+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Depressed if we have a Tory goverment. in General; Originally Posted by Disease To all the Labour fanboys I say......... Winter of Discontent, what maggie ensured was that no ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,644 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    To all the Labour fanboys I say......... Winter of Discontent, what maggie ensured was that no union would ever bring the country to it's knees again. Go Maggie!
    Not quite... Royal Mail's strikes didn't exactly help the country. Nor did the BA strikes...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Not quite... Royal Mail's strikes didn't exactly help the country. Nor did the BA strikes...
    Or the volcano. Damn the Fiery Mountain Party!

Thank Post
    I do find it quite funny that anyone in Education would vote tory, as out of all the parties, they are the ones most likely to put you out of a job.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    I do find it quite funny that anyone in Education would vote tory, as out of all the parties, they are the ones most likely to put you out of a job.

You can't always think of yourself whenvoting for what is best for the country or the greater good.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Equally, neither does a union rep beyond their own ambition and sphere of influence.
    now, now....that's no way to talk about the next leader of the labour party. ;0)

but seriously, the criticisms of past tory and labour govts. are valid.....i'm just not sure about all the love on here for vince cable.

regarding the cuts to come, i think a lot of it is long overdue. the level of wasteful spending and poor allocation of spending needs to be addressed. I know that doing more with the same or less money will result in redundancies and that too often it's indiscriminate, but there are too many people happy to jump on the gravy train for a free ride......sometimes it feels as if the bloated state exists to feed itself rather than provide value for money and deliver public service....and instead exists to humour people who believe they are owed a wage for doing very little [and how many of them really need the money]. i'm not under any illusions that it will be easy to solve, but just continuing to throw money at the whole edifice is not sustainable.

that's what i would fear from a labour govt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    You can't always think of yourself whenvoting for what is best for the country or the greater good.
    I am thats why i am voting Lib-Dem as they seam to want to sting everyone equally, but as usual tories will sting the poor and labour will sting the rich. Trouble is most people vote for themselves not for the greater good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    It seems the Tories can't win whatever they do. If they keep council tax low then they're accused of cutting local services. If they increase council tax then they're slated for adding an extra tax burden.
    You could put any party name in there and it would be true. What we ought to do is not just say "how much tax" but "what do residents get for it"

My local council (Hammersmith and Fulham; often used by Cameron as an example of a good council) has cut council tax for the past 3 years which sounds wonderful. What they've also done is put up the charges for everything else (on-street parking charges but they've gone up massively, for example) They've also claimed more money from central government (which is still tax I pay) and used up reserves. On top of that, their "efficiency savings" have put a good number of people out of work. Of course, those people don't matter - they were probably on short term contracts so they just vanish from the system; there are no compulsory redundancies.

On top of all that we now have a dreadful council funded newspaper (if it was the only thing you read about the borough you'd run screaming from the place thinking it was an absolute hell hole) which is putting other local papers out of business - they can't compete with a free council paper. (It wouldn't matter if the council paper was just council news but it tries to cover everything including local entertainment etc and takes advertising which means there are fewer advertisers to spend money with other papers)

Thank Post
    I've had enough of the election too I agree with Dos_Box! But its blue for me as well!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 849 Posts
    Blog Entries
    People seem to think that if tories were in power when the credit boom was around they would have done anything different. If anything according to Paxman when he grilled Cameron the tories at the time would have given the banks etc even less regulation!
    I recommend all to watch BBC iPlayer - Jeremy Paxman Interviews: David Cameron at least. It also goes on about how the tories plan to deal with the bank issue was a complete joke and the opposite of what every other country etc was going to do. I am just glad Cameron was NOT in power to screw us up more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Labour - LibDem coalition for me... preferably without Gordon Brown at the helm........ I think the LibDems could dilute New Labour conservative goals....
    have you seen libdems in local govt. in a 'supporting' role ?

if you had you probably wouldn't identify them as a diluter of conservative goals. If anything, they are to the right of labour and more likely to have a conservative influence on the labour party as far as issues such as deficit reduction.
    Last edited by torledo; 5th May 2010 at 02:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    People seem to think that if tories were in power when the credit boom was around they would have done anything different. If anything according to Paxman when he grilled Cameron the tories at the time would have given the banks etc even less regulation!
    I recommend all to watch BBC iPlayer - Jeremy Paxman Interviews: David Cameron at least. It also goes on about how the tories plan to deal with the bank issue was a complete joke and the opposite of what every other country etc was going to do. I am just glad Cameron was NOT in power to screw us up more.
    maybe the tories weren't wrong, maybe there were other options beyond nationalisation.....it would have involved no less in the way of moral hazard than the nationalisation/pseudo-nationalisation route....just an alternative method of dealing with bank failures. it's just that now that brown 'saved the world' every other alternative is automatically wrong. which i don't buy into personally.

12. Thanks to torledo from:

kevbaz (5th May 2010)

Thank Post

From this, I hate foxes.

14. 3 Thanks to teejay:

CHR1S (5th May 2010), powdarrmonkey (5th May 2010), tmcd35 (5th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Well as the country is NOT run by the government anway...
    'Yes minister' comes to mind.
    I am not sure who to vote for.
    To me Labour have been in power too long (like the tories before them).
    They all say they will do this that and the other and then nothing.
    Locally the conservatives are in and Chshire is in a right mess!
    But guess what! the number of 'new' jobs with high salaries is vast!!
    At our local offices (Wyvern house), the councilors think that they are gods!
    They actually expect for everyone to 'move out of the way' and you actually feel that you areinferior to them.
    Personally I think that it should be the other way around.
    So who will I vote for?
    Dunno. Not lab not Tories but after that? who knows
    Alan

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post

From this, I hate foxes.
    According to this im a Lib Dem man then!

17. 2 Thanks to danrhodes:

ICT_GUY (5th May 2010), localzuk (5th May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    have you seen libdems in local govt. in a 'supporting' role ?
    No but I have seen both Labour and Tory in national government in a 'leading' role !

Can I ask a related question - Why do we need Trident at all?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast