+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, A Printer For Home: What Would You Get? in General; Removed....

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,268 Times in 866 Posts
    Blog Entries

A Printer For Home: What Would You Get?

Removed.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: A Printer For Home: What Would You Get?

As a rule, all multifuction printers suck in varying degrees when compared to seperate standalone devices. Especially the inkjet ones. They are horrendous on ink usage. However the seperate colour cartridges do slightly help with that.

As for HP printers, generally they are decent. But expensive to run.

Thank Post

I agree with Geoff - the multifunctions are pretty nasty. I'm about to buy a HP2600N colour laser for around £175 for home, as I'm sick and tired of ink cartridges drying up.

Thank Post

My recommendation would depend entirely on just what you want to use the unit for and how much your budget is important over your willingness to get a little messy.

First off.. Fax?
    If you want one expect to pay a fortune.. They tend to add around £50+ to the cost of a MFP and you've probably already got one in your PC and can use that if the need arises.

Next up.. Scanner..
    Really you need to decide if you want one that scans photos, negatives, etc.. or if you're ok with something that just "does the job". I'm guessing you're not fussed but in truth for really good photos, get a dedicated one.

Photocopying functionality?
    Some MFP's are just plain ruddy useless as photocopiers with spin up times and processing demands just not well thought out. An Epson CX6600 I played with for my other half to use in school was ok but it used to take 2 minutes for basic 1 page copy.. Compared to a Canon MP750 or MP500 it was very slow indeed.

Print quality
    I'm guessing you're not fussed about the print quality beyond it being reasonable (ie: not photo quality gorgeousness) in which case you can do fine.

Print consumables
    This is the kicker.. OEM consumables are a killer nowadays especially with various chipped protection systems in use but Epson, Canon and HP. You can get alternatives for most printers but in the case of new Epsons and pretty much any Canon printer now you're going to have some difficulties (see refilling below).

Print use
    This it the next most important bit. If you use your printer occassionally then you want to avoid pigment ink printers like the Epson MFPs as they use a resinous water fast ink type that dries fast and is water resistant (ie: it doesn't run if you get it wet). This quality makes it more prone to clog the printhead and in the CX6600 a month of null usage meant the whole thing was clogged silly. You can unclog them using special solvents but it's a pain.

If you're a regular print user (ie: every few days) then this isn't so much of a problem.

Recommendation:
    I can't say yay or nay to the HP's because I've avoided them for so long due to their printhead on a cartridge design but as to the rest.. Epsons are ok but in my experience they tend to waste a whole lot more ink than they use. The CX6600 I mentioned clogged and had a full waste ink pad in less than 4 months of medium use which was down to the waste ink purges at every power on/off routine it went through (I measured it after redirecting the waste ink tube.. 5 - 7ml of ink total waste each time!).

The ones I like are the Canon MP units.. If you can source one I'd highly recommend the MP780 (it comes with a fax too) or if you're really lucky the MP750.. They don't have the new chip cartridge systems, have very good reviews and print very well.. Nirvana in the MFP world to be honest. However they are difficult to source on anywhere other than eBay so you're more likely to find what you want in the form of an MP500, MP600, or even an MP510 (it is not the upgrade to the MP500!). These do have chipped cartridges but the MP500 is an excellent piece of kit and works very well.

Now, as to consumables, you can expect to pay a small fortune for Canon chipped cartridges or the newest Epson printer consumables as there are simply no alternatives but you can (with Canons) consider refilling.

Refilling
    Refilling is quite simply a piece of p*ss so long as you take a little time to learn how (see www.nifty-stuff.com for excellent tips and support).

Spare cartridges?
    It's also worth remembering that you can buy extra cartridges cheaply by buying a new printer (yes you did read that right).. For example the MP500 uses the same printhead and cartridges as the iP4200 so you could get a refurbished iP4200 off ebay (for around £40 or so and get a full set of cartridges, CD tray and a printhead for less cost that a full set of retail cartridges. Weird by true!

I could go on for hours but bottom line if you can do without a fax function, can't source an MP780 and use a printer occasionally you could do worse with an MP500 or MP600 and then source a spare printer with the same carts and head, then when your first set of carts runs out you get some refill ink (a whole other story) and refill them. Keeps the costs down, prints wonderfully and does things like photocopying and scanning very well.

Hope that helps

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

I've had a couple of Epson multi functions and they have been good. Not used the HPs for a long while but they have a higher consumerable cost.

I have at home a colour laser does the job for me and a seperate scanner, as these mutli-functions are ok, but when the printer dies you bin a good scanner so they seem too wastefull for me.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

i use cannon with there 5 inks as they only cost 2 pounds to fill and 4 pounds for oem and the quality is out of this world and for £50 it will duplex as well ( saving paper ) i like it never had this make befor but i am impressed.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink

Spare cartridges?
    It's also worth remembering that you can buy extra cartridges cheaply by buying a new printer (yes you did read that right).. For example the MP500 uses the same printhead and cartridges as the iP4200 so you could get a refurbished iP4200 off ebay (for around £40 or so and get a full set of cartridges, CD tray and a printhead for less cost that a full set of retail cartridges. Weird by true!
    Won't those just be the 1/4 filled trial sizes that you get with any new printer though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eejit
    Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Won't those just be the 1/4 filled trial sizes that you get with any new printer though.
    That tends to only happen with Laser consumables from my experience but with Canon printers I can confirm that you get FULL cartridges not some lame 1/3rd version.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

HP and Epson tend to give you 'lite' cartridges with new printers.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff
    HP and Epson tend to give you 'lite' cartridges with new printers.
    Geoff, just to check, with reference to Epsons are you meaning they ship the standard capacity black with their inkjets? I just wanted to check as all other colour carts tend to be normal cap' for Epson inkjets ... From my limited HP experience it does seem they give you standard or "lite" carts though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I was speaking of Epson Multifunction devices.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts

HP printers come with Lite capacitys where they make them as far as I can tell and have seen, the BusinessJets use HP 13s I think instead of 11s, its all about saving money

Thank Post

Anyone want a cheap HP Business Inkjet 1100 - I've got one at home I'm getting rid of for the laser printer...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread