ben
    But why should someone who has 'overstepped' anywhere be able to maintain a previously held good reputation. Any actions by mods or admins doesn't affect their rep does it?

Without a negative aspect to rep, rep becomes an entirely pointless system.

20. Thanks to localzuk from:

Thank Post
    I disagree. Reputation is a much longer-term indicator of somebody's worth; it doesn't (always) rate how often somebody has had to be reprimanded. I think it's reputation as dictionary-defined, you don't solely judge someone on whether they have a criminal record, although that's an important consideration to mix in.

Thank Post
    Fair comments lads - good discussion.

Now which one do I like the least to give neg rep to haha =)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast