+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, We're All Going To Die in General; Originally Posted by Tyiell Wouldn't work - he's so hard the plane wouldn't take off... I really hope you mean ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post
    Wouldn't work - he's so hard the plane wouldn't take off...
    I really hope you mean 'tough'...!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    Dirty Boy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    ...and the tone was lowered!! Tsk

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    I heard that Chuck Norris caused the quake: his hayfever caused him to sneeze while he was fetching a bowl of lava for his cornflakes

On a more serious note, I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam on Friday, and to be honest if the flights are on I'm going to take the risk, you only live once!
    Last edited by LosOjos; 21st April 2010 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshJohnson View Post
    I heard that Chuck Norris caused the quake: his hayfever caused him to sneeze while he was fetching a bowl of lava for his cornflakes

On a more serious note, I'm supposed to be flying to Amsterdam on Friday, and to be honest if the flights are on I'm going to take the risk, you only live once!
    Not if you are James Bond.....

Thank Post
    FN-GM said “10% risk of something going wrong with the aircraft is a big risk. There is always a risk but why would you make the risk even bigger.
    So 1 in every 10 planes is at risk of something going wrong becuase of the ash? Would you be ok with that? If the ash was not there, there wouldn't be this 10% riskb”

I don’t read it like that. I read it as 10% most or all the planes will have problems and 90% chance no planes have problems. Why would 10% be 1 out of 10 planes? Its not 10% of planes flying though the ash have problems. It is 10% chance the ash will cause problems for all planes that fly though.
    At least that’s how I interpret it.
    Last edited by Pottsey; 21st April 2010 at 11:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    FN-GM said ď10% risk of something going wrong with the aircraft is a big risk. There is always a risk but why would you make the risk even bigger.
    So 1 in every 10 planes is at risk of something going wrong becuase of the ash? Would you be ok with that? If the ash was not there, there wouldn't be this 10% riskbĒ

I donít read it like that. I read it as 10% most or all the planes will have problems and 90% chance no planes have problems. Why would 10% be 1 out of 10 planes? Its not 10% of planes flying though the ash have problems. It is 10% chance the ash will cause problems for all planes that fly though.
    At least thatís how I interpret it.

10% = 10 chances out of 100, which is the same as 1 chance in 10.

Hence 1 in 10 planes are at an increased risk if they fly through the ash...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    FN-GM said “10% risk of something going wrong with the aircraft is a big risk. There is always a risk but why would you make the risk even bigger.
    So 1 in every 10 planes is at risk of something going wrong becuase of the ash? Would you be ok with that? If the ash was not there, there wouldn't be this 10% riskb”

I don’t read it like that. I read it as 10% most or all the planes will have problems and 90% chance no planes have problems. Why would 10% be 1 out of 10 planes? Its not 10% of planes flying though the ash have problems. It is 10% chance the ash will cause problems for all planes that fly though.
    Costs of a risk are generally calculated by the cost of the hazard (in this case, a place crash) multiplied by the chance of the hazard occurring (crash due to ash damage). So you work out the cost as .1 (10% expressed as a decimal) multiplied by the number of flights. Then you work out if the benefits of going ahead are worth the cost.

So let's say you've got a plane and someone's life does actually depend on the flight. If you fly, there's a 10% chance that it'll crash, killing 5 people (medical place, very small, pilot, a few medics, patient). If you don't crash the patient will get the treatment they need and have a 100% chance of living. If this flight isn't done, then there's 100% chance of the patient dying.

So the risks balance out as 5 people * .1 vs. 1 person * 1. Cost of making the flight is .5 lives, cost of not making it is 1 life. So you fly.

Of course, this is a massively simplified and patently ridiculous example, which doesn't take economics, convenience and so on into account.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries

@Tyiell explains it

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyiell View Post

10% = 10 chances out of 100, which is the same as 1 chance in 10.

Hence 1 in 10 planes are at an increased risk if they fly through the ash...
    I think that what Pottsey is getting at is his interpretation is not that 1 in 10 planes are at risk of crashing, but that there is a 1 in 10 chance that all/most planes will be at risk, i.e. it's not a lottery of a particular plane having a problem but that they all/most will (don't know if I've put it any simpler than Pottsey did! lol)

Thank Post
    I think that what Pottsey is getting at is his interpretation is not that 1 in 10 planes are at risk of crashing, but that there is a 1 in 10 chance that all/most planes will be at risk, i.e. it's not a lottery of a particular plane having a problem but that they all/most will (don't know if I've put it any simpler than Pottsey did! lol)
    I see - you can see why they say that there are lies, damned lies and statistics!!! So you read it as saying all planes flying through the ash have a 10% increase of risk?

It's all down to interpretation - When I looked at it, I read it as 1 in 10 will experience negative effects of all the planes flying through the ash. Maybe all of them will be effected in some way, but 10% of them are at serious risk.

Re-reading it I suppose the former is more logical, but either way I think it's unnecessary risk to peoples lives!!

Thank Post
    I don't really know much about aviation but it seems to me that if there is even a slight chance that it's unsafe to fly then planes shouldn't fly.

There's not really much chance of surviving if a plane did fall out of the sky so it's simply not worth it when the risk is almost certain death.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Risk-wise, it's still considered in the same way. The assumption to make with a 10% risk is that it will affect 10% of the events involved. Whether this is by having a 1 in 10 chance that everything fails, or by 1/10 of the planes failing, it's calculated the same way.

14. Thanks to jamesb from:

LosOjos (21st April 2010)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There is a chance our passengers may die. For the sake of safety and good PR we will agree to the delay.

Wait, this is taking a few days longer then we thought. We are losing money! Get in the air! Get in the air!

Thank Post
    The Larry Vaughn law.

When a politician says its safe, run for the hills.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast