+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Physically labelling ICT Suite machines in General; Seemingly simple task... but not so easy at all. My ICT Coordinator told me to print off some labels which ...

Thank Post

Physically labelling ICT Suite machines

Seemingly simple task... but not so easy at all.

My ICT Coordinator told me to print off some labels which contain the number of each machine and stick each label to the correct machine (beneath the monitor where the kids cannot see it) with sellotape. I was skeptical from the second she said to do this, but did it anyway for lack of a better idea.

Have now come back from christmas holidays and the labels are already starting to peel off. Yet the kids haven't even been here to pull them off yet!

My ICT coordinator wanted the machines labelled physically in case a computer broke, therefore they can write exactly which machine there is a problem with in the book.

How does everyone do it here?

Thank Post

Re: Physically labelling ICT Suite machines

You need to stick the labels on then use some good quality tape on top of that. If find the best sort is the stuff they use to repair books etc so go talk nicely to the librarian or similar figure. It also helps if you clean the area first as well.
    This wont stop the kids peeling them off particularly though.

Thank Post

The selotape will not stick to the paintwork of most computers... hence your problem.

You need to use something more sticky or get yourself a nice Brother P-Touch 2450DX like I have for making laebls

I always lay the computers out in a room in order too so that I simply have to count round to get the computer number.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

buy asset tags in bulk, they are really sticky

Thank Post

Definitely buy a labeller.

You may want to use bginfo.exe (google) to make the machine name big and obvious on the logon and desktop background as well - that way kids can report the right machine name.

Thank Post

We create a map of the room on an hta (it also doubles as our internet turning on/off interface).

If they can't tell us the name of the machine, we refer them to the room plan and they can find it on there

Thank Post

Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    You may want to use bginfo.exe (google) to make the machine name big and obvious on the logon and desktop background as well - that way kids can report the right machine name.
    We already use this - a very useful freebie. The problem is caused when the machine won't even switch on though.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_
    Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    We already use this - a very useful freebie. The problem is caused when the machine won't even switch on though.
    If the machines are in numerical order (e.g. RM1-01, RM1-02, RM1-03...) surely it shouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to look at the screen on either side and work out the missing number?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ric_
    If the machines are in numerical order (e.g. RM1-01, RM1-02, RM1-03...) surely it shouldn't be unreasonable to ask them to look at the screen on either side and work out the missing number?
    Hahaha... it's not gonna happen. If I do this they'll still write stuff like 'the machine beneath the big "I" on the notice board'. Not sure why, maybe people with more experience in schools then me can tell me?

Thank Post

We do a lot of stuff remotely, so we insist on a machine name before we go any further.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

If I do this they'll still write stuff like 'the machine beneath the big "I" on the notice board'. Not sure why, maybe people with more experience in schools then me can tell me?
    The same reason that if they *are* clearly labled the teacher finds it easier to describe as 'the one 2nd in from the printer on the left'.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Plans on the wall of the IT room work well in all the schools I've been in. Mark key features on the plan such as doors, white boards, printers, scanners etc and number them there, when they say its the one on the far side you say which one, point to the same plan in your office and they soon learn especially when they say why not put the plan in the IT room, when you point out that its there above the teacher computer they soon go off and never make the same mistake again.

Thank Post

Labels on the ceiling has alway been fine for me.

Thank Post

btw... the other thing that I do when moving computers around is write on them with permanent OHP pens (these are great for CD-Rs too). The ink does not come off easy and they come in a multitude of pretty colours

Thank Post

Over here we use a combination of things mentioned above. We use a proper label maker and stick the labels on the back of the PC's so that staff may identify a machine, but we also use software solutions.

I knocked up a PHP / Windows Service that gives us a room plan of the PC suites, with each machine in the room numbered, and when highlighted gives us the name of the currently logged in user, therefore we can easily find which pc someone is talking about, even when they say stuff like "I'm sitting next to Jane".

(For added bonus, clicking said machine VNC's into it which freaks out the students to no end).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast