+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
General Chat Thread, Warp drives are close. in General; Test jet sets new air speed record - Yahoo! News UK...
  1. #1


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,357
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 857 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    641

    Warp drives are close.


  2. #2
    StewartKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,587
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 27 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Warp drives are close.
    No they aren't.
    Einstein said that inorder to travel faster than light, you needed an engine that had unlimited power.
    Now, if you said Cold Fusion was near... that would be a different matter!

  3. #3
    mossj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Leicester
    Posts
    1,466
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 189 Times in 174 Posts
    Rep Power
    52
    Surely if we travel faster than the speed of light, the we travel back in time... and judging by the lack of people in silver jump suits it will never happen..

  4. #4

    synaesthesia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Northamptonshire
    Posts
    5,866
    Thank Post
    574
    Thanked 998 Times in 770 Posts
    Blog Entries
    15
    Rep Power
    461
    Of course it will happen. Light speed is 88mph and there's a few DeLoreans around.

  5. #5


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,572
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 851 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    speed of light isnt an issue with warp drives they dont break it they cheat their way round it anyway.

    As to scramjets its not a new technology as far as im aware the problem is purely practical they need huge amounts of input air coming in very fast to start so cant be used for takeoff so you still need ordinary jet engines up to a certian speed (i think its in the mach range so think a Concorde esque plane with more engines and more weight drag etc) and as they need air the higher you go (and at speed that would be the only safe place to be) the less air is avaliable so they dont work that well at altitude

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,357
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 857 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    641
    Einstein said that inorder to travel faster than light, you needed an engine that had unlimited power.
    WTF did he know? You don't need unlimited power, simply enough power to travel faster than the speed of light.

  7. #7

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,605
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    speed of light isnt an issue with warp drives they dont break it they cheat their way round it anyway.

    As to scramjets its not a new technology as far as im aware the problem is purely practical they need huge amounts of input air coming in very fast to start so cant be used for takeoff so you still need ordinary jet engines up to a certian speed (i think its in the mach range so think a Concorde esque plane with more engines and more weight drag etc) and as they need air the higher you go (and at speed that would be the only safe place to be) the less air is avaliable so they dont work that well at altitude
    Another problem is that with the amount of air and fuel burning at the speed it burns, it has a habit of melting the engine components during flight, hence only being able to fly for a few minutes.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,572
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 851 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Another problem is that with the amount of air and fuel burning at the speed it burns, it has a habit of melting the engine components during flight, hence only being able to fly for a few minutes.
    it really is more suitable to missiles than manned craft

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    914
    Thank Post
    98
    Thanked 184 Times in 159 Posts
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Another problem is that with the amount of air and fuel burning at the speed it burns, it has a habit of melting the engine components during flight, hence only being able to fly for a few minutes.
    Sounds really useful.....I guess if you want to get to Leeds from Manchester quickly this is the way to go!

  10. #10

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,605
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Sounds really useful.....
    More effective death and destruction!! I think we should hurry up with gravity research personally. We still know naff all about gravity, so how are we ever going to create anti-grav or artificial gravity in a space craft?!

  11. #11


    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    6,572
    Thank Post
    228
    Thanked 851 Times in 730 Posts
    Rep Power
    294
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    More effective death and destruction!! I think we should hurry up with gravity research personally. We still know naff all about gravity, so how are we ever going to create anti-grav or artificial gravity in a space craft?!
    anti grav is easy butter a cats back

  12. #12
    TwoZeroAlpha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colchester, Essex
    Posts
    470
    Thank Post
    69
    Thanked 65 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    More effective death and destruction!! I think we should hurry up with gravity research personally. We still know naff all about gravity, so how are we ever going to create anti-grav or artificial gravity in a space craft?!
    Artificial gravity - simples

    It's all based on forces created. (stepping into scientific linguistics minefield here) centripital (? or is it centrifugal i'm after here) force can be used. So all you need to do is set up a big ring shaped space station spinning about a hub. The floor (inner part of the wheel) will experience a gravity like effect. Or so having just read Ender's Game leads me to believe, anyhow, I'm a tech not a physicist, what do I know.

  13. #13

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,605
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    828
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoZeroAlpha View Post
    Artificial gravity - simples

    It's all based on forces created. (stepping into scientific linguistics minefield here) centripital (? or is it centrifugal i'm after here) force can be used. So all you need to do is set up a big ring shaped space station spinning about a hub. The floor (inner part of the wheel) will experience a gravity like effect. Or so having just read Ender's Game leads me to believe, anyhow, I'm a tech not a physicist, what do I know.
    That's kinda cheating. I want proper anti grav. Like 'grav plating' in star trek etc... :P

  14. #14


    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,357
    Thank Post
    1,396
    Thanked 857 Times in 549 Posts
    Rep Power
    641
    I believe that what keeps us on the ground is not gravity but an involuntary muscle action a bit like the heart. That's why, sometimes when we are asleep, the muscles stop for a second and we levitate. Some Indian mystics can control the action and levitate at will.

  15. #15

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,703
    Thank Post
    3,235
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Physics of the Impossible - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    There is or was a documentary on telly and one of the things they covered was warp drives, the closest they got was using anti matter in the engine to propel the space craft with a huge solar kite that used light from the sun to move it and also a star trek type shield around it to protect it from astroids and other objects as well as to make it pull and push at the same time to make the craft move faster but the amount of energy to create the shield was immense and if one small thing went wrong with that it would destroy the ship completely along with a lot of other stuff in space.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 02:59 PM
  2. Amazing Volume Rendering using Shear Warp Technique
    By tech_guy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 3rd May 2010, 05:47 PM
  3. Do you want to close all tabs? Ranger?
    By noser in forum Windows
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12th March 2010, 12:18 PM
  4. Mapping local drives (not network drives)
    By Pyroman in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11th June 2008, 03:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •