+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Saturday Morning and I'm... in General; ...waiting nervously to see if anyone arrives. We have a Saturday Academy at our school where children (not just ours) ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts

Saturday Morning and I'm...

...waiting nervously to see if anyone arrives.

We have a Saturday Academy at our school where children (not just ours) can learn Art, Irish Dancing, Judo, Ballet, Music, etc...

The HT decided it was the ideal time for me to do one of my e-Safety presentations for parents. It's been advertised widely, but I haven't got a clue whether anyone will actually turn up.

Still, it's a lovely day and it's quite nice watching the foxes and pheasants in the grounds!

Half an hout to go...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good luck with your presentation and I hope that it is well attended.

Thank Post
    Same, I hope you do get a good turnout, and everything runs smoothly!

If you do get too bored though! a picture of these spectacular sounding grounds would be awesome!

Thank Post
    Home now. Turnout was reasonable 15; could have been better. I really don't mind how many I talk to. If one person says "I didn't realise..." then I've made a difference and potentially helped to stop someone having their bank account hacked, child bullied or worse.

I'd have been motified if there was nobody though! One parent said "I would have come, but I started watching the cricket and I'm really not interested in computers..." My reply was "But you're interested in you daughters". I left it at that and gave him the handout!

Thank Post
    This is something I'm thinking of doing, and my concern is how many would turn up. I'm going to start with a talk to the PTA and hope they get the word around!! Also doing a talk to staff in one of our INSET days.
    What was the feedback like?

Thank Post
    Here, I started with Staff Training. We have introduces an "AUP for Data and ICT" which all staff who have child contact have to sign and it becomes part opf their contract. The e-Safety training I did for staff (and which is now part of the induction programme for new staff) is "Safeguarding Children, Protecting You"... e-Safety from the angle of what Ofsted (and in our case ISI) require and how to prevent themselves from wrecking their careers and it was also used to introduce out AUP to them. Everyone was done from kitchen staff to the Headteacher.

I then started with Year 6 and am working my way down the school with the kids.

As for parents, so far this year I've done 2 afternoon sessions both starting an hour before pickup time and this one on a Saturday morning called "The Internet, Your Family and You". We have the school open on a Saturday morning anyway for extra-curricular ativities (we're private) so people are about.

Everyone who has attended has been extremely positive about what they've heard and has said they're really glad they came along... most say they're now terrified as welll! I had hoped for more this morning as there was a big story in the local press last week about someone who had been grooming on FaceBook - a lad who had 250 friends, all female, from local secondaries. He'd persuade them to go MSN using a webcam and perform a "lewd sexual act"... one of the girls told her mother fortunately. I think I'm just going to have to do these regularly, word is spreading through the parents and I keep getting asked when I'll be doing the next one.

We also ran the CEOP Jigsaw video on a continuous loop on Consultations Evening. It was in the school hall where refreshments were served, so we'll have got a few more that way hopefully.

7. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

joe90bass (16th May 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread