+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Rep in General; I just tried to rep you Hightower, because I feel your pain with RM and how utterly pants they are ...

Thank Post
    I just tried to rep you Hightower, because I feel your pain with RM and how utterly pants they are as a company! Apparently I keep repping you a lot because I have to "spread some about" so if you do something good, please ensure someone else does something worthy of my rep before you do so again so in turn you get your deserved rep!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I just tried to rep you Hightower, because I feel your pain with RM and how utterly pants they are as a company! Apparently I keep repping you a lot because I have to "spread some about" so if you do something good, please ensure someone else does something worthy of my rep before you do so again so in turn you get your deserved rep!
    Pick Me, Pick Me , but seriously to give rep you need to have given rep to around five or more other people before you can give it to the same person again and as the Thanks button also adds rep this counts so if you have just thanked someone you won't be able to give them rep till thanking and repping a bunch of other people first. The thanks button is not restricted like this though so there is nothing to stop thanking two posts even if they are both by the same person.

@CAM - check this post here Rep to see how rep is realitive to points/power etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 840 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The inclusion of "thanks" has always perplexed me a little bit. I thoroughly use reputation on other forums however here the "thanks" button, I think, makes me a little lazier about it. I wasn't aware that "thanks" gives a set number of rep points as opposed to the giver's reputation power.

I'm not actually a fan of the Thanks button - it's a good visual indicator that people have appreciated a post, however at least on my own threads and posts, I like to think that any follow up post should be indicative of yours - a "thanks for the input" in a post is worth more to me than a name at the bottom of it. Plus I'd like to think that anyone that has felt the need to reply to a thread or post is aware of gratitude for it.

I will likely make more use of the Rep button alone now, I think

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Thanks is ok. It is a good way of publicly saying "hey, I like that" without a plethora of repeat posts from others saying "Hey, I like that".

The use of Negative Rep is going to vary from person to person ... and if you feel you have been unfairly repped then you can take it to an admin to see if they can find out why.

To be honest I know people will use Negative Rep due to differences of opinion, but the sort of person who is likely to do that will end up getting negative rep in return themselves ... it does sort of balance out in the end.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    The reason I ask is that I've just been neg repped for bashing RM
    I wonder if bashing RM is a bit like badmouthing terrorists. Everyone knows you're right, but if they hear you do it you'll regret it...

Oh did I just equate RM with terrorism? Silly me. Well it'll be my first negative rep anyway, who cares?

6. Thanks to Batman from:

CHR1S (4th June 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As they say, one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    I got bad rep today, I must have upset somebody, I don't think it was just, but hay ho life goes on, everybody is entitled to their opinion, personally I try not to use the neg rep button for this reason, I do however use the neg rep button as it should be used "Note: This is ONLY to be used to report spam, advertising messages, and problematic (harassment, fighting, or rude) posts." whether the post I made today falls into any of those catagories im not sure. I agree with LocalUk - "Without a negative aspect to rep, rep becomes an entirely pointless system.".

"Originally Posted by danrhodes
    Yep a member of teaching staff actually fathomed the unfathomable and managed to connect two wires correctly, evolution in action that!
    --------
    Sorry if I have offended anybody with this post, I apologise for my witty, sometimes controvertial banter, no harm meant. FYI I work both in Education and Business.

Bad Rep received - Pointless teacher bashing - if it's that bad do everyone a favour and work out of education!"
    With the possibility in mind that I might get Neg rep (Bring it on I say!), I think that danrhodes was not out of line. We all get those moments when staff can be perhaps a little abrupt and demand that we stop what ever we are doing if if we are in the middle of a corridor, carrying a server or something heavy, to come and fix a problem which turns out to be something that a little process of elimination was not applied to..... Like plug a VGA lead in so that the projector will display an image.

Pardon the assumption however, I thought that Behind the Red Door was for such occurrences to allow members to vent and humour the issue without causing embarrassment or insult to anyone?

By the same token and please danrhodes, I am by no means insulting you here, I'd guess you appreciate the risk that a member of staff at your establishment could be registered on this site and see your comment.

When all said and done, if you want to get grammatically correct about it, (how ironic is that considering I've missed several comma's but I've had a large glass of wine so please neg rep me grammar police) danrhodes's post was not an opinion but sarcasm. Teachers teach, we do the technical stuff! Some staff mock and insult us, we mostly have to take it.

In short, my attitude is this after seeing these posts:

I am a long time reader, new contributor. With any community, there is always some form of squabble due to posts that can be interpreted in many ways unintentionally which can't be helped unless you spend about a day looking at it from every view point possible which is why some people avoid posting to avoid the hassle. I try and stick to the technical stuff and avoid the general chit chat for this reason although do try to say hello.

Seeing posts like this on the front page of the website IMO is not welcoming to new users, nor is the negative Rep for an opinion. Personally, its like a competition to answer as many questions as possible to get the most thanks which is why I'm edging away from Spiceworks more and more. Perhaps what would be more appropriate is a post Useful / Unuseful system?

Is this out of line?

9. Thanks to RSoP_Robbers from:

localzuk (28th May 2010)

Thank Post
    ::formerly oblivious gosh::

Sprogette in KS1 is temporarily thrilled when she gets some house points for "sitting nicely" or whatever, but I sincerely hope she'll have grown out of that by the end of KS2.

Why oh why would a supposed adult care about some cumulative rep number?!? I couldn't care less about anyone's rep on some forum, or for that matter anyone's reputation anywhere for anything e.g. whether Joe Bloggs is a "world expert" on Whatever[tm]. Either the stuff I'm reading *right now* is correct, compelling, helpful, interesting to me... or it isn't.. and if I see someone repeatedly asserting sense or nonsense I'll form an opinion of them all by myself based on that. "Thanks" does kind of work in the same way as slashdot in that it's vaguely civilised and makes it easier to spot the more worthwhile stuff in a lengthy thread, but the point collecting just seems a bit juvenile.

I think reps are perhaps a bit misplaced on a forum that apparently aspires to be grown up and professional, but yes it's not mine, so whatever to that choice and I'll now go back to ignoring those bits of the screen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    As they say, one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter
    Are you threatening me? Hehehe

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I shall smite you with a CC4 to the left bottom-cheek.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    I on the other hand, would rather rip my left foot off with a rusty bear trap than have to purchase from them again. This is my opinion, from my own experiences. Now how someone can think that is wrong and neg rep me for it is bizarre.
    I am of the same opinion ref RM - who knows, the same person might see this thread and give us both neg rep now lol, ah well. Personally I would much rather use Dell, HP or the likes with a vanilla type network ( 2003 / 2008 ).

Anyway just one persons opinion and prolly only worth $0.02 lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 997 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    To be honest I know people will use Negative Rep due to differences of opinion, but the sort of person who is likely to do that will end up getting negative rep in return themselves ... it does sort of balance out in the end.
    Better not neg rep you , might get a citation or banned altogether lol j/k. In all honesty atm I can't see how to give neg rep - not that I need it as always good and for the most part fast replies with plenty of great info between the lot of us on edugeek, had plenty of help from others on here all very much appreciated !!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123