+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Getting sick of maths homework in General; I am getting sick and tired of these new methods of teaching kids maths. I have just been shown the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

Getting sick of maths homework

I am getting sick and tired of these new methods of teaching kids maths. I have just been shown the new 'chunking' method of division and never seen anything so daft. Showing all these daft methods just confuses the children more.
    After showing my son the proper method - [ how many 4's in 7, 1 with 3 left over etc ] he picked it up in less than 15 mins. All these new methods just confuses them [ and more importantly, me ]

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought exactly the same, and I also believe the same of Phonics but really not my place to say anything. After all, I'm just a lowly technical guy :|

Thank Post
    They should change the name from 'basic arithmetic' to 'lets over complicate it and really confuse the little darlings arithmetic'
    The way I see it, as long as you get the right answer at the end and you know your method works then that's fine.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    @Mattx - what method of division do you use and what method are they trying to teach them ?

Thank Post
    Chunking method? That sounds extreme.

I work on the same theory, how many 4's in 7, etc.

Thank Post
    20 years ago, my daughter came home with a note asking me not to teach her my way of doing long division.

I taught the Literacy Progress Unit a few years ago and that included phonics. It was lost on the rank and file kids but top set Y7 thought it was brilliant.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    @Mattx - what method of division do you use and what method are they trying to teach them ?
    I'm not teaching, just trying to help one of my kids with their homework - the method on the sheet is called 'chunking' - you have to approx the answer first which is just plain daft in my opinion.
    I have no idea what the method is called that I was taught [ which was over 20 years ago ] - but I know it works and that my son picked it up within 15 mins of me showing him. The 'chunking' method [ from what I understand of it ] is just un-necessary, time consuming and had my son all over the place in regards to working it out. See:

ks2 maths division using chunking explained

For complete and utter nonsense [ in my opinion ] - there is most probably a wad of data showing that kids find this a good way, but not for me or my son.

Example.

Chunking

Let us try 597 22.

We use repeated multiplication with numbers that we are confident with such as 10 and 5. We know that 10 x 22 = 220 so we will start by deducting 220 from 597.

-

We still have more than 220 left over so we will repeat this step.

-

We now have 157 left over. We know that 5 x 22 = 110 so we will now deduct that.

-

We now have 47 left over. We know that 2 x 22 = 44. So we do the final step.

-
    r3
    Last edited by mattx; 9th May 2010 at 11:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    I've done my time as a primary TA and have seen various methods. When taught properly, chunking is one of various strategies that children are taught to do division. The idea being that they adopt whichever method suits them best and understand that they should all come out with the same answer... a way of cross-checking your working to make sure you have the right answer.

The grid method for multiplication was another that seemed over complex when I first sw it, but some children find it much easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I've done my time as a primary TA and have seen various methods. When taught properly, chunking is one of various strategies that children are taught to do division. The idea being that they adopt whichever method suits them best and understand that they should all come out with the same answer... a way of cross-checking your working to make sure you have the right answer.

The grid method for multiplication was another that seemed over complex when I first sw it, but some children find it much easier.
    Every single new method that my son has been shown [ so far ] he just gets confused. As soon as I show him the method I was taught [ like I said 20 years ago !! ] he has no problem. Personally speaking I feel some of these new methods are just introduced for sake of it and really achieve nothing. If there is a child say struggling, then show that child [ NOT the whole class ] a different method to see if that helps them, I really see no benefit teaching the entire class different methods.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,876 Times in 1,394 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree. I was helping in a maths lesson, and the teacher admitted he found the chunking method useless but had to teach it. It's nit actually te teachers fault, they get told what to teach and how to teach it, not much they can do otherwise!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts

Thank Post
    it's basically long devision - chunking is the same processes but in an odd and silly way (imo)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    The way I see it, as long as you get the right answer at the end and you know your method works then that's fine.
    Totally agree.

What really annoys me is when they ask a simple question and you instantly come to the correct answer, yet you get marked down for not showing each pointlessly easy step. While the kid who came to the wrong answer but showed his workings scores more marks.

Surerly the point is to arrive at the correct answer? Im sure as hell id prefer the calculations for a new bridge be done by someone who can actually get the correct answer, rather than someone who can show you each step.

On a side note, apparently "you dont have to be connected to a network in order to access the internet", and "you dont need an ISP, a telephone line, or a web browser to access the net, but you do need a fast computer".

Seriously, WTF? (Yes you dont need a telephone line and web browser... but at that level...)
    Im getting more and more convinced school is a complete waste of time.

Thank Post
    I am getting sick and tired of these new methods of teaching kids maths.
    Completely does my head in.

Highlight of this year so far: Six-year old **year 2** sprogette being sent home with some maths homework that teacher asked us to do as a "family project". You can find that specific project all over the net and it's very definitely aimed at **year 6**. Lacking 3 - 4 years of the basics leading up to this level sprogette won't understand any of what we're going to have to do for her. Absolutely [bleeping] brilliant.

School does this, but doesn't seem interested in fundamentals so I'm currently doing traditional times-tables with sprogette at home (star on the chart when she's recited one faultlessly a couple of times, there's a treat in store for completing the set etc.) and very easily getting her to play TuxMaths.

Thank Post
    I've always done division of numbers by taking the nearest easily dividable number, which are generally multiples of 2, 3, 5 or 10, then calculate the change.

So 597 22
    I'd do by:
    22 X 10 = 220 X 3 = 660 ( or 22 X 30 )
    Difference is 660 - 597 = 63
    22 X 3 = 66
    22 X (30 - 3) = 594, difference is 3, multiple is 27

Goes on the principle of "Work with what you know, then work out what you don't"

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast