General Chat Thread, quick advice in General; Well on Friday I was offered a new job at a very nice school which I gladly accepted there and ...
25th May 2010, 02:19 PM #1
Well on Friday I was offered a new job at a very nice school which I gladly accepted there and then , I am just wondering, should I give my resignation letter in now, or shall I wait 'til I have written confirmation of the job offer???
Silly question i know, but I want to finish this week and take half-term off with the rest of my annual leave before starting, so ideally I want to hand in my resignation by tomorrow night but haven't got confirmation in writing yet ...help
IDG Tech News
25th May 2010, 02:22 PM #2
Wait for the official letter. Highly unlikely it would happen in a school but it has been known for people to be told they have the job and then receive a letter saying they were unsuccessful. Also, it will give you a chance to read the contract properly in case they forgot to mention something that would make you change your mind.
Thanks to 36Degrees from:
25th May 2010, 02:27 PM #3
Wait for the official letter... just in case something happens that means they decide to withdraw the verbal offer (and it might not be anything to do with you personally)
This is said assuming that you can't afford to be without an income!
Thanks to elsiegee40 from:
25th May 2010, 02:31 PM #4
Ahh cheers, I just wanted to check I was doing the right thing. I have the problem of the upper echelons of my current place sticking oars in and making things difficult, I just don't want to end up faffing around sorting stuff out when I could be relaxing and using up my annual leave.
25th May 2010, 02:32 PM #5
Wait for the letter. Even if they have offered it to you, it's unlikely they'll actually be able to "give" you the job until they had all sorts of other information - references, CRB forms etc. SOme of these can take a while (took me 3 months to get the various authorities to fill in all the forms for my last job). Without these, they can't start paying you anyway. Hang in there, despite how much you want to go. In these times of economic uncertainty, you don't want to risk something going wrong down the line and being left without a job to go back to.
25th May 2010, 02:33 PM #6
I'd probably wait just to be on the safe side unless you've been told by someone fairly high up(head/deputy/bursar etc), might be worth ringing them to speed up the process etc
My other half was offered a job a while ago having been through the whole process, days before her start date someone "more senior" than the person who offered the job to her returned from annual leave and said they wouldn't take her due to her sick record which the other person had made clear wasn't an issue.
25th May 2010, 02:35 PM #7
Wait for the letter, you would look a right numpty crawling back for your old job!
25th May 2010, 02:38 PM #8
Well it was a "unanimous decision" by the head, a deputy, and the NM, so all senior people. I start on the 10th June so they need to hurry up lol. One thing that is worrying me is the fact one of my references is my current employer, once the principal gets wind he can make things quite difficult :/
I might just email the heads PA to chase it up, for once I am unaware how to handle this situation 'cause its my first real experience of going through interviews and selections and then quitting a job 0.o ...scary!
25th May 2010, 02:39 PM #9
Yeah drop them an E-Mail, cant hurt can it, and if it keeps you out the hot water!
Its all scary stuff isn't it!
25th May 2010, 02:42 PM #10
Argh, I'm usually the one in control of situations, thats why I'm confuzzled lol.
Any advice on what to do "clean up" wise? e.g. removing personal documents etc from my current system ??
25th May 2010, 02:45 PM #11
Remove personal docs, IE History, any paper work that is your, any other personal items and don't forget to take your cup too!
25th May 2010, 02:51 PM #12
As danrhodes AND take a copy of anything that you think might ever be useful onto a memory stick.
I did this at my last school - reams of Excel forms that I'd designed for the school... every now and then one of them gets re-badged for the school I'm at now. No point in re-inventing the wheel (just take care you don't keep and data that shouldn't be going outside the school)
25th May 2010, 03:16 PM #13
cheers one and all! no doubt I'll be back to bothering you with more troubles xD
25th May 2010, 03:38 PM #14
Thanks to danrhodes from:
25th May 2010, 04:27 PM #15
Yes they can. I started my current job and didn't fill anything in until my first day. Took near on 6 weeks to get my CRB check through, I was paid as normal from the start.
Originally Posted by swpmre
By mossj in forum Educational IT Jobs
Last Post: 14th May 2009, 09:32 PM
By imiddleton25 in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.5 Package
Last Post: 22nd September 2008, 09:36 AM
By philjones2000 in forum EduGeek Joomla 1.0 Package
Last Post: 6th March 2008, 12:05 PM
By Halfmad in forum General Chat
Last Post: 23rd March 2007, 09:43 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)