+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, O2 Broadband Wireless white boxes and Own router setup in General; Has anyone on here managed to get a 3rd party router to work with the O2 ADSL2plus LLU connection where ...
    Thank Post

O2 Broadband Wireless white boxes and Own router setup

Has anyone on here managed to get a 3rd party router to work with the O2 ADSL2plus LLU connection where you dont need a username or password to access the net? I have been trying for the past few days with a belkin router which says it is ADSL2+ compatitble.

I have looked on the o2 sites about using 3rd party routers and it says "http://www.o2user.co.uk/forum/o2-broadband-tutorial-section/673-how-use-your-own-router-o2-broadband.html" but i have tried all this and still it will not work.

Can someone advise please.

Thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    No idea but then again I'd never be using a Belkin bit of kit!
    My honest and sincere advice is take it back and get a new or second hand Netgear DG834GT (often badged Sky) from eBay. These have the same chipset as your ISP's kit at the exchange and as a result you get a far better/quicker/more reliable connection. Have a quick google around for O2 or Be Broadband with DG834GT and you'll soon see
    The information on their site should be all you need to do - VCI and VPI need to be 101 and 0 from memory (will check tonight) and leave everything else default. Let me look tonight and will report back with my exact settings.

Thank Post
    ok, thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just checked, as above VPI 0 VCI 101 and the rest default/as you like. Using OpenDNS servers.

Thank Post
    I managed to get a Draytek to work with BE/O2 and my son has had an Apple Airport running on it, there are plenty of posts about this and many of the common routers have been made to work with command line config changes.
    The parameter changes you may need in the Belkin may not be accessible from the GUI.

The VPI VCI are definately different from the normal 0 / 38 and the Default Router for some reason blocks Port 443 inbound redirection so its pretty useless if you want to host anything at home which is why most people want to change it!

The Netgear is as cheap as chips and works with anything.

Thank Post
    i've just done one (over weekend) - as others have said VCI and VPI are different 101 and 1 but make sure your router is set to LLC based multiplexing also - or it just wont work.

i actually used your link How to use your own router with O2 Broadband - O2User - Unofficial help and support forum for O2 and it helped me greatly with a netgear router.

the other thing i did was a bit naughty but it soon made it work... i changed the 'outside facing' mac address to that of the old o2 device. it make the auth just work. without doing that i had an ADSL connection but nothing more. not all routers can do this... and i'm pretty sure it's against some regs.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The other good thing about using the mentioned Netgears is that you can use some 3rd party firmware for them, the DGTeam one is particularly good. Allows you far more control over it, even as far as letting you set noise rations to fine tune your connection without having to let your ISP do it for you (after much begging). I've been recommending many O2/Be users do this, and as a result sales of Sky Broadband routers for 20 on eBay has shot up recently They do have Sky's very limited firmware installed so it needs changing over to either Netgear's standard or the DGTeam one, which is as easy as eating mash potato.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    I've been recommending many O2/Be users do this, and as a result sales of Sky Broadband routers for 20 on eBay has shot up recently They do have Sky's very limited firmware installed so it needs changing over to either Netgear's standard or the DGTeam one, which is as easy as eating mash potato.
    I tried the netgears firmware but it refused to update my router as I have a sky one, where is the link to this dgteam page for a sky netgear router ?

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the comments, i shall let them know that they need a Netgear router.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    DGTeam - The Custom DG834XX Series Router Firmware Web Site for the firmware. All instructions provided If my memory serves me correctly you need to download a flashing tool to do it as you can't from Sky's interface.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread