+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why is the BBC... in General; Originally Posted by SYNACK three hours sleep, you are going to be in dire need of coffee today. I'm on ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    three hours sleep, you are going to be in dire need of coffee today.
    I'm on half an hours sleep, currently drinking a very strong heavily cafeinated coffee...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    You're a secret Maggie admirer aren't you? Admit it. Sleeping is for wimps.
    God no !! I'll be having a party when pops her clogs. ;-)

Thank Post
    Well, looks like we're stuck with Gordo then, propped up by Lib Dems and the Welsh/Scottish nationalists. Result of this will be some crappy PR voting system and Scotland and Welsh parliaments keeping their fulll budget plus more whilst England gets its arse kicked with all the cuts that are going to take place.
    The only good news was the couple of Portillo moments when Lembit Opik and Jacqui Smith lost their seats.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Well, looks like we're stuck with Gordo then, propped up by Lib Dems and the Welsh/Scottish nationalists. Result of this will be some crappy PR voting system and Scotland and Welsh parliaments keeping their fulll budget plus more whilst England gets its arse kicked with all the cuts that are going to take place.
    The only good news was the couple of Portillo moments when Lembit Opik and Jacqui Smith lost their seats.
    The current voting system is crappy. I wasn't able to vote for the party I wanted to last night, as their was none standing in my ward. How is that fair? I was left with the usual 3, the greens and the fighting moron party. I don't want any of them in power, so ended up writing "None of the above" across my paper.

Democratic my ****!

Thank Post
    The current voting system is crappy. I wasn't able to vote for the party I wanted to last night, as their was none standing in my ward. How is that fair? I was left with the usual 3, the greens and the fighting moron party. I don't want any of them in power, so ended up writing "None of the above" across my paper.

Democratic my ****!
    Then in the next election stand as a candidate for the party you wanted to vote for.

Thank Post
    ...so ended up writing "None of the above" across my paper.
    And people wonder why we ended up with a Hung Parliament..

Spoling ballot papers, is exactly the reason why buffoons like Gordon Brown get in in the first place... ithey arent counted, therefore reducing the vote count down, allowing parties to "win" due to low numbers.. if more people put an X in a box for another "lesser" party then this would send a clearer message than not being included at all.. I dont like Labour therefore I wont vote for them, I didnt like ANY party on my ballot paper, BUT I STILL VOTED.. I stil put an X in a box.. my vote was still counted..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post

Spoling ballot papers, is exactly the reason why buffoons like Gordon Brown get in in the first place... ithey arent counted, therefore reducing the vote count down, allowing parties to "win" due to low numbers.. if more people put an X in a box for another "lesser" party then this would send a clearer message than not being included at all.. I dont like Labour therefore I wont vote for them, I didnt like ANY party on my ballot paper, BUT I STILL VOTED.. I stil put an X in a box.. my vote was still counted..
    And what if that lesser party gets in?

Rejected ballots are counted. If there are enough of them to put the result in doubt, then it does put the result in doubt. Thus spoiling a ballot paper is sending a very clear message, more so than voting for a so-called 'protest' party.

This is, of course, with the exception of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, who when they have won seats do tend to put in a good showing.

Quote Originally Posted by teejay
    Then in the next election stand as a candidate for the party you wanted to vote for.
    I'd love to, however there isn't any party I'd be happy standing for at the moment. I have considered standing as an independent but I do not have the money to spare for the deposit, nor the resources to campaign properly.

I did actually vote, but it was pretty much guaranteed to be a wasted vote no matter which way I went. My constituency is too safe for it to be otherwise.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    And what if that lesser party gets in?

Rejected ballots are counted. If there are enough of them to put the result in doubt, then it does put the result in doubt. Thus spoiling a ballot paper is sending a very clear message, more so than voting for a so-called 'protest' party.

This is, of course, with the exception of the Official Monster Raving Loony Party, who when they have won seats do tend to put in a good showing.
    Who gets to determine if there are 'enough' of them? At what percentage does the result get questioned? Does this mean nationally questioned or just locally questioned? If not nationally, then it is pointless to spoil ballots - it just won't have any effect. Whereas voting for an actual party will, as your vote may actually get them into power in that seat.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Who gets to determine if there are 'enough' of them? At what percentage does the result get questioned? Does this mean nationally questioned or just locally questioned? If not nationally, then it is pointless to spoil ballots - it just won't have any effect. Whereas voting for an actual party will, as your vote may actually get them into power in that seat.
    When the majority is in doubt the results get questioned. This matters in places where the vote is close.

So, let's say 1000 people vote for Party A, 900 vote for Party B, and 200 ballot papers are rejected after recounts. The majority is then in doubt and can be challenged As for the whole question of it there are 'enough' votes, that's a matter for the Electoral College, who most likely have bigger fish to fry at the moment, having turned people away from polling stations.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    When the majority is in doubt the results get questioned. This matters in places where the vote is close.

So, let's say 1000 people vote for Party A, 900 vote for Party B, and 200 ballot papers are rejected after recounts. The majority is then in doubt and can be challenged As for the whole question of it there are 'enough' votes, that's a matter for the Electoral College, who most likely have bigger fish to fry at the moment, having turned people away from polling stations.
    In a close vote though, the 'rejected' votes still wouldn't help though? They wouldn't help determine any form of majority for someone...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    In a close vote though, the 'rejected' votes still wouldn't help though? They wouldn't help determine any form of majority for someone...
    Nope, they wouldn't help determine a majority for anyone. Effective they're a vote against all standing candidates, meaning that the increase the error in the count, and so the number of votes that a successful candidate would require for the result to be considered a clear win.

What there cannot be is a draw - in this situation the returning officer can draw lots of flip a coin. If there is no clear winner however, this is not a draw but calls the result into question and most likely results in it being recalled.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post

There were no partys I wanted to vote for. What should I have done, flipped a coin? Ip Dip Doo?

Just putting an X anywhere is ridiculous.
    Last edited by AyatollahPies; 7th May 2010 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Always a possibility.

Thank Post
    Always a possibility.
    You sound like Spock - lol

Another option is to form your own Party...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There were no partys I wanted to vote for. What should I have done, flipped a coin? Ip Dip Doo?

Just putting an X anywhere is ridiculous.
    Chosen one that was nearest to your own views?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast