+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Any members runners or sports people, I've got an injury :( in General; I am recently new to running, its been just over 3 weeks now and I think I have over done ...

Thank Post

Any members runners or sports people, I've got an injury :(

I am recently new to running, its been just over 3 weeks now and I think I have over done it a bit.

I have a sharp stabbing pain in the back of my right thigh. There seems to be no muscle pain in the area and I cant feel any muscles that are rock hard and when I massage I cant feel any pain in the area when moving or stretching I just get these random stabbing pains. Ive tried RICE and there seems to be no improvement.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thank Post
    Try using deep heat (Or some other heated cream), use a generous amount on the area before exercising.

If it continues though, get yourself an appointment with a physio through your doctor

Thank Post
    Have you tried looking at different trainers? There are several sorts for the type of running technique you use, I've found getting a decent pair of running trainers has always helped avoid injury.
    Currently though it would be worth speaking to a doctor just to make sure you aren't making anything worse, theres always the ideal of 'running it off' but sometimes it needs a bit more than that.

Good luck buddy

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Could be a slightly damaged muscle that is cramping up occasionally. How long did you RICE for? You need to do it for a long time to have any effect.
    When you say you have overdone it a bit, how much running have you done? You really need to be careful, especially if you weren't that fit to begin with.
    Def go and see a doc if it continues

Thank Post
    Just remember not to rub your eyes if you do use deep heat. I found that out the hard way...

6. Thanks to sippo from:

tommej (27th May 2010)

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sippo View Post
    Just remember not to rub your eyes if you do use deep heat. I found that out the hard way...
    Or have nookie when you got any anywhere on your body....

;-/

Thank Post
    I bought some proper fitted running shoes yesterday, I even had my gait videoed lol. I'm running 1 to 2 miles most days with a rest mid week and Saturday when I play golf instead. I applied ICE all day yesterday every couple of hours (didnt feel like it did anything) and I forgot my icepack today and I massaged the whole of my legs last night as I do every night as my calves are usually like rocks

I was worried I have injured my hamstring or something potentially serious, people have mentioned blood clots :/
    Last edited by CHR1S; 27th May 2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: to keep sidewinder happy ;)

Thank Post
    <pedant mode> bought </pedant mode>

Getting running shoes properly fitted is the best thing you could have done. I started training for a half marathon for weeks with some old totally inappropriate footwear and got all manner of pains and aches, as soon as I got the fitted ones they all dissappeared.

Cant help with the injury you have though

Thank Post
    I often run about the same distance you do, just that I do it every other day rather than every day.

I'm convinced that running is probably the biggest strain on the body when it comes to exercising so it should be done with care, you've already gone and got the right shoes and seem to have tried everything else so I'd say if the pain is constant then it's time to see a doctor.

It sounds like it might be a trapped nerve but they usually tend to wear off after a few hours/after lots of stretching in my experience.

Thank Post
    We have a footballer who still suffers, pretty much on a weekly basis with his ankles - just because he rushed back too soon. He's been told it's probably something that will never improve now and he has to live with that decision.

We have another lads who has had problems with his groin all season - nothing major, but because he attempts to play instead of giving that extra weeks rest it has turned into a recurring injury.

Thank Post
    It does do a lot of strain especially if you are pounding the pavement. I prefer a brisk walk of 3 miles as my joints can handle that and I still get my heart rate up .

Thank Post
    The pain could be caused by many things. Is it painful just when you are running, or afterwards as well? I've had a quite a few running injuries and always wished I'd sought professional advice sooner so I'd recommend finding yourself a decent sports physio.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I switched from running to cycling as I used to get murderous pains in my lower legs - something to do with the sheath that the muscles sit in apparently, according to a physio I saw.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    That's a point - are you running on pavements? Worst thing you can do - that's why you often see runners on the roads, pavements are very thick and have no 'give'

Thank Post
    If the problem continues and there are no signs of improvement then I would not bother going to doctor and go straight to a sports pyhsio. Doctors will say rest it and don't exercise for n weeks.... Which is pretty useless of them.

A Physio however will be able to tell you what you have done and how to remedy the situation whilst continuing with your exercising and then how to prevent the injury in future. I would recommend you the guy I went to see but you are about 250 miles away

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast