+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Should homework be axed? in General; Maybe you can get 1/2 decent GCSE grades without working in the current dumbed-down environment. I wonder if there is ...

Thank Post
    Maybe you can get 1/2 decent GCSE grades without working in the current dumbed-down environment. I wonder if there is a party I can vote for advocating a return to traditional values... Oh, wait, too late.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Maybe you can get 1/2 decent GCSE grades without working in the current dumbed-down environment. I wonder if there is a party I can vote for advocating a return to traditional values... Oh, wait, too late.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    that's very interesting but i reckon that you both must be pretty clever to get those sorts of grades in those circumstances. For me, without homework I certainly wouldnt have done very well at A level, although i would probably be OK with GSCEs the way they are now

Too right I messed about at school didn't do homework or coursework etc and failed, I had to re take gcse's at night school. Everything is looking good now but it makes life soooo much more difficult if you don't get it right first time. Basically in Yr 10 and 11 you have to put in about 60-70 weeks worth of work to come away with good results that will help you for the rest of your life, unfortunately getting this message through to some of the students is impossible so they learn the hard way.

Back on thread I don't think home work is always a good idea but students should be encouraged to read more about the subjects that they're studying, maybe a recommended extra reading list would be a good idea. I don't see it as an impact on family life unless you have overbearing nutters for parents

I should add that I did my GCSE's 18 years ago way before the current excessive government meddling.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 14th May 2010 at 08:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I would be very interested to hear what qualifications those of you who never did your homework ended up with?
    A* - B, with one C where I didn't do the coursework either (Food Technology - I wanted Home Economics but it wasn't offered, and I was forced to take a technology subject).

There is simply not enough time in lessons to teach all the things that children need to know , neither is there time to go over what has been taught to see if the children have really 'got' it. (Extending the school day might help.()
    Granted, but largely because of the way that the national curriculum is designed rather than the way that things are taught. There are too many unrelated facts in the curriculum, and not enough skills being taught. Not that I'm against extending the school day. School running 9-5, with more optional subjects and extra-curricular activities available, maybe.

This is where properly chosen homework comes in - in something like maths, it can be used to do more examples of the most recent things the children have learned, possibly written in a slightly different way, to see if they really do understand.
    And properly chosen homework would most likely be very useful. Sadly I never experienced that type of homework at school.

In something like history, it enables the children to read around the subject and, in the case of an essay, really think about the issue and express themselves.
    It should, yes. Whether the worksheets normally handed out do that is a different matter.

If homework was scrapped, education would be even more superficial than it is now (and I find that many subjects are wider but MUCH shallower than when I was at school).
    Yep. Too much random information crammed into the national curriculum again. Narrow the subjects, improve the depth, and give more choice of subjects. Maybe on a vertically tiered platform rather than the horizontal one that we have, so you start with base skills and build on them in the chosen subjects rather than everyone studying at the same level in every subject.

Edit: In fact something like this - http://www.lawsloop.com/manifesto.ph...ndius&page=148 - I knew I'd seen the vertical tier structure somewhere.

At A level, homework is crucial - not least because it teaches the ability to work on your own, to deadlines, and to really think independently about the subject. At University, the student will have to work alone, and there are lots of studies that show that students are failing because they have not been taught to 'do their own thing' and get the work done. This applies to all subjects, including Maths and Engineering - my son is doing a degree in Engineering Geology and Geotechnics and he has a huge amount of coursework and independent study to get on with, mainly because every minute of every day is taken up with lab time and the theory side.
    I have less of a problem with homework at A level and university, since there it tends to be related to the subject and skillset being learned.

So no, I don't think they should scrap homework - just be a lot more careful about what and when they assign it
    Related, useful homework would be a good step.

* I have rarely helped my children with their homework, but when they were younger, they sat at the kitchen table doing it whilst I was cooking or whatever, so it actually helped us spend time together
    My parents used to read to me, and we would discuss what I was learning at school. Homework was not needed to help us spend time together, even after I discovered pubs and girls. I know that makes me unusual, but I'm mainly trying to point out that homework is not needed for children to spend time with their parents.
    Last edited by jamesb; 14th May 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think there seems to be the wrong emphasis on homework. Maybe it's because Labour have left us with a grades target education system that promotes everyone learning the exam syllabus by rote, rather than teacher teaching subjects with depth and passion.

Homework when set correctly, as part of a whole school homework strategy that ensures that a child as no more than an hour to hour and half's worth of a night and plenty of days available to a hand in, can be invaluable.

My opinion pretty much is that home work should be used to promote private study and research away from school rather than completing parrot assignements that barely build upon whatever is being taught in the classroom.
    Last edited by witch; 14th May 2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelliing

Thank Post
    I agree that homework should be scrapped - only as an optional extra for those that want to do more on something that they find interesting.
    It impacts on family life and kids should be allowed to wind down and relax after school.
    Problem is too many poor/uninteresting lessons and wasted time in school - there should be enough time in the school day to do everyting.

Thank Post
    The whole system just really needs a complete overhaul. We all should be taught based on ability, that way classes can be specifically geared to teaching at the right level, this will not only help out those who have difficulty learning but also those who learn quite quickly and want to delve deep into a subject.

There also need to be more relevant subjects taught in schools, at the moment virtually everyone at 16 enters the world not having a clue how to manage finances, not knowing anything about politics or how to generally manage themselves. There should be a general basic life skills class which includes all of this.

I could be here all day writing about this to be honest, maybe I should write one of those manifestos too!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    There also need to be more relevant subjects taught in schools, at the moment virtually everyone at 16 enters the world not having a clue how to manage finances, not knowing anything about politics or how to generally manage themselves. There should be a general basic life skills class which includes all of this.

I could be here all day writing about this to be honest, maybe I should write one of those manifestos too!
    It was ever thus: I left school in the '70s, having been to a very good girl's grammar, and I knew NOTHING about managing money or politics or anything like that.
    The situation does seem to be a bit better today, but that is probably down to parents being a lot more open with their children about finance and mortgages etc.
    I've always thought that PGCSE or whatever it is called and General Studies at 6th form should be used to teach 'life skills'

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maark View Post
    ...Problem is too many poor/uninteresting lessons and wasted time in school - there should be enough time in the school day to do everyting.
    A very good point and succinctly made.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12