+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Pupil Facebook Account in General; One of our pupils has had someone create a facebook page in her name - with date of birth etc. ...

Thank Post

Pupil Facebook Account

One of our pupils has had someone create a facebook page in her name - with date of birth etc. She is very upset by this (she doesn't even have her own legit page).

I know its a pupil from the school. I have emailed abuse@facebook.com. Is there any way to find out who has created it? Obviously facebook will take it down but I would like to find out who it was.

rad
    Thank Post
    we had an anonomous one here, I was unable to do anything about it, the only way is to report to ceop and see if they can help. Unless it is threatening, it would be time consuming, what if the account was created in a library?

Thank Post
    I would suggest that you question Facebook for any further information they might be able to give on it, such as e-mail address signed up with etc as don't you have to validate an e-mail address to set things up?

Other than that, if it was done from within school (if you have Facebook allowed) I would suggest looking at logs for the pages that create pages and matching them up with user logins at the time.

Thank Post
    We had a student impersonate a teacher a while back, they even added other members of staff and were chatting to them online until they came into school after the wkend and realised that the real teacher wasnt even on facebook?!?!

D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    We had a student impersonate a teacher a while back, they even added other members of staff and were chatting to them online until they came into school after the wkend and realised that the real teacher wasnt even on facebook?!?!

D
    Which is why we had a note sent round school a bit back with regards to if you get invited by a member of staff on facebook, check with them first that they actually invited you, etc, etc..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aptproductions View Post
    Which is why we had a note sent round school a bit back with regards to if you get invited by a member of staff on facebook, check with them first that they actually invited you, etc, etc..
    Good idea. I'm fed up of hearing about kids on facebook lately! Pupil X has put this on FB about Teacher X can you let Pupil Y logon so she can print it of?

Aaaaarrgh FFS no not another one!

D

Thank Post
    We don't allow facebook in school but a few kids have iPhones etc.
    There is no email address on the profile - I have contacted facebook but they haven't replied yet.
    An email address would give it away.

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by karldenton View Post
    There is no email address on the profile - I have contacted facebook but they haven't replied yet.
    not if they set up another email address as - schoolpupil123456@hotmail.com

Thank Post
    With the pupils we have I very much doubt they are that clever !
    Any other suggestions ? I have got someone to log on who is a friend of this "pupil" and sent her a message

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    Good idea. I'm fed up of hearing about kids on facebook lately! Pupil X has put this on FB about Teacher X can you let Pupil Y logon so she can print it of?

Aaaaarrgh FFS no not another one!

D
    Aye, stopping iPhones is down to the staff in the school and whatever school policies you have on Mobile Phone usage in the school, but still the same thing with regards to staff (and even noting to pupils too).

It's one of those things that in an e-world seems a backwards step to check with someone in person (or text / phone etc) but given all the child safety and e-safety things that we need to be ahead of the game in these days, it's just better to be safe rather than sorry ..

They don't have to show them on the profile, but when you've contacted Facebook, just make sure that you question what e-mail address was registered with the account so that you can investigate an instance of bullying in the school. They might let you know it, or they might not.

With regards to CEOP, my wifes youngest recently submitted a report with regards to something, and it seemed relatively painless, but obviously you need information before they can act too much, however I guess CEOP could get more info out of Facebook with regards to it.

You'll have to let us know how you get on and if they give the info or not with all the data protection etc etc.

Thank Post
    With the pupils we have I very much doubt they are that clever !
    Any other suggestions ? I have got someone to log on who is a friend of this "pupil" and sent her a message
    My personal thing would be block facebook until the person comes forward or is outed by their peers and make this a big thing in the school with regards to anti-bullying and that it's not tolerated etc etc..

Thank Post
    It's going to be awkward - facebook will probably (rightly) claim that they can't give out information due to the DPA. And as has been said, if it's been done outside of the school, then frankly it has nothing to do with the school.

Thank Post
    Not sure how helpful FB are. One of the teachers discovered someone had created a fake account in her name with her details and then invited other teachers to be friends. Thing was, most of them accepted this invitation despite already being friends with her on FB! I know she contacted FB to see if she could find out who had done it but I don't think she ever received a reply.

Thank Post
    We have had a pupil create a group with nasty content in it about a member of staff, I emailed facebook explaining the seriousness of it and asked for information about the person who created the group so they could be dealt with in school. Got an email back saying they could not help unless I sent them an email from an email address that has a facebook account ( I used my school email to contact them, thought it would look better than from a personal account), so I logged onto facebook and done it through my account and never heard anything back from them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by itgeek2008 View Post
    We have had a pupil create a group with nasty content in it about a member of staff, I emailed facebook explaining the seriousness of it and asked for information about the person who created the group so they could be dealt with in school. Got an email back saying they could not help unless I sent them an email from an email address that has a facebook account ( I used my school email to contact them, thought it would look better than from a personal account), so I logged onto facebook and done it through my account and never heard anything back from them.
    Add your school e-mail address to your Facebook account under the settings and then resend the e-mail from your school address as you did previously and then point out that you have sent it from an address registered with Facebook?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread