+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Warp drives are close. in General; Test jet sets new air speed record - Yahoo! News UK...

Thank Post

Warp drives are close.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Warp drives are close.
    No they aren't.
    Einstein said that inorder to travel faster than light, you needed an engine that had unlimited power.
    Now, if you said Cold Fusion was near... that would be a different matter!

Thank Post
    Surely if we travel faster than the speed of light, the we travel back in time... and judging by the lack of people in silver jump suits it will never happen..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Of course it will happen. Light speed is 88mph and there's a few DeLoreans around.

Thank Post
    speed of light isnt an issue with warp drives they dont break it they cheat their way round it anyway.

As to scramjets its not a new technology as far as im aware the problem is purely practical they need huge amounts of input air coming in very fast to start so cant be used for takeoff so you still need ordinary jet engines up to a certian speed (i think its in the mach range so think a Concorde esque plane with more engines and more weight drag etc) and as they need air the higher you go (and at speed that would be the only safe place to be) the less air is avaliable so they dont work that well at altitude

Thank Post
    Einstein said that inorder to travel faster than light, you needed an engine that had unlimited power.
    WTF did he know? You don't need unlimited power, simply enough power to travel faster than the speed of light.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    speed of light isnt an issue with warp drives they dont break it they cheat their way round it anyway.

As to scramjets its not a new technology as far as im aware the problem is purely practical they need huge amounts of input air coming in very fast to start so cant be used for takeoff so you still need ordinary jet engines up to a certian speed (i think its in the mach range so think a Concorde esque plane with more engines and more weight drag etc) and as they need air the higher you go (and at speed that would be the only safe place to be) the less air is avaliable so they dont work that well at altitude
    Another problem is that with the amount of air and fuel burning at the speed it burns, it has a habit of melting the engine components during flight, hence only being able to fly for a few minutes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Another problem is that with the amount of air and fuel burning at the speed it burns, it has a habit of melting the engine components during flight, hence only being able to fly for a few minutes.
    it really is more suitable to missiles than manned craft

Thank Post
    Sounds really useful.....I guess if you want to get to Leeds from Manchester quickly this is the way to go!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Sounds really useful.....
    More effective death and destruction!! I think we should hurry up with gravity research personally. We still know naff all about gravity, so how are we ever going to create anti-grav or artificial gravity in a space craft?!

Thank Post
    More effective death and destruction!! I think we should hurry up with gravity research personally. We still know naff all about gravity, so how are we ever going to create anti-grav or artificial gravity in a space craft?!
    anti grav is easy butter a cats back

Thank Post
    Artificial gravity - simples

It's all based on forces created. (stepping into scientific linguistics minefield here) centripital (? or is it centrifugal i'm after here) force can be used. So all you need to do is set up a big ring shaped space station spinning about a hub. The floor (inner part of the wheel) will experience a gravity like effect. Or so having just read Ender's Game leads me to believe, anyhow, I'm a tech not a physicist, what do I know.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Artificial gravity - simples

It's all based on forces created. (stepping into scientific linguistics minefield here) centripital (? or is it centrifugal i'm after here) force can be used. So all you need to do is set up a big ring shaped space station spinning about a hub. The floor (inner part of the wheel) will experience a gravity like effect. Or so having just read Ender's Game leads me to believe, anyhow, I'm a tech not a physicist, what do I know.
    That's kinda cheating. I want proper anti grav. Like 'grav plating' in star trek etc... :P

Thank Post
    I believe that what keeps us on the ground is not gravity but an involuntary muscle action a bit like the heart. That's why, sometimes when we are asleep, the muscles stop for a second and we levitate. Some Indian mystics can control the action and levitate at will.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Physics of the Impossible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is or was a documentary on telly and one of the things they covered was warp drives, the closest they got was using anti matter in the engine to propel the space craft with a huge solar kite that used light from the sun to move it and also a star trek type shield around it to protect it from astroids and other objects as well as to make it pull and push at the same time to make the craft move faster but the amount of energy to create the shield was immense and if one small thing went wrong with that it would destroy the ship completely along with a lot of other stuff in space.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast