+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, MOT!!! in General; ...

Thank Post

MOT!!!

My car is 5 years old and has done 15,500 miles. I've just taken it in for MOT and service and they have phoned to say it failed because there is corrosion in the front disk. It will cost £225 and they can't get the parts until next week.

I wonder if the corrosion is partly down to the low mileage? The car's kept garaged overnight.

Thank Post
    Blimy, only 5 years old and it failed on that, quite unusual. Corrosion on parts like that which is bad enough for the car to fail takes quite a bit to happen, normally only if the cars been parked up outside for a long time.

They don't make 'em like they used to, my car is 15 years old with 104,000 miles on the clock, and it flew through the last 2 MOT's with no problems at all - I seriously doubt it's going to obtain a 3rd one however.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a toyota is it?

Corrosion on a disk though - £225? a pair of discs (might as well do both) will set you back an average of £60, might as well replace the pads too, £30 for a set (average) and £10 for a caliper tool. Well under half that price and if you don't mind getting your hands dirty can do it in half an hour, taking your time to do it correctly. Or better still pay a friend that can do it for you with a few beers. That's a silly price unless it's a souped up Nova with brake discs bigger than the original wheels and all sorts of tongues, grooves and sporty holes in them.

Thank Post
    With disks you have to replace both at the same time.... but i agree with the above it shouldn't be that pricey.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    That £225 might be the discs, pads and fitting etc and it doesn't say what type of garage its in, so it could be deemed "reasonable" if its a costly labour place. For example, just priced up front discs and pads for my car and it comes to £77 just for them without labour, so by the time a garage has sorted it that could be a potential figure.
    Last edited by john; 1st May 2010 at 01:59 PM.

Thank Post
    Is that a main dealer? What's the car, how long do you plan to keep it?

I've got front pads and disks, an MOT test and some repairs (not parts needed) to the rear brakes on my car for £190. Oh and I drive a Chysler, there parts are very expensive (the mechanic told me it would be 'roughly' £150 before he'd checked the price of the parts).

Thank Post
    One of the reasons that I take the car out before the MOT, and on the way I rag the bottom off it and give the brakes and catalyst a good hard workout..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just after xmas I replaced the front disks and front and rear pads on my Vectra.

Costs:

Front discs = £52
    Front and rear pads = £29
    Copper grease =£4
    Locking compound for the bolts = £4
    Haynes manual = £13

I had never done this before and it took me about 3 hours to do the lot. In between taking things appart and replacing I did take the time to scrub and Hammerrite the the calipers whilst they were loose!

Brakes work a treat and look clean too.

Most of all I'm glad I done it myself as I now feel more confident about attemping other things too. Haynes manual was the best investment for me and my car!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 869 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Aye, they're good investments. Also you can often buy electronic service manuals which can be a lot more descriptive for many cars which will usually tickle the fancy of the average mechanical-electronic geek like me
    I'm no mechanic but with the right documentation and good advice I've done head gasket replacements (yeah, had 2 Rovers), exhaust and manifold replacements, new brakes, ball joints, springs, the works. Easily saved well over 2 grand in garage labour fees Just always, always worth making sure you have the right tools first though - doing calipers without compression tools and springs without spring tensioners, gaskets without cam lockers etc can get dangerous and take AGES :|

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 931 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    ...doing calipers without compression tools
    G Clamps solve everything Thats what I've used many times and they are still working fine to this day, although saying that the fact you have to put pressure and rotate on the ones on my Golf does make that a bit harder to achieve so may just invest in the correct tool.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, right tools for the right job!

Thank Post
    Mine went in for its MOT last week, I'd had a rattle which I thought was just the back seat slightly loose, was a bit shocked when I found out it was actually the suspension broken! Along with other stuff like brakes, tyres etc total bill was just over £600, eek!

Thank Post
    Worst brakes I ever replaced were on a Ford Fiesta. The disc had pretty much welded itself to the hub so it required a lot of brake cleaner (full can!) and some quite intense persuasion from a lump hammer. 2 hours later one side done, 30 mins after that both sides done!

Most annoying thing was that about a month later it got written off after a disagreement with an Isuzu Trooper...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    Haynes manual was the best investment for me and my car!
    So true, a while back my car had an oil leak that was caused by a paper gasket which had gone after 15years. I replaced it with a nice metal gasket (which cost me about £2) but that wasn't before I had to dismantle half the engine to get to it. I'd not really got a clue what I was doing, I just went to Halfords, bought a Haynes manual, followed that and borrowed half my dad's garage.

Thank Post
    For cheap car parts I use www.eurocarparts.com got my thermostat on there for 5 quid! I actually spent more on coolant than the thermostat

If you type in your reg number it finds the parts for you and you can then see if you are being had or not!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast