+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Selling a car on eBay... in General; Has anyone done it? Its a citroen Xara but it's got engine issues so would need towing away. I cant ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Selling a car on eBay...

Has anyone done it?

Its a citroen Xara but it's got engine issues so would need towing away.

I cant see it being an issues as long as we explain whats up with it and that we want cash for it.

I think it would be alright for someone that knows what they are doing engine wise.

Are there any alternatives?

TheLibrarian
    Just make sure you describe the car and fault(s) as well as you can.

Add to the listing something along the lines of what your bid is what you pay - some people will make larger bids than they want to pay then try to beat you down on price later.

Offer viewings of the car if you can.

Follow the usual safety procedures against cons / thieves when you finally meet to trade the car.

3. Thanks to TheLibrarian from:

Little-Miss (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Sell it as spares/repairs, list as many good points as possible, clearly state that no warranty is given. Just state that you have no idea what is wrong with the engine too. We've bought and sold a large number of cars on ebay, aside from a higher than usual quota of numpties, it's been pretty good.

5. Thanks to 3s-gtech from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post

I cant see it being an issues as long as we explain whats up with it and that we want cash for it.
    As long as you state exactly what is wrong with the car to the best of your knowledge in the Auction then it is fine (from a legal/Ebay user rules standpoint). Just put in your accepted payments as Cash only and state that in the auction too.

As with all things though, beware of idiots and scammers (not that anyone would want to try and scam you out of a car which doesn't work but you never know). I'd make it doubly clear that you need someone to come and pick it up - I've had a few auctions which have ended and the person has even paid for the item and then said "meet me here" (which is usually X miles away) despite the fact that I clearly stated in block capitals, in a massive font that the item was for pick up from <this> location only.

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Are there any alternatives?
    Other than giving it to a friend, seeing if anyone down at the local garage wants it or getting a scrap place to come and pick it up... I don't think so.

7. Thanks to Sarconia from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did the same for my mrs old car (Peugeot 206 X Reg). Engine was completely knackered - ECU was dead, needed new battery, needed new cylinder head and cam shaft, rear wing was in ruins, bumper hanging off etc.

We put this on there, listed all faults, dents, dings, scratches, scuffs, interior scuffs, and fabric burns (as the mrs smokes and occasional ash dropped between her lap) etc, the full works. Managed to get 800 for it, which wasnt bad as we were expecting around the 500 mark.

Dont forget if you describe a dent or scuff etc, take a picture of it so they know what they are getting.

9. Thanks to nephilim from:

Thank Post
    Best thing to do is be totally honest and describe the car as fully and as comprehensive as you can, giving any history you know about it, describing body condition etc backed up with 10-15 high res images (you can always host these outside of eBay)

Generally eBay is great, there are a few annoying messers but I've never really had issues when I've sold/bought cars on there. I think this thread is could also be named 'Why not to buy a french car'

11. Thanks to SteveP from:

Thank Post
    Did it with my last Citroen. Guy who bought it drove Plymouth to Southampton with cash. That said, it was a re-listing because the ********** **** **** who won it the first time failed to understand he was entering into a contract. He wasted a lot of my time, as I had to wait for the process to grind through.

I'd not BUY a cat (nor a car) through flea bay though.

13. Thanks to Andrew_C from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    ....I think this thread is could also be named 'Why not to buy a french car'
    lol well it was kinda forced upon my OH. But you are dead right Steve!

Thank Post
    Sold mine fine. Just was honest and upfront. Highlighted all the problem as well as the positives.
    Put it on acution for a week and every day I got E-mails from people asking to buy it there and then. Got over 200 for an old corsa the garage wouldn't even contemplate part ex-ing.

Thank Post
    a friend of mine listed a knackered van on ebay 2 weeks ago, second day in someone calls wanting to view it the next morning so my mate handed over his address and that night it was stolen lol claimed on the insurance and got more than it was worth result!

Thank Post
    If you're not too arsed you could always try webuyanycar.com

I think in general as long as your car isn't doing anything like the car in Chris_in_Notts signature you should be OK.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sold mine last week for 160 - driveable MOT failure. Specified Paypal or Cash On collection and the winning bidder still asked for VISA!
    It was an African too so alarm bells were ringing... but he was genuine - trying to arrange shipment. Was a bit annoying but he worked out it wasn't possible by midday and we were able to sell to the second highest bidder, a scrappy down the road who where going to give us 30.

So... next time I'd specify uk only and only members with 10 reps. It's just too much hassle otherwise.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    If you're not too arsed you could always try webuyanycar.com

I think in general as long as your car isn't doing anything like the car in Chris_in_Notts signature you should be OK.
    lol they wouldnt value it when I tried, didnt recognise the reg

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    we buy any car valued a brand new lambourghini guillardo at 28'000....so you think they would offer a good price?!

Thank Post
    I think it all depends on the car and what you personally value it at plus what faults it has, my friend sold them a subaru impreza last week with 2 weeks MOT, burning oil, knackered rear shocks and bushes plus the fact it was a shed and they gave him 1000 hassle free straight into his bank.

Does the car drive at all Little-Miss and whats faults are you getting?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast