+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Home Brew Who does it? in General; I currently have 6 gallons of cider (6-7%) 5 gallons of dark ale (7%) and another 5 gallons of pale ...
    Thank Post

Home Brew Who does it?

I currently have 6 gallons of cider (6-7%) 5 gallons of dark ale (7%) and another 5 gallons of pale larger (8%).

The cider is made form smart price apple juice (56p litre) with a bit of yeast nutrient and pectolose added (to help reduce pectin haze) . It should taste a lot better that shop brought stuff which is normally pumped full of additives.

Its BBQ season, and parties are interesting when home-brew is put in the mix.

I have also started using ASDA 2 litre fizzy water containers for bottling (10p each) as they are able to take the pressure and don't need to be sterilised.

Also 5 litre water bottles with a 30mm hole drilled in the top (for the air lock) make excellent demijohns.

Thank Post
    haha! I tried making lager a couple of times wasnt as good as the bought stuff but was still ok. The first lot was really tangy though thanks to the massive amount of sediment in the bottles!

I like the idea of using apple juice! Too bad I don't like cider though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I currently have 6 gallons of cider (6-7%) 5 gallons of dark ale (7%) and another 5 gallons of pale larger (8%).

The cider is made form smart price apple juice (56p litre) with a bit of yeast nutrient and pectolose added (to help reduce pectin haze) . It should taste a lot better that shop brought stuff which is normally pumped full of additives.

Its BBQ season, and parties are interesting when home-brew is put in the mix.

I have also started using ASDA 2 litre fizzy water containers for bottling (10p each) as they are able to take the pressure and don't need to be sterilised.

Also 5 litre water bottles with a 30mm hole drilled in the top (for the air lock) make excellent demijohns.
    How's your liver holding up? They will dig you up in hundered of years and you will have been preserved by pickling! ;-)

D

4. Thanks to danrhodes from:

ICT_GUY (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    What you need for 1 gallon of cider. (just for cheapness)
    Demijohn (can be had for £2 -£5) or brewing bucket.
    Airlock (£1.25)
    Yeast nutrient (£1 enough for 10 gallons)
    Brewing sugar (50g to 250g for added strength) <50p
    Bottles for bottling (13p from asda)
    Yeast (depends on type but 25p - £1)
    Cleaning powder (for disinfecting everything) £1
    Syphon £1.50
    4.5 litres of apple juice. £2.25

Method, clean everything following disinfecting instructions on cleaning powder. Pour apple juice in demijohn, add yeast and nutrient and sugar (make sure it dissolves). Put airlock on, wait a 10 days (for fermentation to finish, no more bubbles and for some clearing). Syphon off the cider into your clean pressure bottles adding 1 teaspoon of sugar to pressure it. Put lid on and wait for the cider to clear.

Then drink and enjoy!

Thank Post
    Once you have bought the equipment the price gets real cheap real quick.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    haha! I tried making lager a couple of times wasnt as good as the bought stuff but was still ok. The first lot was really tangy though thanks to the massive amount of sediment in the bottles!

I like the idea of using apple juice! Too bad I don't like cider though
    I reckon either you did not disinfect it properly, didn't use brewing sugar or did not let the yeast settle (using finings) before bottling. Doing any of these will adversely affect the quality of the beer.

Thank Post
    Beers need to be kept at room temperature to fizz then need to be stored in a fairly cool room that wont be damaged by exploding beer (you should check the bottles regularly). They should clear in 1 - 2 weeks. they will improve in flavour if left for another week or two. They will remain drinkable for up to 6 months.

Thank Post
    I have made mead a few times following these instructions with success . My Apple Mead Or Homemade Apple Honey Wine Recipe

Thank Post
    Mmm it was a syrup can from Wilkos so I will blame the funny taste on that! hehe It wasn't that bad definitely drinkable and the smell is really nice around the brewing barrel.

I did see a shop in Salisbury that did raw hops and malt in a bag which was measured so you added sugar yeast and water. I did try that one but I left it too long so it went like vinegar. I think what I am saying here is that I don't make good homebrew o well!!

Thank Post
    I've always wanted to give this a go, chances are I'd completely deviate from the recipies and chuck lots of random ingredients in there.... mmm, lime juice. I'll have to gather up some ingredients and try it out

Thank Post
    Current dark ale is a wilkos kit plus a load of demera sugar and that raw dark sludge stuff that is meant to be healthy. It will be very strong and it tastes great.

It also has a pot of honey in there for good measure.

Thank Post
    I'm going to have to have a go at this. :-)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just put a batch of strawberry wine on a few days ago which I've got high hopes for. I did make some chocolate wine before, which came out quite well (despite fermentation restarting after bottling and resulting in my kitchen ceiling being spattered with the result of a couple of bottles exploding).

Usually comes out quite well and makes brilliant gifts. I need to invest in some labelling equipment though.

Thank Post
    I made an ale a few years ago as a venture scout, a whole 5 gallon barrel of it. My dad used to do it annually for an xmas dinner we went to each year.
    The ale was drinkable, though not great by any measures, but damn was it strong stuff.
    Smuggled a bottle or two of it into 6th form too, went down a treat sat out on the field watching everyone else play sports!

Thank Post
    Home brew is what you make it. It is not the same as shop bought, but that is why it is the stuff of legend. My brews are usually very drinkable and VERY strong.

17. Thanks to ICT_GUY from:

jamesb (7th May 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast