+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Qutoes & Ordering in General; Hello What method do we all follow in terms or getting quotes and ordering? For example say i wanted to ...
    Thank Post

Qutoes & Ordering

Hello

What method do we all follow in terms or getting quotes and ordering?

For example say i wanted to order 12 laptops. What would you do? Right from asking for quotes to actually placing the order.

Would you set deadlines?
    Would you tell the other companies what the cheapest price is?
    Would you say just laptops or narrow it down to a particular product so all quotes are like for like?

Any advice welcomed.
    MS

Thank Post
    I generally have a spec in mind or a price i want to pay per unit. At this point I tell the suppliers what i'm wanting, and tell them the brands I don't want and see what they come back with. I don't firm set deadlines, but say i'd like them in x amount of days.

And always get 3 quotes, if possible 5 for auditing!!!!

Thank Post
    As previously mentioned, I normally have a spec in mind, a bit of research on the net tells me what I can expect for the money in the budget and I will look for someone to beat that price.

It helps to have a regular supplier of equipment as I find they give you better deals. If you explain to them what you want and what you need then they can give you a good price. once I have decided on what i want and how many I then find at least 2 other quotes for similar equipment for audit, to show that we aren't fiddling the system and paying off the receptionists cousin who builds laptops for a living!!

i don't set deadlines but do tell them I need them soon.

I would only ever tell a company about another price if i thought it would make a difference i.e. they're going to price match it and throw in some extra support. But if one company is offering a lower price, go with them.

hope that helps

James

Thank Post
    I always look to get a number of quotes but know in my head my preferred supplier (as in one I've used for a while and know the level of service that I'm going to get with them) and compare the prices. I will generally let my preferred know costings and see if they are able to match it, and on hardward they're normally quite good, it's software from them vs software via the LEA Provider that normally lets them down.

I guess the best advice is to get your 3 (or more) quotes for the kit you want, and make sure they are like for like quotes (no point in getting quotes for different things as then you're not really able to make a good comparison). Once you've done this, take into account the level of service you get from the supplier, i.e. there might be one who is really cheap but their service could be shocking, so it's often worth paying that little more to have peace of mind with the kit.

Thank Post
    We usually ask for £500.000 in used notes...well if its good enough for royalty...

6. Thanks to SpuffMonkey from:

danrhodes (24th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    We usually ask for £500.000 in used notes...well if its good enough for royalty...
    Topical .. I like it .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Here it goes something like this:

X person wants Y devices
    I put together required specifications for Y devices and go to my regular contacts at 6-8 different companies requesting quotes, usually within a week
    I put together a quick "best cost" note detailling why Z business is best to buy from even if they arn't the cheapest price on the list
    Note and filled out ordering form are sent to the Head for singing off
    Note and ordering form comes back arguing cost/suitability/who-slash-what the Y devices are for
    I take note + ordering form back to Head and explain what and who they are for and re-iterate why Z business is best to buy from
    Note + ordering form signed off by Head and sent to Finance
    I get called to Finance by BURSAR who argues that there are cheaper prices available to Z business's price
    I argue my point (again) about why Z business are best to buy from, usually in vain as order gets denied
    I re-fill an order form for the cheapest option available, knowing that it is going to be lousy equipment and/or support
    I take the form to the Head, explain why it has changed, get it signed off again
    I take form to BURSAR who then places the order sometime in the next 3 weeks
    Kit gets delivered
    Kit gets set up by me
    Kit gets used once by staff member, who thinks it is lousy/doesn't do what they though it would/takes training so CBA to learn to use it
    Kit gathers dust while they then come to me as they want to buy something else
    Process starts again.

And that, no joke, is what happens for almost EVERYthing that is bought in this place *sigh*
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 24th May 2010 at 04:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    Here it goes something like this:

X person wants Y devices
    I put together required specifications for Y devices and go to my regular contacts at 6-8 different companies requesting quotes, usually within a week
    I put together a quick "best cost" note detailling why Z business is best to buy from even if they arn't the cheapest price on the list
    Note and filled out ordering form are sent to the Head for singing off
    Note and ordering form comes back arguing cost/suitability/who-slash-what the Y devices are for
    I take note + ordering form back to Head and explain what and who they are for and re-iterate why Z business is best to buy from
    Note + ordering form signed off by Head and sent to Finance
    I get called to Finance by BURSAR who argues that there are cheaper prices available to Z business's price
    I argue my point (again) about why Z business are best to buy from, usually in vain as order gets denied
    I re-fill an order form for the cheapest option available, knowing that it is going to be lousy equipment and/or support
    I take the form to the Head, explain why it has changed, get it signed off again
    I take form to BURSAR who then places the order sometime in the next 3 weeks
    Kit gets delivered
    Kit gets set up by me
    Kit gets used once by staff member, who thinks it is lousy/doesn't do what they though it would/takes training so CBA to learn to use it
    Kit gathers dust while they then come to me as they want to buy something else
    Process starts again.

And that, no joke, is what happens for almost EVERYthing that is bought in this place *sigh*
    I feel for you! Normally, the only set backs I get are when staff haven't told me a deadline for when the money needs spending and although I get on with the job of getting quotes etc etc pretty much straight away, you can always guarantee they'll come to me the following day saying "too late now, the money has been allocated somewhere else" when they probably knew about the money for at least a couple of weeks.

Thank Post
    1. someone asks for kit
    2. have an idea of prices and suitable kit in my head
    3. gather quotes from several companies
    4. phone our contact at our main supplier(misco, our sale guy there is excellent)
    5. give it the once over with the boss(IT manager)
    6. put invoice through on FMS
    7. 2 days later we have our stuff
    Last edited by Flakes; 24th May 2010 at 04:30 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread