+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Morons at the Daily Mail discover ChatRoulette, hilarity ensues... in General; Originally Posted by timzim For those who can't/don't want to visit the actual site i just found this site which ...

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    For those who can't/don't want to visit the actual site i just found this site which gives a few amusing screenshots of ChatRoulette. Made me laugh anyway.
    Lol, hilarious. Thanks for the link. Especially this one:

2. 2 Thanks to tech_guy:

bossman (27th April 2010), mattx (27th April 2010)

Thank Post
    That's not GrumbleDook is it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    I mean, is it really such a shocker that younger people these days are much more de-sensitized than even 2 generations ago??? We have to be, to deal with all the increasing amounts of cr@p shoved on us in this world!
    Like what, exactly?

I found the tone of the article typically hysterical (it was the Mail, after all), but they raised at least one valid concern: it is not a good thing that a young girl's reaction to a bunch of men exposing their genitalia is "Oh well, I'll click on until I eventually get someone who isn't a pervert."
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 27th April 2010 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    Lol, hilarious. Thanks for the link. Especially this one:

My god, after a really crappy morning that has cheered me up no end.....Thanks.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    @mattx:

Where did ya get your catsuit from Matt I want one hehe!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I mean, is it really such a shocker that younger people these days are much more de-sensitized than even 2 generations ago??? We have to be, to deal with all the increasing amounts of cr@p shoved on us in this world!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Like what, exactly?
    I meant that previous generations (our parents, grandparents etc) never experienced the "online world" that we use, and all the rubbish that comes with it (spam email, unwanted exposure to 'adult' images, constant advertisment for gambling, phising scams, identity theft.....) in addition to all the other stuff that did happen to those older generations when they were young too (war, terror, famine, povety, debt, and so on).

All these things are perils of the Internet that most of us here just 'cope' with as part of our life because we are able to just "click next until we find something we like". But these things are foriegn concepts to a large proportion of those older users; it's not suprising that so many people *are* scared of computers/the internet when you see what CAN happen if you arn't careful.

but they raised at least one valid concern: it is not a good thing that a young girl's reaction to a bunch of new exposing their genitalia is "Oh well, I'll click on until I eventually get someone who isn't a pervert.
    Would the parents of these children prefer that their child have a nervous breakdown and run crying to Mummy about the "bad man on the internet" every time they see something they don't like? These so-called "young girls" are 16+ in age, by definition they are at least young adults, and are prefectly capable of deciding what and what not to view when online.

Personally, if it were my daughter, I'd rather she was able to just say "I don't like that, I'm moving on to another site". I certainly wouldn't be up in arms campaigning for the Internet to be governed because 'oh no my daughter saw a penis her life is ruined'.

What this whole argument boils down to is whiny nagging moany Mums like the writer of that article wanting to keep their precious 'innocent' child as 'innocent' and protected from the world for as long as possible, a completely idiotic concept if you ask me, wrapping kids in cotton wool and all that.

It's not like being able to see people doing adulterated things is not already abundant on the Internet, and yet this article makes this site sound like a brand-new form of perversion so evil it will make your eyes bleed. Google "Cam Chat", I'd wager you get hundreds of thousands of results.

These DM-reading/writing types of people only ever think new things are evil.
    If it were up to them, we'd all be keylogged, the Internet would only contain their paper's website and sites which they themselves have deemed suitable, we'd only be allowed to browse during set hours, computer gaming would be banned (as everyone at the DM knows, it causes children to become violent offenders), and every precious innocent person under the age of 18 would be kept seperate from the rest of us living in this cruel, cruel world for fear of corrupting their delicate minds.

It's all BS. Fact is, any of the 16 year olds who are *legally* viewing the site can also *legally* go and get first hand experience of anything they might catch on the camera. If they are under 16, they shouldn't be on the site anyway.

Maybe I'm the oddball for not being up-in-arms about it, but I just don't see what the big deal is.

And I will always stand by my argument that if you do not apply the parental controls, and/or do not supervise your child online, you have no right to complain about *anything* they do or see online.
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 27th April 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,067 Times in 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @mattx:

Where did ya get your catsuit from Matt I want one hehe!!
    I got it from the same place you got your gimp outfit from.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 741 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've got a few ideas for jokes on ChatRoulette but it's finding the time to do it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    I've got a few ideas for jokes on ChatRoulette but it's finding the time to do it.
    Just remember - if you can get arrested for it, it's not a 'joke'

11. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

tech_guy (27th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    but they raised at least one valid concern: it is not a good thing that a young girl's reaction to a bunch of new exposing their genitalia is "Oh well, I'll click on until I eventually get someone who isn't a pervert.
    Sounds like a life/relationships lesson right there - keep moving on until you find someone who isn't derranged, a pervert, thinking of murdering you in your sleep, likes wearing bunny slippers, etc, etc, etc....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete10141748 View Post
    These DM-reading/writing types of people only ever think new things are evil.
    If it were up to them, we'd all be keylogged, the Internet would only contain their paper's website and sites which they themselves have deemed suitable, we'd only be allowed to browse during set hours, computer gaming would be banned (as everyone at the DM knows, it causes children to become violent offenders)...
    I dunno, I've been playing eve-online for a number of years, and I occasionally meet people in real life and think "Really wish I could Pod this ".

I stick by we learn from experience, and it's better that people experience things for themselves, and make their own decisions on right/wrong, acceptable and not, than shield them from anything/everything we deem 'too mature' for them.

Tell a person "Don't press the red button" seal it in a protective case with lots of tape seals on, they'll think for ages what does the button do, consider ways they can press the button covertly, and usually they'll go press the red button and see what happens.
    Leave a person with a red button and a warning label, when it gives them the shock, they are unlikely to press it again.

It doesn't mean they should experience everything from any age, as causing harm is a bad thing, but if they are old enough to experience it and understand it, they need to learn about it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12