+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, How hot? in General; Walked into the server room this morning & thought hmmm it's a bit warm in here. One emergency aircon service ...
    Thank Post
    Walked into the server room this morning & thought hmmm it's a bit warm in here. One emergency aircon service & repair later the servers are now being switched back on. Lucky or what

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Is there a max temp that people have to endure before they have to do something about it? I'm actually feeling quite ill now because of the heat.
    This was asked every year at the PCW store I used to work at. Tin warehouse that was more like a greenhouse come middle of summer. Add to the natural design of the store retaining heat from the sun around 40-50 display desktops and laptops all adding to the heat and it was a recepie for disaster.

To this day, to my knowledge, they refuse to retro fit air-con in the store beacuse there is no legal requirement to.

EDIT: Whenever we asked/complained to mamagement we were always told "there is a legal minimum temperature, but not a legal maximum. Tough, get on with your job".

Thank Post
    well we're running at 32oC (89.6oF) in the server room at the moment, and at about 30oC in the main ICT suite. We don't have aircon, despite my requests. How long do we give it before it keels - the book is now open!

Thank Post
    Server must be going nuts at that temp..

ours generally run 5 degrees warmer than air temp.. so there at 24-25 degrees.

If internal temp hit 38 degrees i get a warning...40 degrees they shutdown.

So at 32 degrees air temp its cutting it fine???

Thank Post
    yip - the server is going nuts! I can't quite believe that it is still running. But hey ho, it'll take the thing to fall over before they even consider doing anything. I've told them, and they have it in writing that its a disaster waiting to happen...

Thank Post
    some people never learn!!

I reckon 39 - 40 degree air temp = dead server!!

Thank Post
    20c in the server office warm so moving into the noise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adampat84 View Post
    I reckon 39 - 40 degree air temp = dead server!!
    well it's still creeping, so I'll let you know!

Thank Post
    I'd say it's a nice and cool 16 degrees in my office right now. The server closet is at 21 with the aircon running, and I'm separated from that by a pvc screen. The room also has no direct sun on it at any point throughout the day.

Thank Post
    I always tend to check the server room air-con on days like these, it's set to 19C and it's sitting there nicely at the moment. The IT suite next door to it must be 30C too. Gotta love a predecessor who always specced things properly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    I always tend to check the server room air-con on days like these, it's set to 19C and it's sitting there nicely at the moment.
    Please consider reducing your energy consumption by increasing the minimum temperature to 22 or 23 degrees. The conditioners will still hold the temperature, but they'll work much less hard and it'll still be comfortable to go in there to work for short periods.

12. 2 Thanks to powdarrmonkey:

Fuzzz (25th May 2010), steve (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    It was 32C when I came in this morning at 8.15am, opening all the windows has gotten it down to about 27C now.

No aircon at all for me sadly

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    well we're running at 32oC (89.6oF) in the server room at the moment, and at about 30oC in the main ICT suite. We don't have aircon, despite my requests. How long do we give it before it keels - the book is now open!
    Use something like PCWizard to find out the temp inside your servers. If it's too hot for the components then you have a case for aircon.

A few years ago our server room/my office/the broom cupboard was a lovely 45oC (111oF) in the summer, servers cores were running at about 60oC and all server fans were running at max. The noise was akin to working inside the engine of a Harrier Jumpjet (and it was a bit warm to work in too). Eventually server fans started wearing out=dead servers=extra expense+much inconvenience to everyone. I did a bit of research and convinced the school to buy me proper, fitted aircon (less than £3.5k) - room is now just over 21oC yet you could cook eggs outside in the corridor (fortunately the school rules don't allow this).

If you do buy aircon make sure you work out how many BTUs your servers are generating or you'll end up buying something too small & useless (like the OP must have!). Dell used to have a nice little utility for calculating server power output (Dell Rack Advisor) - don't know if they still do but you can put in all your servers, no matter what make, and calculate your cooling needs.

15. 2 Thanks to timzim:

solitaire89 (24th May 2010), speckytecky (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    were not to bad here at the moment, were sitting at 25 degrees with just an extractor fan, the council decided we didnt need an extractor fan at one point when they installed a new lift and removed it, the server room temp jumped to nearly 40 the servers and us were not happy, fan was back in the next day, id still like air con, only one IT suite has air con here.
    Last edited by alunmjones; 24th May 2010 at 02:39 PM.

Thank Post
    Great, I've got projectors over heating now, we have one class that is 3/4 windows, its like a greenhouse in there!! At ceiling height it must be stupidly hot!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast