+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, I am looking forward to.... in General; Originally Posted by mattx HA HA HA just heard that Paddy Pantsdown in back in [ to be confirmed ] ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    HA HA HA just heard that Paddy Pantsdown in back in [ to be confirmed ] to replace Liam Fox as Defense Secretary. You couldn't make this up could you - it's just pure comedy gold.
    Except he is not an MP so can't be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Paddy Ashdown - an odious person. That's it, I'm declaring my house an independent state and refusing to recycle my rubbish anymore.
    Oooo, can I arrange a coo ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh cheer up Matt. You lost, the electorate have spoken, and yes, it was messy but guess what fellas, the parties over, and in the past few days the media who have for so long been scared witless of being ostriciesed by the Labour spin and media machine have been growing more and more confident and are now only just now hinting at how bad a state the countries finances are thanks to Browns fantastic ability to run an economy by borrowing more and more without the slightest idea of how to repay it (not even taking into account the bank bail out). There should be some really interesting stories hitting the media in the next few weeks or so once past hidden sums are made public. Yes, there will be tax rises, this would have happened no matter who was going to do the financial planning. Yes, there will be cuts, again this would have happened regardless, and all I can here is Labour supporters going 'The nasty Tories are going to cut this, and raise that' without them expending the energy to realise who got us in this mess to begin with (and it's nothing to do with a 'global downturn\recession either), or what action would have to be taken by whoever was going to be in power.
    Arrrghhhhhh. And I haven't even had a drink.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    Except he is not an MP.
    Without portfolio - he has just poured cold water on the statement now which is a shame. Would have been great to have him stir the pot.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Oooo, can I arrange a coo ?
    I'll ask the pigeons

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Without portfolio - he has just poured cold water on the statement now which is a shame. Would have been great to have him stir the pot.
    Sorry I was wrong above, I didn't realise that non MPs could be given cabinet seats (he was offered NI Secretary in 2007 apparently)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    HA HA HA just heard that Paddy Pantsdown in back in [ to be confirmed ] to replace Liam Fox as Defense Secretary. You couldn't make this up could you - it's just pure comedy gold.

May have to re-tract that as my sources say it's not true...... which is a shame.
    Why not? He's ex SBS, has masses of military experience, ran Kosovo for a bit (I met and worked a few days with him there and he's a top guy). Or would you prefer an ex shop steward to be running the defence of the country?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Oh cheer up Matt. You lost, the electorate have spoken, and yes, it was messy but guess what fellas, the parties over, and in the past few days the media who have for so long been scared witless of being ostriciesed by the Labour spin and media machine have been growing more and more confident and are now only just now hinting at how bad a state the countries finances are thanks to Browns fantastic ability to run an economy by borrowing more and more without the slightest idea of how to repay it (not even taking into account the bank bail out). There should be some really interesting stories hitting the media in the next few weeks or so once past hidden sums are made public. Yes, there will be tax rises, this would have happened no matter who was going to do the financial planning. Yes, there will be cuts, again this would have happened regardless, and all I can here is Labour supporters going 'The nasty Tories are going to cut this, and raise that' without them expending the energy to realise who got us in this mess to begin with (and it's nothing to do with a 'global downturn\recession either), or what action would have to be taken by whoever was going to be in power.
    Arrrghhhhhh. And I haven't even had a drink.
    Glad to know that the old style Tories are still out there fighting the cause - a fruitless one but still fighting. As for cheering up, I am ecstatic that any Lab / Lib deal did not happen. And just think all the money pumped into the Tory election campaign and they still couldn't come out with a majority.

Browns fantastic ability to run an economy by borrowing more and more without the slightest idea of how to repay it
    And DC's fantastic ability to get Lamont to enter the ERM back in 1992 and then out again costing the country 3.3 Billion. I take it you will be canceling your subscription to the Daily Mail now ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Why not? He's ex SBS, has masses of military experience, ran Kosovo for a bit (I met and worked a few days with him there and he's a top guy). Or would you prefer an ex shop steward to be running the defence of the country?
    I agree - anything better than Liam Fox. Just a shame it's not going to happen. Also a shame Vince Cable won't be in number 11.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 743 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think it's all going to end in tears and we'll have to endure another General Election in October.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I think it's all going to end in tears and we'll have to endure another General Election in October.
    Well that may not be on the cards now as part of this mickey mouse deal is a fixed term of 4 years agreement with the new Tory 'lite' party & Nick's mates. DC will have to really screw up or some serious in-fighting will have to take place in order for a no confidence vote. It may happen but we will have to see, it does not take long for the Tories to screw up something normally......

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well looks like we are going to get Clegg for Deputy PM, someone who is from a different party from the PM and actually lost seats at the election will run the country in the PM's absence. Strange times.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    My lasting memory of the Major government is the constant news stories of the cabnets constent bickering, especially about the EU. They went through 3 post major leaders in as meny years before 'settling' on Cameron. The fact is they love arguing amongst themselves so much what hope of the LibDems got of holding them together for 4 years? This will fall out inside of 18 months easy and my moneys on the EU being the ultimate catalyst. Foriegn Secratary William Hague is going to make some anti-EU blunder that's going to piss the pro-EU Lib Dem's off something cronic and the whole thing is going to fall apart.

At which point a general election will result in a hung parliament with Conservative's having the most seats, and another 4 days of Lib Dems and Torys trying to come to a deal to form a coalition.

Mean while this country is heading down the pain faster than Greece and Spain combined. Maybe Iceland can bail us out?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post

Mean while this country is heading down the pain faster than Greece and Spain combined. Maybe Iceland can bail us out?
    We could use their volcanic ash as currency, there is plenty of it to go round.....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12