+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, And for all the idiots out there, a guide on how to...... in General; Originally Posted by broc You could however argue that failing to exercise your right to vote means you no longer ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    You could however argue that failing to exercise your right to vote means you no longer have legitimate grounds to complain about the voting habits of others....... & the consequent political & economic direction the country heads in.....

I suppose if you are too apathetic to have any interest in politics & why it is important to cast your vote you may not care anyway.....
    there are noticably few differences between the parties, as far as the political and economic direction. The credibility of some of the smaller parties can be questioned as can the lack
    of detail from all parties....that's even before we scrutinize what detail there is. And so you can't assume that the voting habits of others will lead to a change of direction.

i think it's more important to appreciate this, than to put all store in the act of voting once every five years.

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Oh, and the guy who thought it would be a great plan to drive around with a loudhailer at 8am on Sunday? Yeah - nil points.
    Likewise the clever clogs who put a handwritten envelope on the communial stairway with a letter, in blue script, addressed 'Dear Friend'. I'm not your friend and lucky for you I didn't read enough to see which party you are from.

Of course the bloke with the loudhailer could have been from an opposing party.

Thank Post
    As well as the party workers, there could well be somebody doing an exit poll.

There should have been an organised campaign to get everybody to lie to them, just for a laugh

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    there are noticably few differences between the parties, as far as the political and economic direction. The credibility of some of the smaller parties can be questioned as can the lack
    of detail from all parties....that's even before we scrutinize what detail there is. And so you can't assume that the voting habits of others will lead to a change of direction.

i think it's more important to appreciate this, than to put all store in the act of voting once every five years.
    While I can see where you are coming from and have sympathy with your view, what is the solution? Are you saying nobody should vote.... and everyone should complain about every political party & every politician & about every decision made that doesn't fit in with their views or benefit them individually? Or let apathy rule....?

Thank Post
    Let's get this straight - apathy is not voting because you can't be arsed.

Not voting or spoiling your paper because you have made a considered decision that none of the offered candidates is acceptable to you is far from apathy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    While I can see where you are coming from and have sympathy with your view, what is the solution? Are you saying nobody should vote.... and everyone should complain about every political party & every politician & about every decision made that doesn't fit in with their views or benefit them individually? Or let apathy rule....?
    not at all. i think it's a question of whatever your personal conscience is telling you.

i've looked over what i think will happen in the even of which party hold power.....and i can honestly see very little difference in practice. ofcourse no party will offer up policies that you can entirely agree on.....
    but if i could honestly see an optimistic outcome from any of the possible results then i would vote positively. I personally cannot. But that's just me...as i said it's a matter of personal conscience.

it's most likely that i don't vote tactically [ie keep the incumbents out], if i do vote it will probably be for one of the much smaller party/candidate....which has no chance of winning the seat.
    But even there, it wouldn't be because i was particularly convinced about their competence. But i can certainly see the value in voting for an MP based on how they personally could represent the constituents....what i'm talking about is overall affecting the economic direction of the country.

i'd be allowed to criticize because no option was offered up at election that could realistically change direction in my view.

Thank Post
    Politics is one of those things that we should all be taught a bit about in school but generally aren't. Not knowing how to vote is a bit like not knowing how to fill out a cheque, when I left school I'd no clue how to do either of these things despite the fact that they are both quite easy and as adults they are things that we will encounter and might have to do.

I've always taken the theory of: If I don't know something, I'll ask someone who does or if nobody is around then I'll ask google/wikipedia/loads of other websites. A lot of people just don't seem to have that drive though, they sit saying something along the lines of "meh" and just exist.

It's the same with finances and money management, nobody was ever taught anything about it in school, parents often don't have a clue about it and we wonder why people end up squandering money and then end up in loads of debt!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarconia View Post
    we wonder why people end up squandering money and then end up in loads of debt!
    doesn't that just show that some people have actually been paying attention.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    As well as the party workers, there could well be somebody doing an exit poll.

There should have been an organised campaign to get everybody to lie to them, just for a laugh
    Ok - we missed the morning rush, but there's still time - I suggest we all claim we voted Monster Raving Loony, regardless of whether a candidate stood or not!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    Ok - we missed the morning rush, but there's still time - I suggest we all claim we voted Monster Raving Loony, regardless of whether a candidate stood or not!
    The Monster Raving Loony William Hill Party if you please. Bookies back Monster Raving Loony Party - Telegraph

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    The Monster Raving Loony William Hill Party if you please.
    You are right - I apologise profusley.... It's just too long to remember though!

Thank Post
    Personally Tarquin Fin-tim-lin-bin-whin-bim-lim-bus-stop-F'tang-F'tang-Olé-Biscuitbarrel of The Silly Party would get my vote. But I'm not in Luton, or Cambridge.

13. Thanks to creese from:

mattx (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    I recon EduGeek should run for Election, the country would be a better place with us running it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danrhodes View Post
    I recon EduGeek should run for Election, the country would be a better place with us running it!
    Seriously? We have bigger rifts of opinion here than members of the Tory party! Then again, if the voters think they a fit to govern we may just be in with a chance

You know why the Tories don't like Alternative Voting? They are too busy arguing with themselves to have the time to argue with other political parties as well.

Thank Post
    Just had a reply from a friend in South Africa who says 'Change is always good when people vote'

I think I know what he means.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast