+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, And for all the idiots out there, a guide on how to...... in General; Originally Posted by witch AFAIC that is what lessons like PCSFE or whatever your school calls it these days - ...

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    AFAIC that is what lessons like PCSFE or whatever your school calls it these days - or general studies for the A level lot. The children need to be taught the basics of life - tax, pay, savings, the electoral system etc etc.
    But they are not as far as I can see
    Too busy practicing for SATs etc.

I don't recall ever being taught about the electoral system, I left school in '72. It was only when I saw the massive queues in South Africa's first 'real' election that I decided I should vote. I was asked last night by an African friend over there if I would vote, no way could I tell him no.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,374 Times in 1,671 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Well, I always vote by post, but this year I have deliberately spoilt my ballot paper by writing in big black felt-tip, "NONE. I AM NOT VOTING AS NONE OF THE CURRENT POLITICAL PARTIES DESERVE OUR VOTE, RE: THE IRAQ / AFGHANISTAN WARS AND THE MP'S EXPENSES SCANDAL"...
    WHY? No one who gives a rat's bottom what you think will read it and your opinion will not get passed on to anyone who matters. Your vote will be thrown away and that'll be that.

The advice I was given was that if you are disenchanted with the main parties, then vote for one of the minor ones because the main lot do take notice of the number of people who do this - I know that the Monster Raving Loony party have no chance of getting in, but politicians know that we know that, and so they take note of the numbers of people who chose to use their vote in this way to express their displeasure.
    Short of a 'no confidence' box, it seems like the best way to me

3. Thanks to witch from:

OutToLunch (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    WHY? Short of a 'no confidence' box, it seems like the best way to me
    I believe in the past a 'non of the above' box has been suggested.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Too busy practicing for SATs etc.
    IMHO, it's whats wrong with the Labour education system - too much working for exams and league tables and not enough actual teaching and learning. I heard on the news this morning that around 100 local primaries are boycotting the SAT's this year. Good for them! Their priority as always should be to provide a solid education not chicken feed the students to make worthless exam results.

(I'll get back off my high horse soon - I promise .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If King George V hadnt have removed the none of the above from the voting papers, we would be in a much better position to show them on a whole that we are displeased on a large scale! But such is life!

Thank Post
    I didn't vote in the last general election because all of the parties seemed to be as bad as each other. I voted this morning because I am embarrassed by the current buffoon running the country.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So I see the current trend towards intellectual superiority is not waning. Brilliant, aren't we clever.

Yeah there are people out there who don't know how to vote and are intimidated by the whole process and some of that comes from people like the ones here deriding people.
    We live in a country with severe voter apathy and anything that helps people get involved with the process can only be a good thing.

9. Thanks to sparkeh from:

ICT_GUY (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Apathy is the only winner when people cannot be bothered to vote. It's a major reason why our first past the post electoral system allows the Tories or Labour to form a Government having received a minority of votes cast. Bad weather on polling day can can have a bigger influence on turnout than anything a politician might have to say.... that's why they never call elections during the winter
    Last edited by broc; 6th May 2010 at 10:12 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkeh View Post
    So I see the current trend towards intellectual superiority is not waning. Brilliant, aren't we clever.

Yeah there are people out there who don't know how to vote and are intimidated by the whole process and some of that comes from people like the ones here deriding people.
    We live in a country with severe voter apathy and anything that helps people get involved with the process can only be a good thing.
    I think the 'idiots' out there really believe that the voting system wouldn't help them whether they put an X, Y or Z in the box.

I also believe those people who stand or sit outside asking to see your slip are intimidating for some.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    WHY? No one who gives a rat's bottom what you think will read it and your opinion will not get passed on to anyone who matters. Your vote will be thrown away and that'll be that.

The advice I was given was that if you are disenchanted with the main parties, then vote for one of the minor ones because the main lot do take notice of the number of people who do this - I know that the Monster Raving Loony party have no chance of getting in, but politicians know that we know that, and so they take note of the numbers of people who chose to use their vote in this way to express their displeasure.
    Short of a 'no confidence' box, it seems like the best way to me
    Notice is taken of spoilt ballot papers - I used to be Ward Secretary for one of the parties in the early 90s and used to officiate at ballot paper counts. Spoilt papers are put to one side and details taken if there are comments on them.
    Last edited by tech_guy; 6th May 2010 at 02:46 PM.

13. 3 Thanks to tech_guy:

creese (6th May 2010), danrhodes (6th May 2010), Gatt (6th May 2010)

Thank Post
    That's interesting and I wonder if it has changed? I asked both my local MP and the people at the polling station and they said that the spoilt ballot papers were counted, of course (as I expected) but nothing was officially recorded about the comments on them. That's not to say that an opposing party might not take them for their own use - to beat the sitting MP over the head with.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    I also believe those people who stand or sit outside asking to see your slip are intimidating for some.
    I agree - but what gets to me is that they don't have any right to ask for it!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by solitaire89 View Post
    I agree - but what gets to me is that they don't have any right to ask for it!
    Excuse my ignorance, I put it down to old age and medical condition that gives me the memory of a .... whatsit. Who are they and why do they ask and should I say no tonight?

Thank Post
    Hehe - should I rephrase?!

Thank Post
    They are party workers who are just looking to see who has voted so that they can check against their supporter lists. This way, if someone hasnt voted, they can pop round and see if there is a problem or if someone needs a reminder or a lift.
    Ours are very polite and make it VERY clear why they are asking and that you don't have to answer if you choose not to

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast