+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Branching Database in General; Our HofICT has sent me an email asking if we have any form of branching database for a Y5 science ...

Thank Post

Branching Database

Our HofICT has sent me an email asking if we have any form of branching database for a Y5 science module. I don't know what she wants to do yet but would think Access filtering should do the trick, unless there's something better suited to Y5 out there. I did a quick google search and din't come up with anything.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You might be able to do it in Access but it's not going to be easy - it's not just about filtering data from an existing data set but being able to add items by asking questions ("is it solid or liquid", "acid or alkali" etc) and then either finding an item or saying "this is new; what distinguishes it from item XXX"

Doing a quick Google, I found FlexiTree 2 - a branching database for schools is a good example of the software (as an aside, I'm pleased to see Flexible software is still going!) There's also RM.com Shop: Textease Branch CT

3. 2 Thanks to srochford:

laserblazer (29th April 2010), Pete10141748 (30th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Our Year 4's use Textease Branch to begin learning about branching. In Year 5 this is extended to be used across the curriculum. Very easy to create and interrogate, even if you're not familiar with databases of any kind.

5. Thanks to leco from:

laserblazer (29th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Our HofICT has sent me an email asking if we have any form of branching database for a Y5 science module.
    I'm trying to get FlexiTree working under Wine on Linux - at the moment, the initial opening screen gets mangled and I can't get any fuirther. Another alternative is to simply write one - it's the kind of thing that should be pretty simple to do as a little web-based app of some kind.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    We had something called Ask Oscar, which did branching databases. Not sure it ever got installed, as it was bought with a single user licence (the mistake of letting an outgoing head buy things in a last-minute rush to spend up!). We've more recently done it with Smart Notebook (put pictures at the top, cloned infinitely, then type the question and drag the relevant pictures to the yes or no side) and also using Excel with data filters on the columns.

The first lesson on branching databases sometimes isn't computer-based though, opting instead for board or floor work with flash cards - not high tech, but it teaches the principles which they can then transfer to the computers.

Thank Post
    I've looked at Flexitree and it seems to be ideal for waht we want. Dead easy to use, colourful and applicable to all years and abilities. Thanks again for the link.

£224 for a site licence.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,699 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what exactly you want to use it for but if it was done in images Pivot Learn More about Pivot | Live Labs Pivot may do it in a very visual way, free too.

Thank Post
    FlexiTree does look nice, here we've got the branching database that comes in the Granada Toolkit v2 and it seems to do fine for what the staff want, but the FlexiTree software does look a bit more friendly for the younger / lower ability pupils.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,618 Posts
    We have TextEase Studio CT which includes Branch amongst other modules. TextEase is used a lot across the school here.

Thank Post
    Ask Oscar is quite good. I use it and the kids like it which is a bonus. Flexi tree is OK but out of the two I would plump for Ask Oscar.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread