+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, PM if you want my new mobile number (suppliers especially) in General; Doesn't matter who it is, or which way you do it. When you get a new contract, be it with ...

Thank Post
    Doesn't matter who it is, or which way you do it.

When you get a new contract, be it with the same company or with a new one. You are cancelling one contract, and subscribing to a new one.
    There is a code you can request from your provider to transfer the number if moving from one company to another, which you can give to the new company.

If however you are just changing contract via a same supplier, the only reason not to transfer over your existing number is the lazyness of the sales staff.

I went from a standard contract to an iphone contract 2 years ago, carphonewarehouse just did the switch. I got a new simcard, and it took 24 hours for the new sim to pickup the old number.

I enquired at the time if i was to dump CPWH and go direct with O2, and transfer the number, and you have to whine at CPWH to give you the code, and when you setup the new contract, you give them the code, and your number gets transferred.

Thank Post
    Well - he's off to find out

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Have you seen the Dr Pepper advert

They might cut off both contracts

But you make a good point

Simon
    You remind me of a random image I did for B3TA a bit back ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PM if you want my new mobile number (suppliers especially)-drpepper1.jpg  
    Last edited by soveryapt; 18th May 2010 at 04:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Well - Mr Vodaphone said no - can't do it

on the phone to them - I came up with a a cunning plan - set up old phone to forward to new one

Mr Vodaphone says that it won't cost me (or any callers) more money as long as I stay within my free minutes on my old phone.

Anyone know if that's true (ie. done call forwarding and not been charged extra?)

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    So, you're keeping the old phone running too? It shouldn't cost you any extra to do that .. my advice, keep you're eye on it assuming you have online billing?

Thank Post
    They shouldn't be saying no to your request at all. It is common practice and I am about to do it with O2 for the second time in 6 months. Make sure you are cancelling your original contract.

Thank Post
    From Vodaphone site - Calls to call forwarding services, onward calling services and calls to numbers that pay a revenue share are not eligible for your inclusive minutes even if they use numbers that would normally be included.
    So I rang them back (from old phone) and they said .... their computer has crashed.

But I then rang back and got another person who sounded very knowledgeable and even explained in baby-talk how the forwarded call would be classed as standard call and as long as I had the free minutes - it would come out of that.

So I'm going to give it a go for the next month (as not planning to cancel old one until I can reduce it by anotehr 5 next month

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Yeah, the reason they say no is that you're keeping you're phone active .. if you were cancelling it I'm sure they'd be able to, but if you're keeping it active then they can't do the number port ..

EDIT:
    Having said that, might be worth checking out their family pack option :

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatc...ageID=PPP_0037

Technically speaking, this would work the same way, but because the minutes are unlimited it would ensure that you don't pay for the calls. You can then drop your old phone to a PAYG one with them (which they will allow you to do) if you really want to keep it active .. else cancel it all together and port your number .. lol ..
    Last edited by soveryapt; 18th May 2010 at 04:49 PM.

Thank Post
    It is common practice
    I don't think its common practice to cancel a contract with an exisiting provider 6 months early and take out a new contract with the same provider

I think most get a new contract with a new supplier or an upgrade contract with their existing one (where both parties are more than happy to let you keep your number for different reasons)

AFAIK Phones4U are exploiting some bizarre "new customers only - lets pretend you are) kick-back scheme that defies common sense

Unless of course, if I get the number transferred then phones4u don't get there kick-back and send the boys out looking for me to get their 165 back!

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Nice feature - the call forwarding forwards the number calling the old number so I can see who it is

Thank Post
    Yeah, the reason they say no is that you're keeping you're phone active
    mm - I'm not sure about that as why wouldn't Mr Phones4U tell me about it (they told me all the other things like giving me the money for 6 months at 25 but telling me that if I waited a month to cancel I could knock it down to 20 and then cancel - saving me the price of takeaway )

(Unless Phones4U lose out)

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12