+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Physically labelling ICT Suite machines in General; Here we use so called 'Anti Tamper' labels that we print onto...they are good for the first few months use ...
    Thank Post

Re: Physically labelling ICT Suite machines

Here we use so called 'Anti Tamper' labels that we print onto...they are good for the first few months use but they soon start to peel away at the edges and then the kids start to play with them, and soon enough we have half a label on the computer.

When we label laptops though we put a label on top of the machine and also one on the bottom so we usually have a full label between them. :?

We also put the machines in numerical order.

Thank Post

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Buying a labelling machine is not really possible - we are only a primary school so it probably wouldn't be worth it.

If the next plan of my ICT Coordinator doesn't work (we got around the sellotape part - the only thing that can go wrong now is that the kids pull them off) then i'll look into both labels on the ceiling and a room plan/diagram/layout on the noticeboard. Both these seem like very good ideas.

Thank Post

We use a labelling machine here and I have put together room layouts using visio which are stuck to the wall in each of the rooms.

@ _BAT_

Labelling machines are relatively cheap these days and something like this

http://www.misco.co.uk/productinform...ELPOINT250.htm

Would do the job fine for under £50.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts

Ahh ICT Co-ordinators in primary schools bless them.

Selotape is always going to fall apart eventually.

I have a small handheld labeller that wasn't too expensive plus you can label everything not just pc's and I mean everything one of my favourite tools.

Ben

Thank Post

We use the tape method - its cheaper in the long run for us.

And we also have diagrams of all the rooms, these double as seating plans.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Physically labelling ICT Suite machines-ict08.pdf  

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Friez

I knocked up a PHP / Windows Service that gives us a room plan of the PC suites, with each machine in the room numbered, and when highlighted gives us the name of the currently logged in user, therefore we can easily find which pc someone is talking about, even when they say stuff like "I'm sitting next to Jane".

(For added bonus, clicking said machine VNC's into it which freaks out the students to no end).
    Offtopic, sorry.

Friez, do you think there is any way you could share that script with me? My school is going to be installing a new computer lab this summer and this program would be SO useful for us.

Thank Post

How about the cable ties with a write-on area? Tied to a vent hole on the back where the kids don't see them...

Like these!

Thank Post

the kids here always seem to pull off the label , then try(unsuccessfully) to stick it back - I can't figure out whether this is just guilt or if they expect to find a winning number under it ,like a scratchcard...

how about engraved brass plates screwed into the casing(only joking lol)

Thank Post

My primary school solution was to create a Word document of text boxes containing the computer names, print off the sheets, laminate, and guillotine the boxes to make labels. I just fixed these on with two small blobs of blu-tack. In four years, we have had a few blobs of blu-tack removed and a few labels relocated, but the tack and labels are easy to replace. If I need to move a machine, the label is easy to change. I also keep the machines in physical numerical order (I use computer names such as IT-01 for the Suite and YR3-01 for classrooms). But I appreciate most of you are dealing with a much bigger environment and bigger pupils! And despite the nice clear label on the front, users still refer to "the computer next to the furthest door from the office"!

Thank Post

The cable ties with the write on area seem an excellent idea, may even suggest those in my school, pretty much tamperproof

We currently use a labeller and put the machine name on the front on the plastic as its the only place it will stick. They mostly stay there and even if some get peeled of theres normally enough left around it to work it out

We also write the machine name on top of each monitor with a CDR pen in the larger computer rooms

Also what we often find, especially in the Tech block, teachers and technicians that phone up will often quote the port number the PC is plugged into. Not ideal, but its something to let us know which machine they mean

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Andie
    My primary school solution was to create a Word document of text boxes containing the computer names, print off the sheets, laminate, and guillotine the boxes to make labels. I just fixed these on with two small blobs of blu-tack. In four years, we have had a few blobs of blu-tack removed and a few labels relocated, but the tack and labels are easy to replace. If I need to move a machine, the label is easy to change. I also keep the machines in physical numerical order (I use computer names such as IT-01 for the Suite and YR3-01 for classrooms). But I appreciate most of you are dealing with a much bigger environment and bigger pupils! And despite the nice clear label on the front, users still refer to "the computer next to the furthest door from the office"!
    Haha, you appear to have exactly the same scenario as me and have done exactly the same thing as me. I just hope it goes as well for me as it has done for you.

I also think the cable ties sound like a good idea. If it doesn't work that may be another thing to look into - probably the first potential solution!

Thank Post

On a similar theme: I stick lables on the edge of our laptops in the laptop suite with the pc number and an arrow and 'This way up this side out', in an effort that they get put away properly. However, as expected, the stickyback plastic lasts about 10 minutes. Any ideas for a perminent solution?
    The best idea so far is to get clear hard plastic, stick the label to one side and screw it onto the case. (They are long out of warranty) But that is quite a bit of effort and I don't know where to get the plastic from! Any ideas??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Laptops get engraved with the number and an arrow, the cabinets get numbered. Hopefully by secondary age they can match numbers so 1-1

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by eean
    But that is quite a bit of effort and I don't know where to get the plastic from! Any ideas??
    CDT department? The best sort is layered so when you scratch off the top (coloured) surface, the black/white core is exposed. Our physics tech had an engraver and the stock for the fer that I've done in the past. Try local signwriters otherwise.

Thank Post

Apply the KISS principle - permanent marker!

RoyG

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast