+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Fair comment? in General; This amuses me, as I probably come into the category of "marketeer" - as I am "only" a member because ...

Thank Post
    This amuses me, as I probably come into the category of "marketeer" - as I am "only" a member because I work for a company who supply the education market. Having said that - my posting history tells a different story, as one of the more active members, I take part in much more diverse discussions than those limited to my "product" areas. This probably says more about edugeek than it does me, of course.

This board is now a part of us - our sysadmin (who was on here long before he joined SW) uses it as nature intended... and i think we probaby have 15 staff on here over 3 offices, all looking to do slightly different things.

So yeah, I object to his marketeer comments - I have seem real "marketeers" on here and they last ~15 seconds.
    Last edited by tom_newton; 2nd May 2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: tyop

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the whole idea of most forums - you may only join up to get a little help with a problem - then another - then you realise you can help someone with theirs, then you find the "social" part of the site and find there are hundreds and thousands of interesting/strange/odd people with which to interact. It becomes more than a place to get or give help. It becomes a place to chat. A proper community. That a person would feel compelled to contribute to such a community outside of their office hours is nothing less than a compliment to the people running the place and the other contributors. Without the community and social section, I would be inclined to believe the other parts would have long dissapeared into the depths of "just another faceless forum with a couple of hundred users".

Sorry, verbal diarrhoea, even though we've been correctly instructed to sit and wait until Tuesday

Thank Post
    @synaesthesia I agree and as it has been mentioned many times previously, for us lone techs this really is a lifeline. My lea ict support team are very approachable and helpful but do not have the sometimes daunting experience of sole responsibility for everything seemingly with a plug on!

I look at Witch and Elsiegee's posts (who actually could be me) and invariably I don't have to post a question because they've already asked it and the suggestions are rolling in.
    Last edited by chrbb; 2nd May 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, no getting personal about this please. If we got upset about what gets said here we would have banned Mattx a long time ago

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I think insulting comment is nearer the mark. If he said in his opinion that some members of EduGeek could be seen as marketers and slanderers and gave examples then fair enough, but saying that the site EduGeek.net is full of them is so far removed from the truth it’s laughable.

On a more personal level I take offence to the comments. I have been a member of this site from almost the start and like many, many others have made my home here. The knowledge that can be found within these walls is immense, and the approachability of the staff that run and make the site what it is unlike any other site I have used. It is because of this that I, again like many others here share what skills I have to other members happy in the knowledge that I have helped a fellow professional and that if I need help there will be people happy to help me. Am I a marketer? Do I post unsubstantiated comments about companies? No then why should I be labeled as such.

Yes the site has companies they will recommend their products, and they pay for the privilege which in turns pays the bills. But on the flip side if any of these companies were taking schools for a ride then EduGeek wouldn’t stop members from voicing their concerns, if founded, just because the company in question was an advertiser / sponsor. If anything the Admins would do what they can to help resolve a dispute. At the end of the day these companies do a great job and it is why so many members feel they can recommend them.

In fact how many members have actually saved time and money by using the suppliers that take the time to be part of this community?

6. 2 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

kmount (4th May 2010), witch (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,054 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know I have saved alot of time using companies on here, even if just for quotes or advice! I have called up the boys at smoothwall for example of tips for White and blacklisting, and they have always been more than willing to help, despite the fact that I do not use there main product (i use ISA and smoothwall.org). Same goes for calling Simon, Joe or Mark at CP. I hav called them solely for product advice before, and they have an opinion I can trust, not because I buy from them - both for personal products and school products - but becauSe they are relible, and often give me alternatives to look at that I would have otherwise not have considered. I am thankful to everyone on this site, even those whom have disagreed with something I have said, because they all have a viewpoint I may not have considered!

8. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

tom_newton (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Sweet $deity folks ... what is this? A witch hunt ...

Yes, he is a member. Yes, he has obviously found some stuff on here that he does not like and has expressed it. It seems that he has found the use of quotes from EG not helpful in that report. I think he use of words was not the best but I would rather he was given a chance to talk with Chris and co about it then what I can see so far. It is the bank holiday weekend folk ... some people might want to not bother looking at the site because *THEY HAVE A LIFE* (unlike me ....)

How about giving this a break until some time on tuesday afternoon?
    Because he didn't bother to chat with people on here before posting that we're all slanderers and marketeers? Sorry, but that's the nature of the internet. If you go around posting negative comments about a community of people who spend their time trying to help others, then you're going to get an earful.

Acting like we're behaving in an unacceptable way because this person is talking behind the scenes with Chris and co is not right - we're expressing our distaste for his ridiculous comment.

If he's willing to post a comment on twitter, he should be willing to explain himself. Imagine what the reaction had been if he'd said that to people in a pub?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,889 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @localzuk
    Also remember ... this was a comment on twitter ... a communication form limited to 140 characters ... words will get cut out and so you might not always get the true meaning of what the comment intended. Just another example of how people will jump onto something without giving folk the benefit of doubt. He said 'full of...' not that everyone is. As i have also pointed out ... it is a bank holiday weekend. Ever thought he might have better things to do other than spend all weekend sitting online dealing with some hurt feelings? No ... he might be spending time with family, possibly catching up on paperwork for the day job (I know *I* have a chunk of stuff to do before Tuesday).

Do I think that there are marketeers on here and companies that use members to peddle their goods? Damn right I do ... Do I think people have in the past made comments that are pure speculation or ranted on opinions with no evidence or backing? Yes ... but I know the work done by admins and moderators to stop this but there are times when stuff is on there for people to see until it is tidied up. Do I still think that there are groups out there that are still dubious about EG? Of course there are ... the same way people are dubious about NUT, NAHT, NSCL, TeachMeets, BETT, BESA, TES, etc ....

This member has made 1 comment ... 1 ... in another arena ... and yes, people are a bit annoyed about it but get some perspective ... both in response to the comment and the time it takes for people to then make further responses. I am not saying airing your response to his comment is wrong, but also consider that we only ever see a part of the communication that goes on here. PMs and emails after making contact with other members actually form a large part of information sharing, and because it is more behind closed doors there is the tendency to be a bit more opinionated in them as they are 'private' ... that is not just here, but across many forums and communication means ... DMs on twitter perform the same function and I have seen some telling messages where people have put a message as a reply instead of a DM.

@synaesthesia really not an instruction (I don't have that power), just a plea to stop it becoming a thread that needs a lot of looking at over the Bank Holiday Weekend when so many of us want to be doing more fun things such as going to watch Iron Man 2, or even doing some gardening. I have decided that going to the beer tent is not a good idea (Visiting Cavalcade) as being tee-total is viewed strangely at these events, more so than EG conferences.

11. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

elsiegee40 (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    True enough; it was a bloody good point though so suggestion/instruction - both sensible
    Anyway, with the rain today and the ground being a little soggy, people are also wisely finding the inside of the beer tent useful whilst they soggy-up their innards at said cavalcade Going tomorrow if it's not too wet, just annoyed we didn't go yesterday instead, was a cracking day!

Thank Post
    Given that he clearly doesn't understand the meaning of slander (clue: slander is verbal, libel is written/published) then I have to take his comments with a pinch of salt.

Thank Post
    So basically he has read something here that he doesn't like - fair enough, he is entitled to his own opinion. The fact he 'told the internet' via twitter has been raised...

So what?

We are being recognised as a authority (of a kind) on a subject and he disagrees, yet again - opinion only.

The worst thing we could do is start jumping down his throat screaming blue murder, fine defend ourselves - but do it like the professionals we are. If called to defend ourselves then our professional manner and experience will show through.

I know I have my list of companies I don't like but I have my reasons due to my own experience - I wouldn't like to be brought to heel for having them.

Calm down dear - It's turned into an advert. :P

Thank Post
    Surely that very twitter post is libelous in itself?!

Thank Post
    You can't please everyone. Even if you had the best product/service in the world, someone would moan about it, guaranteed.

Just carry on as normal I personally think this site has a wealth of knowledge - after spending ages reading topics, in the end I just had to sign up as I wanted to try and contribute as I'd learnt so much just from reading a few posts here and there.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The TES Article shows one thing that applies to any industry or even personal sales, shop around. You geta better deal looking around, getting quotes and pitting the companies at each other in quote wars then you do going for the first supplier.

No-one on here should go for the first supplier mentioned just like they shouldn't walk into a shop and buy the first TV they see. Bring up Amazon or a Trade website, look around, see what materials cost, look at how much it'd cost to DIY and let each company know how much the other is undercutting by.

It's like using Wikipedia for a research project. You never trust the article, you cross-reference it. Same with prices and quotes, EduGeek is merely one tool you can use instead of a total replacement.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any more news on this folks?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast