+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, ....."the number one reason Macs crash". in General; According to the BBC - Jobs stated: The Apple boss added that Flash fell short on security and was "the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

....."the number one reason Macs crash".

According to the BBC - Jobs stated:

The Apple boss added that Flash fell short on security and was "the number one reason Macs crash".

BBC News - Apple boss Steve Jobs explains ban on Flash

If that's the case then why is Apple blocking Flash from iPhones but not Macs ? And my PCs [ and I have quite a few of them ] have never crashed because of Flash. Does that mean OSX is crappier than Windows ?
    Last edited by mattx; 30th April 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Thank Post
    it means mr jobs cant milk money from apps done in flash or make them apple only making it harder to port to another system. he just seems to want a compleely closed system with no other big names getting even a small slice of the apps market

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    it means mr jobs cant milk money from apps done in flash or make them apple only making it harder to port to another system. he just seems to want a compleely closed system with no other big names getting even a small slice of the apps market
    If that's the case then what will happen when HTML5 becomes the norm ? Bloke is a first class moron [ as usual ]

4. Thanks to mattx from:

tech_guy (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I said on Twitter last night, I wonder how many people (there was a large number) who agreed with the post from Apple, would still agree with Jobs if he said Flash was amazing. Over 90%?

6. 6 Thanks to webman:

CyberNerd (30th April 2010), ICT_GUY (30th April 2010), LosOjos (30th April 2010), mattx (30th April 2010), tech_guy (30th April 2010), Tyiell (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    There's a lot of Apple fanboy-ism about and it's just plain irritating. Fair play to them, the iPod seriously pushed the MP3 player market (despite doing nothing new and actually limiting you to the use of iTunes to use them) and the iPhone has given the smart phone market a good shove too, but it seems to me that Apple seem to be a lot of style and little substance.

I've jumped in to Android and am happy to have done so

Thank Post
    I have had a few browser hangs from Flash in OS X but I've had more crashes from other software, or just Finder

Thank Post
    I'm still struggling with my Samsing Monte......Bleeding terrible phone. Just glad I didn't pay for it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,201 Times in 814 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I'm still struggling with my Samsing Monte......Bleeding terrible phone. Just glad I didn't pay for it.
    I've had two Samsung's in the past and thought both were terrible to be honest, really awkward UI and the semi-touch screen I had (it was one of those where the soft keys are touch screen and the keypad are touch type) was absolutely appalling, way too sensitive for my clumsy fingers

Thank Post
    The touch screen is not a problem for me now I am used to it. For me it's the other factors, I installed Opera Mini on it but I can stop it from connecting to the 3G network when I want to use it as I only want to use it on a Wi-Fi connection. I can't sync up my Outlook calendar - [ contacts not a problem ] and I can't install apps from the Kies software as it won't see the phone [ when you choose that option from the software interface ] and the PC Studio software won't see the phone either. Also I used the video converter within the KIES software to change a Family Guy AVI to an MP4 - uploaded it to the phone [ as it only plays .mp4s ] and guess what, it won't play. One useless piece of junk in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    I have had a few browser hangs from Flash in OS X but I've had more crashes from other software, or just Finder
    Ditto. I don't think my macs have crashed while I've been using anything Flash-powered, but I have had Finder crash doing other things, often while moving between Spaces - it isn't always as stable as you'd want it to be!

Personally, my somewhat cynical point of view is as Sted's:
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    jobs cant milk money from apps done in flash or make them apple only making it harder to port to another system. he just seems to want a compleely closed system with no other big names getting even a small slice of the apps market
    While Jobs' arguments make a certain amount of sense, the accusations of controlling the market for Apple devices seems the most likely reason to me.

Thank Post
    my experience of most crash happy mac software is parallels just locked the mac up solid with a please turn off message on the screen

Thank Post
    Does that mean OSX is crappier than Windows ?
    Yes

Exactly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread