+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, A geek need! in General; OK, this is really geeky, but does anyone know of a little 'utility' that leaves a small window open on ...
    theeldergeek

A geek need!

OK, this is really geeky, but does anyone know of a little 'utility' that leaves a small window open on the desktop which is 'number crunching', a la CSI stylee?

It is purely for show, doesn't have to have any useful function at all, but just needs to look as if it's doing something! Nice graphs, scrolling text and 'geeky' activity would be good.

Thank Post
    lol I'd love that aswell, makes you look busy

Thank Post
    I've looked for something like this before, never found anything though. Have thought about creating something myself but never gotten around to it.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Having a command prompt window open that is pinging an ip address on repeat usually looks ok. I don't know about anything "flashier"

"Burn In Test" Might work though, does calculations on RAM/CPU etc with nice little graphics.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmas View Post
    Having a command prompt window open that is pinging an ip address on repeat usually looks ok
    Problem with that is that once the cmd window is filled with the same text it doesn't look like it is scrolling anymore, so the effect only lasts a few seconds....
    (can you tell I've used that before? LOL)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatmas View Post
    Having a command prompt window open that is pinging an ip address on repeat usually looks ok. I don't know about anything "flashier"

"Burn In Test" Might work though, does calculations on RAM/CPU etc with nice little graphics.
    Might slow your PC down too... it is a burn in test after all!

The Gnome System Monitor looks reasonably geeky but obviously only runs in Linux

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You could set up burn in test to run at a lower percentage. Although if you're making it look like you're doing work you may not be using your system's resources anyway

Thank Post
    I wrote an HTML page that looks like a Command window and spews out random error messages at random intervals a few years ago, I could dig that up and bung it into an .HTA, I guess...

We set it as a screensaver (fullscreen) on our HoDs desktop once... My and my boss found reasons to be in his classroom when we knew it would trigger; "Oh, I just need to check this printer..." It took him a moment to notice it projecting on his whiteboard, but when he did, he thought his machine was well fuxored. Me and my boss couldn't stop giggling.

Luckily he saw the funny side!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Folding@home used to be quiet good or there was the alien search one (can't remember it's name), kicks in a screensaver and looks very CSI - they usually have the option to run in a window rather than as a screensaver. And you can actually contribute to some genuine scientific research at the same time

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Problem with that is that once the cmd window is filled with the same text it doesn't look like it is scrolling anymore, so the effect only lasts a few seconds....
    (can you tell I've used that before? LOL)
    Hmm but what if you ran it from a batch file? I think you can get a loop going if you use the call command so the batch file calls itself, eg. if the file is called fruityloop.bat then...

@echo off
    ping 127.0.0.1
    call fruityloop.bat

Thank Post
    If you're running Windows Vista/7 the built-in Resource Monitor looks pretty cool when left on full screen (in addition to being quite useful to keep track on CPU/Disk/network activity).

edit: Just to add I've never seen CSI so aplogies is this isnt what you're after!

Thank Post
    If it's just a scrolling stream of numbers you're after, how about this in a .bat?

@echo off
    :start
    echo %random%%random%%random%%random%%random%%random%
    ping -n 2 127.0.0.1 >NUL
    goto start

Change the -n value of the invisible ping to adjust the speed of the number crunching

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Hmm but what if you ran it from a batch file? I think you can get a loop going if you use the call command so the batch file calls itself, eg. if the file is called fruityloop.bat then...

@echo off
    ping 127.0.0.1
    call fruityloop.bat
    not really what I was after. Looking for something that is displaying constantly updating pie charts/graphs, scrolling text etc. It really is for nothing but show, so it won't matter too much if it uses resources, but it must run continuously, looping if needed, be very 'technical' in appearance and constantly active.
    Last edited by theeldergeek; 18th May 2010 at 01:28 PM.

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    If you're running Windows Vista/7 the built-in Resource Monitor looks pretty cool when left on full screen (in addition to being quite useful to keep track on CPU/Disk/network activity).

edit: Just to add I've never seen CSI so aplogies is this isnt what you're after!
    That's the sort of thing, but it needs a bit of "Hollywood" adding to it, a la CSI

Thank Post
    Not used it in a while but the Boinc project used to be able to do something like that - see BOINC

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast