+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Depressed if we have a Tory goverment. in General; Originally Posted by Gibbo How about the rise of the surveillance society under Labour? (I've been arrested and detained twice ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    How about the rise of the surveillance society under Labour? (I've been arrested and detained twice for "anti-terrorism" reasons just because I like to take photos of buildings). The farce of ID cards? The thousands of jobs lost at BAE? The Gulf War? Afghanistan? And now sabre rattling at Iran?
    Do you HONESTLY think the Tories would have done ANY of that differently? Well, other than leading us into war, rather than following the USA.

If the Tories win, I'm moving to Mars!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    So why support a new Trident with out reviewing. To me it seems silly that Trident is not part of the strategic defence reviews. As a country we must have wasted a fortune on Nuclear weapons.
    Its a waste if it didn't do its job. Its a deterrent, the whole point is that if its effective we never have to use it. Therefore it can be argued that it has been worth every penny.

Thank Post
    As a deterrent, keep our seat on the UN Security Council etc.
    One thing you should realise, LibDem don't plan to renew Trident, but they DO want a nuclear deterrent. The problem is, we would have to develop our own system which would cost far more than Trident and would also breach nuclear testing bans.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Do you HONESTLY think the Tories would have done ANY of that differently? Well, other than leading us into war, rather than following the USA.

If the Tories win, I'm moving to Mars!
    Errm, yes I do, so would the LibDems and almost any other party except Labour.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    Its a waste if it didn't do its job. Its a deterrent, the whole point is that if its effective we never have to use it. Therefore it can be argued that it has been worth every penny.
    A deterrent to what? Under what circumstances would you actually consider firing it? I bet we wouldn't even if were being invaded. I wonder if a better deterrent, especially in this day and age, would be to better equip our armed forces and plough some extra dough into intellegence gavering and anti-terrorism units.

Spennding millions on something you're not going to use under any circumstances and justifying it as a 'deterent' is just loonacy! (IMHO).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    No but I have seen both Labour and Tory in national government in a 'leading' role !

Can I ask a related question - Why do we need Trident at all?
    dunno. don't really have an opinion one way or t'other.

realistically, what concessions will the libdems get in return for supporting lab or con. anything on trident ? i doubt it. electoral reform ? dunno.

the point is even if they do get concessions and have influence they would be very much in a 'supporting' role, so in supporting the tories they'd try and influence on not making 6bn [a tiny fraction of govt. spending] 'efficiency savings' this year. There attitudes toward deficit reduction seem more conservative than labours focus for deficit reduction.....i'm not sure they are the progressive party on certain important issues. And the juries out as to what they would actually do for real.

or as broc says, the whole coalition thing could fall apart within a few months and we end up who knows where as far as whose making the decisions the country needs to make to get out of the hole we're in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    have you seen libdems in local govt. in a 'supporting' role ?

if you had you probably wouldn't identify them as a diluter of conservative goals. If anything, they are to the right of labour and more likely to have a conservative influence on the labour party as far as issues such as deficit reduction.
    Labour in local government is a very different animal from 'New Labour' at a national level. I regard 'New Labour' as centre-right compared with Labour in local government. Many LibDem policies (at a national level) seem to be centre-left compared to New Labour. At a local level my limited experience of my fathers local council (Libdem majority) is that these positions are reversed, as you suggest.

Thank Post
    lol ive seen these kind of threads appear on various forums..It usually ends up with someone getting banned for life

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    lol ive seen these kind of threads appear on various forums..It usually ends up with someone getting banned for life
    Don't worry, we're quiet tollerent here. So long as you agree to march with us at the next BNP rally

Thank Post
    A deterrent to what? Under what circumstances would you actually consider firing it? I bet we wouldn't even if were being invaded. I wonder if a better deterrent, especially in this day and age, would be to better equip our armed forces and plough some extra dough into intellegence gavering and anti-terrorism units.

Spennding millions on something you're not going to use under any circumstances and justifying it as a 'deterent' is just loonacy! (IMHO).
    First off, you're making the assumption that any future threats are going to be the same as what we are currently facing, chances are they won't be. The more bases we cover, the better defended we are. If we plough all our resources into equiping the army for anti-terrorism then we leave ourselves weakly defended in other areas. The problem in Afghanistan is that our government along with our allies completely underestimated the threat posed by the Taliban. If they'd taken it seriously and put in the resources, equipment and troop numbers plus didn't get distracted by invading Iraq then the Afghan problem would've been solved years ago.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Errm, yes I do, so would the LibDems and almost any other party except Labour.
    i hate it when people use the 'would it have been any different ?' argument. IT's pure conjecture, the fact is only one party did it for real. Are we supposed to excuse the record of the incumbent govt. because, well, we're pretty sure it would have ended up the same way whoever was in power....hypothetically.

it's nonsense. just as it's nonsense that some people point to very high interest rates of the 80's/90's.....when it's extremely unlikely to reoccur today because of the way the monetary system and CB operations work these days and because of a political switch from monetarism to inflation targetting which happened BEFORE 1997 and new labour .....nothing to do with the color of the rosette in power.

then again the some of the people who won't vote for the tories because of the high rates of the ERM era, probably wanted us to join the euro until recently. madness.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Labour in local government is a very different animal from 'New Labour' at a national level. I regard 'New Labour' as centre-right compared with Labour in local government. Many LibDem policies (at a national level) seem to be centre-left compared to New Labour. At a local level my limited experience of my fathers local council (Libdem majority) is that these positions are reversed, as you suggest.
    but the deficit reduction strategy is a [national] libdem goal. if that's more conservative/right-of-center than what labour are proposing, then it's not something specific to local libdems is it ?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As an interesting point - a large part of the reason Trident is a very effective deterent is because unlike land-based missiles it is much harder to target or saboutage. A large part of this is due to the secrecy, and the fact that mobile subs are harder to find than big missile silos.

So, the harder your deterent is to find and target, the better it is, and the less likely to actually be fired.

Carrying on from that, for a mere £1 000 000 I can design and build a perfect deterent which will be impossible for our enemies to find and destroy. So long as it never needs to be used, it will function perfectly. If it does need to be used we'll all be dead anyway, but I'll have had £1 000 000 and our defense budget will have been nicely slashed.

14. Thanks to jamesb from:

CHR1S (5th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andyturpie View Post
    it's only politics [and a bit of economics]. it's like one of those exam quesitons where there is no right or wrong answer....just interpretations and opinions.

this thread won't get out of control.....everyone will get bored before it get's to that stage.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    First off, you're making the assumption that any future threats are going to be the same as what we are currently facing, chances are they won't be. The more bases we cover, the better defended we are. If we plough all our resources into equiping the army for anti-terrorism then we leave ourselves weakly defended in other areas. The problem in Afghanistan is that our government along with our allies completely underestimated the threat posed by the Taliban. If they'd taken it seriously and put in the resources, equipment and troop numbers plus didn't get distracted by invading Iraq then the Afghan problem would've been solved years ago.
    Possibly, but like a good politico - you didn't actually answer the question Under what circumstances would you put your finger on the big red button and say to your self 'you know what, this is the right thing to do'.

Because of their very nature most civilised nations are pretty much agreed that there is no plausable circumstance where such mass genocide can be considered in any way the moral thing to do. It's only a detterrent so long as your enemys actually believe you would possibly uses. Really, I don't think we ever would. So it'd not a detterrent, just a huge waste of tax payers money.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast