+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Gordon Brown crashes the Labour Campaign....! in General; Originally Posted by Gibbo Typical blinkered attitude. Have you actually met any of today's Tories? Are you denying the policy ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Typical blinkered attitude. Have you actually met any of today's Tories?
    Are you denying the policy of not means testing benefits? So they are still paid out to the highest earners? Or that they refuse to close loopholes in the law that allow the richest to prosper while the poor become poorer? Tory policy is fine on the surface but dig deeper and its still the same old rotting corpse it was in the 90s.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Brown is a clown, but just think, this idiot will soon be in charge:

Thank Post
    Somebody give Gillian Duffy a ticket to this Thursdays leaders debate!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfisher View Post
    I also like the good old arguements of
    "I'm retired, your taxing me too much! How you going to pay off this debt?"
    "Raising taxes maam."
    "I'm retired, your taxing me too much! And what about the children! Somebody think of the children!"
    "Alright, but it'll cost you taxes."
    "Your taxing me too much!"
    LOL.

i prefer the old argument, taxes don't fund anything. that normally has people confused.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Are you denying the policy of not means testing benefits? So they are still paid out to the highest earners? Or that they refuse to close loopholes in the law that allow the richest to prosper while the poor become poorer? Tory policy is fine on the surface but dig deeper and its still the same old rotting corpse it was in the 90s.
    The problem is, if you push the rich too far, they simply up sticks and leave. We are in a global economy now. Monies, companies etc can move to more favorable countires at the drop of a hat. When it is reported that a multi-millionaire businessman paid 20p in tax last year he gets ridden rough-shod through the media. Imagine in that same person then up sticks and moves their entire business (that proberbly contibutes many millions per year to the UK economy) elsewhere. Simply screaming 'I want some of their cash because I'm poor' is not a relistic way of looking at things, even though many left-wing leaning politicos and media types like to portray it that way for their own purposes. What we should do is use available funds more wisely, because, and lets face grown up facts here, we as a nation are skint.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Watching Gordon today was like witnessing a car crash. We all slowed down to get a good look at the wreckage.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The problem is, if you push the rich too far, they simply up sticks and leave. We are in a global economy now. Monies, companies etc can move to more favorable countires at the drop of a hat. When it is reported that a multi-millionaire businessman paid 20p in tax last year he gets ridden rough-shod through the media. Imagine in that same person then up sticks and moves their entire business (that proberbly contibutes many millions per year to the UK economy) elsewhere. Simply screaming 'I want some of their cash because I'm poor' is not a relistic way of looking at things, even though many left-wing leaning politicos and media types like to portray it that way for their own purposes. What we should do is use available funds more wisely, because, and lets face grown up facts here, we as a nation are skint.
    One min you say we are in a global economy, the next you say we are skint. Maybe we wouldn't if some of the companies and non-doms paid their tax - but hey the Lord Ashcroft's of this world want it both ways, they want a Tory Government but don't want to pay tax.........which is a typical 'I'm alright Jack' Tory attitude. Can't stand Tories, Can't stand Nu Labour, give the Lib Dems a chance, although I'm not a fan of Clegg's Tory background.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Yes but is it a fair society where the rich can afford lawyers to get them out of paying tax? Or that people earning 70,000 get the same child tax benefits as those with less than 30,000? Its not about scamming the rich because they have done well. Its about not allowing unfair practices to continue amongst the elites. Why should they enjoy free will in society and freely laugh as they pay 3/4 of their would be tax bill to lawers so that they can get out of paying a penny in income tax to the country? Its madness how anyone can see it as anything but greed.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilfisher View Post
    How often in our daily routines do we think that the people we work with are idiots, have done something stupid etc?

How would we like it if our personal discussions on them were publicised for all, especially the person in question could see?
    Oui exactly, he's only human.
    It's a shame but I can see this really damaging labours campaign, the right wing press won't let it lie.
    Last edited by DrCheese; 28th April 2010 at 04:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    One min you say we are in a global economy, the next you say we are skint. Maybe we wouldn't if some of the companies and non-doms paid their tax - but hey the Lord Ashcroft's of this world want it both ways, they want a Tory Government but don't want to pay tax.........which is a typical 'I'm alright Jack' Tory attitude. Can't stand Tories, Can't stand Nu Labour, give the Lib Dems a chance, although I'm not a fan of Clegg's Tory background.
    A gobal economy means that funds can be shifted very, very easily now from one part of the world to another electronically, just as goods and services can be ordered cheaply and quickly from abroad. It does not mean 'one economy'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    will it be enough for the libdems to take some disillusioned labour votes ? under the current system, surely they need labour to do reasonably well, or atleast after today a lot better than expectations now are.

we could well get to a situation where the libdems have talked themselves up and up as kingmakers, when infact the tories won't need their help to secure a majority in the end.....not saying that's the preferred outcome. but it would atleast wipe the smirk off nick clegg's mug.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx
    Apparently She said:
    "you can't say anything about immigrants, all these Eastern Europeans, where are they coming from?"
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Define:bigot
    "a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own"
    "bigoted - blindly and obstinately attached to some creed or opinion and intolerant toward others; "a bigoted person"; "an outrageously bigoted point of view":
    Cant see whats bigotted with that. From what ive seen and heard it was infact Brown who was the bigot by not accepting an opinion differing from his own

Thank Post
    Just watched it.. Sky news had no right to release that given that Brown is in his parties PRIVATE car. I am all for freedom of information but come on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Yes but is it a fair society where the rich can afford lawyers to get them out of paying tax? Or that people earning 70,000 get the same child tax benefits as those with less than 30,000? Its not about scamming the rich because they have done well. Its about not allowing unfair practices to continue amongst the elites. Why should they enjoy free will in society and freely laugh as they pay 3/4 of their would be tax bill to lawers so that they can get out of paying a penny in income tax to the country? Its madness how anyone can see it as anything but greed.
    can't they just move their money somewhere else....or atleast have their earnings or be based in another jurisdiction ? there will always be places where they will be welcome.

london has actually done very well out of performing 'wealth management' for wealthy individuals and families. i'm sure the wealthy would rather not have all their income command punitive rates of taxation in the uk, and all the while they shift their money around and have it managed in london. plus, labour didn't get rid of the non-dom rule regarding foreign earnings...that's another reason why london is a favoured location for the foreign superrich. they aren't clobbered by taxes, and the tax authorities take a smaller slice of a much larger pie than it otherwise would have been.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, the very wealthy also do the following things:

Employ people and pay wages + tax
    Buy bigger 'toys' and pay tax on these
    Invest their wealth in smaller companies and charities

And a whole host of other things that I've just forgotten..........

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast