+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Question for Sheffield Techies in General; I was hoping to find out what ratio of computers to techs there are in Sheffield schools as we are ...
    Thank Post

Question for Sheffield Techies

I was hoping to find out what ratio of computers to techs there are in Sheffield schools as we are currently going through a redundancy situation and a reduction in contracts from 52 to 41 weeks.

The reason I would like to know is because we currently have one NM and two technicians, we have 800 desktops, 15 servers, projectors and Smartboards/Promethean boards in every room, etc. (approx. 1400 pupils, 170 staff).

So we have a tech to desktop ratio of 1:400 (tech to user 1:785) and we have been told by the head and finance manager that they have looked at other Sheffield schools and we still have too many IT staff. I was hoping to find out what the other local schools ratios were so when the unions come in in the next couple of weeks we can go into the meeting and say "this is how we actually compare to other local schools" as one way the finance manager told us he measured it was on square footage of school.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    A Sheffield school I used to work for currently have 2 senior technicians and one " normal" technician. Up until a year ago they have one Network Manager, one Senior technician and a technician.

I wouldn't say, given the size of your school, that you are over staffed. If anything I'd say you are under staffed. I'd heard that redundancies were on the cards.. sad times

A Secondary school in Rotherham that I know of currently have 1 Network Manager, an Assistant Network Manager, a Senior Technician and 2 technicians, a Media Tech and an apprentice.. and they are about the same size as you guys.

Lee

3. Thanks to BrianG from:

roty80 (26th April 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just re -read your post. Why does the Finanace manager work it out based on square footage of the school? How does he justify that way of calculation? Surely it would then depend on how fit the support staff were. Maybe the next step will be for fitness tests for you guys. See how long it takes to get from the office to the Phoenix building.

I thought that the, albeit rough, guidline on support ratios was 1 technician to 100 computers?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the reply.

We can't work out why he based it on square footage either. That is why I asked the question, so hopefully we can go in and say: 'yes they have only one technician and are the same size, but they also only have 100 computers. So how is that the same amount of work?'

We have tried to argue that it shouldn't be on sqaure footage and the BECTA guidlines say 1:150 for new computers and reliable network, 1:50 for older computers and/or problematic network. We just get told that they disagree. At the end of the day they will probably sack whoever they want anyway, no matter what the unions say.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The sad thing is the comparison with other schools when it should be based on industry. Schools have always been undermanned for IT support, but to use this basic undermanning as a basis for comparison is just not realistic IMHO.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suppose, like you say, at the end of the day they will do what they want. If it's a case of saving money they will do what they need to do.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    1:50 - 1:150 I think depending on age of equipment and efficiency of IT Support team?

Wes

edit: oops a little late with my post I see.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    The sad thing is the comparison with other schools when it should be based on industry. Schools have always been undermanned for IT support, but to use this basic undermanning as a basis for comparison is just not realistic IMHO.
    Completely agree.

Also, I know the school is trying to save £240k in wages but as part of our BSF Civica take over here next year anyway. So by the time the unions have settled with the head and the governors the school won't be saving any money on making one of us redundant and reducing everyone else's contract because Civica will be employing us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As I'm removed from the whole BSf thing, for now anyway, I don't know how it all works, properly. Do the schools save any money, or get to spend the saved money in other areas if Civica don't have to take on as many staff? I'm just trying to see where the incentive is to downsize so close to the take over.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread