+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, I don't think Labour fancy their chances in my area in General; Just voted earlier and saw that the Labour candidate for Preston North and Wyre lives in London. There's nothing like ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think Labour fancy their chances in my area

Just voted earlier and saw that the Labour candidate for Preston North and Wyre lives in London. There's nothing like trying is there!
    Saying that, the current Conservative MP in this recently created electoral boundry lives 28 miles away. Theres nothing like a local guy to fire up the voters!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Labour round here just aren't bothering. The only people actually bothering to advertise/canvas are Tory and Ukip (and UKIP are asking people to vote for our Tory candidate). Not a single Labour banner or leaflet to be seen.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Rumour has it that Labour are skint, very, very skint, and can't afford the levels of media campagnes the Tories and Lib Dems can.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It's not rumour - the Labour party doesn't have an income anywhere near that of the Conservative party (fewer millionaires make donations to Labour)

Living outside the constituency is not uncommon - David Cameron has his main home in London, not in his Oxford/Abingdon constituency.

His attitude to second homes is one of the reasons I despise the man. He was asked about the possibility of having some kind of hotel accommodation in London for MPs rather than second homes. His comment was that he likes to take his whole family with him when he goes to the constituency. Well, that's wonderful and I'm sure they're very happy like that but I don't see why I should pay for him to have a second home when his constituency is commuting distance from London. There are many, many people who have to spend some nights working away from home and would love to take their families with them. The fact that he doesn't see his attitude as wildly unreasonable speaks volumes about his attitude to "hard working families"!

Thank Post
    Where I am I don't think anyone but Labour fancy their chances. Mickey Mouse could stand for them and get voted in.....
    On the subject of second homes, I'm all for a halls of residence type place for them to stay when in London, if they don't like it they can pay for their own second home or get an early train!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Rumour has it that Labour are skint, very, very skint, and can't afford the levels of media campagnes the Tories and Lib Dems can. Still, who would have
    I think this is true for many political parties (apart from the Tories). There will be a financial meltdown if we end up with a hung parliament that lasts a short time & is followed by a snap election. Nobody apart from the Tories will be able to afford another election campaign.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by srochford View Post
    It's not rumour - the Labour party doesn't have an income anywhere near that of the Conservative party (fewer millionaires make donations to Labour)

Living outside the constituency is not uncommon - David Cameron has his main home in London, not in his Oxford/Abingdon constituency.

His attitude to second homes is one of the reasons I despise the man. He was asked about the possibility of having some kind of hotel accommodation in London for MPs rather than second homes. His comment was that he likes to take his whole family with him when he goes to the constituency. Well, that's wonderful and I'm sure they're very happy like that but I don't see why I should pay for him to have a second home when his constituency is commuting distance from London. There are many, many people who have to spend some nights working away from home and would love to take their families with them. The fact that he doesn't see his attitude as wildly unreasonable speaks volumes about his attitude to "hard working families"!
    the whole additional cost allowance thing was scandalous in my view.

Cameron himself wanted to emphasise that he claimed *only* for the interest payments on his second home mortgage was laughable....seeing as mortgage interest constitutes such a high proportion of the total monthly repayment in the early years of a loan.....public funds were in effect being used to pay mortgages for MP's even if it was the interest portion. Which is bad enough for less affluent and privilidged MP's, but displays either a shocking level of arrogance or maybe naivety when it's being claimed by someone like Cameron....with an expensive family home in London.

Thank Post
    When my wife and i went to vote, there was no candidates outside when we went in
    On the way out however, there was 1 labour candidate standing outside and a guy walking towards us.
    the labour candidate started to approach this guy and, without missing a step said "I dont agree with what you are doing" and walked straight past her into the polling station..

interesting that noone from the Conservatives, UKIP or Lib Dems were about - usually we have to elbow our way past them all....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Just voted earlier and saw that the Labour candidate for Preston North and Wyre lives in London. There's nothing like trying is there!
    Saying that, the current Conservative MP in this recently created electoral boundry lives 28 miles away. Theres nothing like a local guy to fire up the voters!
    Do you share a Labour candidate with us? Even the National Front managed a local candidate for our constituency... the Labour candidate has an address in Westminster (very left wing if you can afford a property there...NOT!)

We held an 'election' in school today - the Tories took 80% of the vote ; a landslide victory... this probably reflects of their parents - we are a private school! TBH I suspect that's what will happen in the real world here too; our lonstanding conservative MP behaved himslf with his expenses and is unlikely to go this time.

It would be nice to be able to live in a marginal where my vote could make a difference.

Thank Post
    labour?.......never heard of them round here. The biggest challenge to the Conservatives here was a 0.6% gain back in 1997!

UKIP, LibDems, and Conservatives all do their bit to campaign but although labour field a candidate there's not even a bit of red ribbon floating around

Thank Post
    I didn't get canvased at all.

I was a bit supprised consider our now former Labour MP only had a lead of about 1,500 votes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,170 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Kent is Blue... only conservative MPs... I'm stunned that the majority in Dartford is over 10k and that Gwyn Prosser lost his seat by over 5k votes in Dover. I never thought those seats would have conservative MPs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread