+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Intensive Driving courses in General; Has anyone ever done one? I need to learn to drive, buses are a joke. I've had hundreds of lessons ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Intensive Driving courses

Has anyone ever done one?

I need to learn to drive, buses are a joke.

I've had hundreds of lessons but for one reason or another (probably lack of confidence) ive stopped doing them. So i can drive, i just need practise and a bit of paper at the end of it!

I need to learn its one of those things in my life i havent achieved and its annoying.

Im thinking of booking it for over the summer hols...

Thank Post
    you will need to re-take your theory test if you took it more than 2 year ago (id get that done before you start anything so you can book your practical when ever without having to worry about it)

Private practice was the main thing for me, i went from having never driven before at christmas to passing my test at the end of march with 4 hours of lessons a week + private practice most days.

My instructor said that the examiners dis-like the intesive courses because people get sold the idea of "do this course for a week and you'll pass" which sadly isnt the case. If you can already drive then it should be okay as your not trying to go from "what does this peddle do" to passing in a week.

Id reccomend a local instructor that knows the examiners and the test routes, mine knew the way the test centre worked so well that he was able to give me practice in the same place i did my maneuvers in the test.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes my Theory is an issue. Its more a pain then anything having to resit it.

i was just looking at one websites "intensive courses" and its all in one packaage. Interesting what your Driving instructer said though. But like you said maybe as im not a first time driver i'll be ok.

Thank Post
    I'm not sure how you'll get confidence from a one week intensive course... in actual fact, it sounds like it must be quite a stressful course as you've got so much to cram in rather than just sitting back and learning from any mistakes you made throughout the week.

I'll give another vote for private practice as well. It sounds like you can drive fairly well so I'd go for it, what my parents did was, when I had got to the stage of "I'm ok at driving" I then got insured on their big old estate, it was a huge car! but as they said to me "if you can drive this and park it, you can drive anything else without any issues". Get a friend or an actual driving instructor with a big car and go for it!

Thank Post
    +1 for private experience. It's the best way. I had probably 3-4x more hours private driving than I did tuition. To be honest only two of my friends from 6th form did intensive courses, and compared to the conventional route were less proficient drivers. Then again they went from zero - pass in the week.

Thank Post
    vote for normal driving lessons over 1 week intensive course. The Intensive course is just a stressfull and cost an awful lot without guarantee of a pass(no matter what they advertise) i just passed my driving test last week, and did a similar thing to you. i originally started driving at 17 and went in for a test just before i went to uni, i made a silly mistake and didnt pass, for the next 4 years i didnt take any lessons all my money going towards university activities(read pub). Took them up again about 6 weeks ago and passed with one minor(used a private instructor that came from BSM, he was excellent). just put a deposit down on a 1.2 Corsa 2002 Comfort last night, i pick it up on Sat

Thank Post
    This thread reminded me of this:

YouTube - The Inbetweeners | Clutch Control | E4

Quality.

Thank Post
    Suppose the attraction to intensive courses is that you would be driving everyday and for longer periods, where as having odd lessons here and there means there a gap between each sessions. Guess only you know how you learn.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    good point Sarconia. My confidence issues i think were also down to depression, so im kinda hoping im past that. But good point.

My OH drives, but his car deaded.... apart from him i dont know anyone else who's willing to let me drive their car. :S

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Suppose the attraction to intensive courses is that you would be driving everyday and for longer periods, where as having odd lessons here and there means there a gap between each sessions. Guess only you know how you learn.
    I feel i need to just throw myself into it so i have no excuses or put off like i have for the last 10 years! 10 YEARS! Dear god! Im dissapointed in myself!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    My OH drives, but his car deaded....
    Get him to put a plug on it, and then you'll be able to mend it.

I'd agree with the trying to get some private practice, it helped me.

Thank Post
    What you need is regular lessons at a regular time. I did two hours every friday and I flew through it all. This was about 14 Years ago mind.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Yes my Theory is an issue. Its more a pain then anything having to resit it.
    I had to resit my theory because it ran out and yes, it was a pain (and an expense), but it was amusing to get a higher score on the hazard perception than my instructor who did a check test a week or two before, and only just scraped a pass (although at a higher pass mark)!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I had to resit my theory because it ran out and yes, it was a pain (and an expense), but it was amusing to get a higher score on the hazard perception than my instructor who did a check test a week or two before, and only just scraped a pass (although at a higher pass mark)!
    Ha! Brilliant! I was in that exact situation with my last driving instructor!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    thats not really true, my instructor said that they tend to go out all day with 2-3 people in the car so you dont actually do all the driving all day. Plus if you where stoping/starting and doing manouvers all day your feet would get tired.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast