+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Is it just me, or has car insurance got reeeeeally expensive recently? in General; It was the same for all companies - we only enquired out of curiosity thankfully...
    Thank Post
    It was the same for all companies - we only enquired out of curiosity thankfully

Thank Post
    I had the same problem... last year it was £590-ish and this year the cheapest I could get was £640-ish (and that was the renewal quote).

Anything underwritten by eSure refused to insure me (ironic considering my renewal was with eSure) because of my 'age and model of car'. Admittedly I do drive a 4.3l V8 Merc However, I was insurable last year and now the car is a year older and I have another year's no claims discount!

Thank Post
    My car premiums with Direct Line were going up every year despite not making any claims so I swapped to Morethan and saved about 60%. The last 2 renewals haven't increased by more than a couple of %. Pet Insurance with Direct Line has gone up drastically but due to the age of one of my dogs I can't change it now. For a company that says they pass the savings of NOT being on price comparison sites I think their advert is a bit misleading.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    £4K to add our son and he's been driving for 3 years!
    You need to swap the Ferrari for a Mondeo

Thank Post
    Car insurance is ridiculous. My comparison was between bike and car insurance and it was a lot cheaper eg over £100 for me to get insured on a Honda Fireblade than it was my diesel car!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure I'll ever really understand insurance. I keep getting handles on aspects of it, and then it's all blown away.

For example - I used to drive a van, which meant I had to have business insurance as it's a commercial vehicle. This gave me all sorts of extra protections you normally don't get and cost about £100 more than personal. The van was low-value, small engine, and a highly secure vehicle (immobilizer, security grilles over the windows into the back, security grille between the driver and the back, alarm).

Recently I switched to driving a car which is more than twice the value of the van, and has none of the security. When I was talking to the insurance company about changing over the vehicle on my policy the price went down by £100. I asked them what it would be if I switched to personal insurance (less coverage for certain things, lower payouts for certain things, no loss-of-earnings compensation for damage or loss of the vehicle, etc). It immeadiately jumped up again.

They couldn't explain why. I'm guessing that it's similar to the classic car issue, that people who drive them tend to take care of them as they value them more than normal drivers. So if you've got business insurance, it's assumed that you'll take better care of the vehicle as your livelihood might depend on it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Car insurance is ridiculous. My comparison was between bike and car insurance and it was a lot cheaper eg over £100 for me to get insured on a Honda Fireblade than it was my diesel car!
    That's because of the risk to passengers - the same reason teenage boys insurance is always a lot higher than girls. The fact that boys will race about only contributes a tiny amount more to their insurance than to an equivalent aged girl. The first thing any young lad does when passing his test is fill his car up full of mates and go driving around all day just for the sake of it - girls tend not to do this.

Interestingly enough, when I put my partner on my policy (despite the fact that she is only 20 and been driving for only a year, AND never actually drives my car - no way!), my premium dropped by nearly £100. Result!

Thank Post
    To add to my car insurance post above, another oddity:

When I first got my car (Volvo V70 D5), I enquired about putting my partner on the insurance policy, and was basically told no way because she was only 20 and had been driving for less than a year (as above). However, she had to go away for a couple of days with work, and volunteered to drive. Her car wasn't big enough for her, her colleagues and all of their stuff, so I phoned my insurers to ask about putting her on the policy for a week as temporary cover. This was only a month into my policy. The woman I spoke to then proceeded to tell me that if I were to put her on the policy for a weeks temporary cover, it would cost me £100ish, but I could add her permanently for the remainder of the year and it would lower my premium by the same about.

Never did work this one out!

Thank Post
    Apparently, one of the main factors behind the big increases in premiums is the large increase in claims. the "where there's a blame there's a claim" mentality that now prevades our society means that more people are being drawn into making claims in order to make a bob or two where before they wouldn't have bothered. The huge increase in tv ads for accident chasing solicitors has led to increased payouts and therefore the insurance companies are having to recoup those costs.

Simples.

Thank Post
    I have found in recent years that when you get a renewal quote from Direct Line & More Than you can quite often save money & get new customer discount by applying online to the same company as if you were a new customer (with exactly the same details). I have saved hundreds of pounds on home insurance doing the same. Don't assume the renewal quote from your existing company will be their best price.......

Also, for you single males...... try adding your Mum (if she is a driver) to your policy. My son found he could save money by adding my wife as a named driver to his insurance policy even though she would never drive his car & they don't even live at the same address!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    Also, for you single males...... try adding your Mum (if she is a driver) to your policy. My son found he could save money by adding my wife as a named driver to his insurance policy even though she would never drive his car & they don't even live at the same address!
    Just don't put her down as the primary driver.

Thank Post
    of course....

Thank Post
    yup mine looks like going up not had renewal letter through yet but was bored on saturday so went round various web sites last year paid £320ish this year cheapest is about 420 and thats with swiftcover who i have heard bad things about one company quoted me £3600 lol. For the record i drive a 08 plate 1.6 tdci fiesta zetec-s not exactly a fast/expensive car

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-UK View Post
    That's because of the risk to passengers - the same reason teenage boys insurance is always a lot higher than girls. The fact that boys will race about only contributes a tiny amount more to their insurance than to an equivalent aged girl. The first thing any young lad does when passing his test is fill his car up full of mates and go driving around all day just for the sake of it - girls tend not to do this.

Interestingly enough, when I put my partner on my policy (despite the fact that she is only 20 and been driving for only a year, AND never actually drives my car - no way!), my premium dropped by nearly £100. Result!
    Aye, you can blame the 'compensation culture' for that one - the money that's paid out has to come from somewhere.

Thank Post
    hmm its not just over a year they go up and down, ive been looking at car insurance for the last few months and just past my driving test yesturday....

Citreon Saxo VTR last month my quote was: £972.50 this month: £1,248.65, nothing changed same car.

think ive decided on a nice Ford Fiesta LX 2003 1.4 petrol, insurance quote: £1,106.90 :/
    Last edited by Flakes; 21st April 2010 at 03:59 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast