+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, School Of the future in General; was watching the news tonight and saw this school it looks way ahead in ict broadclyst school working i a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

School Of the future

was watching the news tonight and saw this school it looks way ahead in ict broadclyst school working i a primary myself this looks like way into the future i do like the look of it what do you think and if you are a tech there is there a chance of a visit. looks really good.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: School Of the future

This is bit like the Microsoft project in the US (http://www.microsoft.com/education/schooloffuture.mspx) it does raise interesting question. If primary schools become like this as standard then secondary schools have got to raise the bar.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

as a tech in a primary school this looks like a total nightmare but i will give them a ring in the new term like you said looks like the bar being raised and the problem we have is we need to get people into our schools as people can now choose what school they put there child into if schools fall behind they will get less of a intake so they get less money and then you are on a downward fall and when you are down its hard to get back up. one of the biggest things is that less people are having babys which means less children. looks like we have all got to get ahead of the bar.( i know it is worse for secondry schools as it is a totally different enviroment. i have done work in a secondry and now work in a primary and the diffrence is a lot but the gap need to be closed. ie teach them the correct way in a primary they will not have such a shock in a secondry.( like introducing passwords for users and making them more complex as they get older so when they do get to a secondary school they wont keep forgetting. thats only one point there are loads.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Primary been there done that got the t-shirt...

Yes I agree we have to get the whole lot right and certainly getting primary schools right and the idea of more complex passwords as they get older etc.

Also yes falling numbers due to low birth rate...but it is all right edugeek.net is doing its bit so in few years schools will be a run with little edugeekers.

We are simlair situation our numbers dropped due to lot less families in area and more students moving in.

Russ

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Fall in birthrate - depends where you are. Locally we have had a bit of an exodus due to industry movement in the area. School shrinking > failing but heaps of cash to turn around.

We think that's a problem here - kids are trained poorly in primaries to have no logons or perception of organising and filing work electronically. All these things are better introduced slowly and properly at the appropriate age.

Funny the site doesn't work in Firefox:

<meta name="GENERATOR" content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0">

Oh dear! ...maybe not so cool!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol must be your firefox it wors ok with mine but i know what you are saying about logins it is one of my biggest bugbares teachers telling me they dont need them they take to long for kids to use them but i have spoke to the head and agreed that it mus be implomented but i am still having some unhappy people. but like i say to them it is the future and we must change the kids are and they are learning ict quicker than some of the teachers. thats when it gets scary. and we are talking 5 years and up. my son is 5 and he has his own account at home has got a password and it takes him 20 seconds to log on and that in not somthing i have taught him hi has just watched a learned. he can also google and he love it because if he spells it wrong it helps him. he told me the other day he wanted to change his password because his sister knows it and she is 4.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol that's great alonebfg! My kids (3 & 5) have no problems with thier passwords.

We find that with our kids it's a major culture shock - it takes them at least 'til the end of year 7 to get it into thier heads. You don't teach kids the wrong way to spell - it's the same with IT - yes - it may mean slightly more work - but your teaching them the correct way to do it!

The site does 'work' - the sub-pages are broken tho' - look at art

That lecture theatre looks like it has 60 PCs! (see the slideshow)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

Where I do some bits and bobs we have all children with there own usernames and passwords, so thats 4 year olds and up, currently they are all set to one password for the younger ones but the older ones will start to be allowed to choose there own shortly, but after the staff were OH NO! they are like its great they only see there own work, its much easier its great and like it.

Just watched that slideshow, thats amazing, and impressive, I want one of them rooms in my place

Just been reading the schools prospectus, they go on about the access to pupils work from home, and they use a Smart Card system for school lunches which a view to wide extension of the scheme in the future such as Art Rooms, IT logon, Library, Purchases from school etc....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

well i am hoping to give the school a visit in the between new year ant bett i will get a good lok at how it was done ect and if anyone is intrsted i will get som pics how it was done and post it here if people want and they agree to it. it would be good to find out.

Thank Post

TBH, I'm not really convinced by the lecture theatre. I could see how a universtiy might like it, or even a seconday school but it would go exactly counter to the whole ethos of most primary schools. If I was head there, I wouldn't even let it in the door.
    Primary schools have long forgotten the days of children sitting in rows and teacher chalk and talk and, as far as I'm aware, secondaries are catching up. Why would you want to build a modern day equivalent of a 1950's classroom? How is that condusive to good group work? How can you even carry out a class discussion and give other children reasonable chance of looking at the person talking. I doubt many year 6 would even be able to see over the monitors! It looks to me like another spankingly good waste of money.
    I'd put computers in the classrooms concealed in the desks or something - so they can fold up or down as required.

As for passwords: I agree with the principle of not dumbing down stuff for children (which is why I threw out everything Windowbox branded!) However, in most primaries children share 2 per machine. Having individual username/passwords is just not practical. We have one logon per year group and children have their own folder. They can then do Save As... and put it into both folders.

Thank Post

Haven't looked at the link but as for primaries having low expectations that's down to the IT coordinators and so far I've yet to meet a coordinator who wasn't the one who missed the meeting when they were chosen for the role... Well that's the perception anyway

Having thrown down the gauntlet myself though and shown the teachers that the children actually do know more, will work to an organised format and can actually support their peers (well, the more adept at least) I've found the biggest problem is in fact the teachers own understanding. They hate not knowing, get all bent out of shape and don't see the benefit in letting the kids teach a little themselves and earn some responsibility points.

4 years on and I have to say the attitudes are a heck of a lot better and there's less resistance in my first primary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

But it depends on what the theatre is used for if used as classroom then no don't like design but if used as extension tot he classroom then I do.

Also reminds of a uni in usa they made a very simple change to design of lecture style room that changed dynamics's of the whole room they made it so the chairs swung around 360 degrees which means they could turn around and work with people behind them to side. along with network/power points for laptops This changed whole concept of the room and how it was used.

Russ

Thank Post

I think it looks more suited to a secondary school. from the picture in the paper the monitor screens could hinder the view of both pupil and teacher. Also if it is to be used as a classroom there doesn't seem to be much chance of verbal interaction between staff and pupils and unfortunately in this day and age this is becoming more important. However, as an ICT suite it looks great, sets the scene for pupils to work in rather than a converted classroom with 15 pcs between 32 pupils!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

as far as i can find out tht is a it suit not a classroom but i will find out when i visit but the school is one of the oldest in the uk but looks the most modern the outside dont lok nothing like the inside. as for the password thing y2 and 3 have set passord and year 4 above 5 char y5 above 6 char y6 above 6 with numbers and letters ( wont let me force them to do complex) but like i try and tell people comple is not hard just use s=$or 5 i=!or1 o=0 b=8or6 e=£ a=& and then just make a word ie simons =$iM0N or 5!m0N know is not that compex but it is within the rules and the teachers find it easy to remember. dont know how hard they are to crack but i think its ok for schools.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    Primary been there done that got the t-shirt...

Yes I agree we have to get the whole lot right and certainly getting primary schools right and the idea of more complex passwords as they get older etc.

Also yes falling numbers due to low birth rate...but it is all right edugeek.net is doing its bit so in few years schools will be a run with little edugeekers.

We are simlair situation our numbers dropped due to lot less families in area and more students moving in.

Russ
    the operation might be reversible, but I've quite got used to being cross-over rather than straight through thank you.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast