+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Budgets in General; Hiya, I was just wondering (if people wouldn't mind disclosing it) how much some ICT managers get given for their ...

Thank Post

Budgets

Hiya,

I was just wondering (if people wouldn't mind disclosing it) how much some ICT managers get given for their yearly budget after paying all their annual stuff? We are a Technology College with around 800 kids and I've been given around 20K. Fair?

Thank you

Stuart

Thank Post
    Hi Stuart,

What do you mean by annual stuff?

Running costs, consumables, lifecycle replacements (?), software etc?

If you've got 20k left over for developmental stuff then I think that's not terrible...

Ant

Thank Post
    Last year - For consumables and to cover costs of repairs - 2,500
    Last year - For network development 0

This year - For consumables and to cover costs of repairs - ( I have no idea as yet!!!)
    This year - For network development 0

Am I cheesed off......you decide!

Thank Post
    MS Licence, Internet, Anti-Virus, Internet filtering, etc. The 20K (as far as I am aware!) is for replacing computers, servers, laptops, printers, keyboards, mice, and anything else 'computery' which has reached it's end of life cycle or breaks, or buying additional stuff. It doesn't need to cover most of the toners/inks as each department buy them when they need them.

We're in a slightly odd position here at the moment and I am not a manager, so am new to this. I'm not complaining that it seems low, I genuinely don't know and wondered how it compared.

Thank you

Stuart

Thank Post
    Ideally you will have a policy/strategy in place for renewing your equipment on a rolling cycle, etc - so you should be able estimate how much you need - so if you're replacing 50 PCs, you'll need x amount, say 25k just for that, plus everything else. A fixed 20k is not much use at all. I'd suggest that if you haven't got one - you sit down and have a think about it - say 4-5 year replacement of PCs, 5-7 years for servers & network kit (for example), and estimate of consumables & breakages, things you'd like to do to "improve" things and then print it out & have a chat with your line manager/head or whoever.

Thank Post
    12,000 ish, of which 10k of it goes on annual fee's and consumables.
    2000 covers all laptop, desktop, and projector replacements, new software/hardware etc.

Though I find all school have these miscellaneous 'Capital' funds, or various other budgets that money sprouts from at various times of the year to bolster it.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Last year we spent 35k on kit. Don't know what it will be this year. Don't be impressed - last year was the first major investment in new kit for four years. All I can say is thank God we now have a new HT. The last one would only spend money on 'vanity' projects - things that made him look good.

Thank Post
    In that case... blimey! I thought I had a bad deal.

It has taken me nearly 18 months though to get to a stage where the people with the purse-strings are willing to part with enough money that I can implement a 3-year lifecycle programme for all PCs and laptops and replace the LAN (which is about 7 years old and in a right state!).

So I suppose last budget year after all the running costs I had about 76k to do lifecycle and other such things with. This included replacing about 200 PCs/laptops (I've introduced a lease agreement to do this - partially because I couldn't get enough funding to buy them outright, but also because it means that a set level of funding will have to be adhered to for the next three years otherwise the bailiffs come and start carrying kit away!), replacing all the server infrastructure (with a nice shiny new VMware vSphere system + NetApp SAN), implementing a D2D2T backup system... and lots more.

ajs

Thank Post
    When I was Network Manager for a Technology College with approx 1000 students, I didn't have a specific budget at all.

The money for the MS licensing was always set aside but that was pretty much it.

As adamchapman, who replaced me, will probably tell you, it was a case of (sometimes literally) having to beg with management in order to get access to any money to do anything. :-)

Thank Post
    I m asking for 45 - 50k for everything, very likely to get it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've spent a huge amount on ICT in the last few years, but as our budget has now plummetted, my total amount available to me is 16k - from which everything has to come (so, MS licensing, Citrix licensing, projector lamps, broken equipment). We have around 260 computers now... So its going to be very tough.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    We were lucky enough to get all our Microsoft licensing through our Status bids.

As for the rest, well no development budget this year as we have been in deficit for the past 2 years but are now hopefully in the black and next year there should be money in the pot for development so I have been told.

Fixed costs and running costs still have to be met though and this will amount to roughly 50k which i hope has been settled.

Thank Post
    Consumables (ink, toner, batteries, CDs, DVDs, cleaning supplies etc) around 3,500 last year, should be the same this year

Hardware/Software, first year I got about 20k to replace almost everything and bring the nework up to scratch,
    2nd year I got about 15k to keep things going and only replace older equipment when it really needed it,
    this year so far I've got 0 and unsure if that's going to change, there is some funding floating around though
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 10th May 2010 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    1800 students

We spend about 25K on toners etc
    Then get a replace / renew / new stuff budget of about 180K per year

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    1500 students, Last year the school spent 46K on printing (including photocopying) they purchased 240 pcs at 280, plus all the included costs of benching cabling etc. This year for everything we have a buget for around 150K excluding the cost of MS licensing (25k separate). Plus the A/V bulbs buget of around 4k (pushing for LED projectors so no bulbs!) all in all we will spend on everything including benching and cableing this year around 200k.

My last place never told us our budget so we could never plan anything! They would just turn around and say Oh by the way we are replacing that classroom next month sort out the quotes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast